Thread: Tyre Poll
View Single Post
Old 16-Dec-2004, 23:20
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
A big objective seems to be to keep it cheap and make it a level playing field so it's down to the skill of the rider. Therefore, a control tyre makes sense.

The CB500 class uses Bridgestone BT090. I'd never used them until I raced them, but some of you will know the lap times that are possible on them. I've never seen anyone crash as a result of losing grip, more like braking too late, hitting someone etc, so the tyre is not the limiting factor in the lap times, although it would be intersting to ride a CB5 on SC's?!? To be honest and no disrespect because I include myself in this, most of us won't notice any difference in the tyre on a Monster IMHO. Just ensure you choose a tred that will perform in the wet.

New Era will have Mark from Holbeach Tyres at every event. Mark stocks everything, but always has plenty of the control tyres in stock. He currently charges £115 a set, so cheap and that's fitted. To change tyres, he'll charge £5 per loose wheel.

Everyone in CB5's and Hornets use warmers. They're not essential obviously and do increase the price and the complexity/hassle factor on the day. 090's warm up quickly and as you only get one lap to warm them, they would have to. Question is, are you prepared to hold back or just go for it on the first lap on cool tyres, especially the first left hander you go into, they'll be freezing, especially if the track temp is down.

As for wets, they weren't allowed in my first year on the CB5, then they started appearing. If someone has them and someone has not, forget it, the difference is huge. It takes only a few minutes to change for £10 if the queue is small, but it's mahem when it rains on/off as you don't know what to do (sound familiar Monty). You can go pretty fast on a control tyre, but it has to have loads of tread, so don't choose a super corsa or everyone will crash, especially at Donny.

So my advice would be to choose a single control tyre, so there is no choice and everyone is the same. As for warmers, you'll need access to power which is not always available or a gennie which realistically only two can share even on a big one, you'll need warmers obviously and two paddock stands. I'll sit on the fence - it's the games they play with your mind that makes the difference - ''are my tyres up to temp, shall I go for it yet or just give it 90%, oh begger, someones just gone past me''. As for wets - if no, then at least you're all in the same boat/gravel trap, if yes, they cost about £200 and will last you all season, but it may be that you never use them. It's really really hairy trying to go for it in the wet on non-wets and lots crash as a result.

If you want to keep it cheap and even, if a little more interesting, go for one control tyre , no warmers and no wets. (just glad it's not me)

WeeJohnyB