View Single Post
Old 12-Oct-2004, 19:26
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by antonye
What if you already have a 620ie and wanted to take part in the racing? Would you sell the bike to buy an older monster or purchase another monster purely to race? It doesn't make sense to do that if you're in that position.

Why not? Surely that's the situation everyone is in? If you have a 748, 916, 996, 999, ST, Multistrada or whatever you're still in a position where you have to decide to purchase another bike purely to race or even sell the one you've got if that is the only way you're going to afford to race. Why should a 620ie owner be any different just because their base bike is closer to the regs than mine?

In any case, think about the market the 620ie Monster or SS is aimed at. Surely they're the 'my first Ducati' owner? Probably a first time 'big bike' for some or a commuter for others? Let's face it the type of person who buys one of these as their road bike isn't really the type of person who has performance at the top of their priority list when choosing bikes are they? Are they really the type of person who is going to think, "I know, I've been riding 6 months now I'll start racing"? Even if they did would they then race their road bike with all the risk of totalling it and not being able to ride to work? I don't think so.

And, final thought, just how many people are in this position? Who in the DSC has a 620ie and is gagging to race it? I bet there's no-one, but even if there is they're still gonna be in the minority when stacked up against the owners of other bikes who will have to buy a race bike.

So, I still say 600 carby only. £1000-1500 ish for a reasonable bike, £10 for a bit of lockwire, £50 for a catch tank and race the tit5 off it. Keep everything standard, it'll be the same for everyone.

Brakes, well what's wrong with a single disc if everyone has one? They'll all have to brake earlier. longer braking area = more chance of overtaking on the brakes for the brave? In any case you could say you're allowed four brake pads, then you could have a twin disc setup with ordinary brembo goldlines or a single disc with a pad per piston (if two pad per piston brakes are good for stopping a 999R from 170 I'm sure that a single one would cope with a 600)

Control tyres? They don't have to be a single control tyre, just limited to a type of tyre. If the idea is to stop 'cheque book' racing do you want to allow the rich blokes to throw on a fresh set of the stickiest tyres for every race? and wets if it's raining? Nightmare, spiralling costs straight away.

Why not say you can choose from a single similar class of tyre? Why not a choice of Pirelli Diablo's, Bridgestone 014's, Dunlop 207RR's, Michelin Pilot Sport etc..Reasonable fast road/ occasional track day tyres that should be grippy enough for anyone in the dry, and you use the same in the wet. Sure you won't go as fast as someone on snotball rentecs or full wets, but neither will anyone else 'cos they'll all be on the same type of tyre.