Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Aug-2005, 17:11
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Heated Grips - why are the Ducati ones so expensive

Been thinking about fitting heated grips for the winter ( JPM don't even think about the ageist comment I know will have gone through your mind when you saw this thread go up :P) saw the Ducati ones on Ducati Store website but can't believe the price, £230 eek.

Anyone know if thats what all dealers charge for them or of any good options??
Old 05-Aug-2005, 17:15
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Don't buy heated grips - they're not the answer to keeping your hands warm!

At low temperatures the body shuts down extremities to keep it's "core" alive - who needs limbs anyway? Thus to keep your hands and feet warm you are better off keeping your body warm.

Go for a heated bodywarmer instead and you'll find that your arms and feet stay warm too. All you need is a plug under the seat and you can use it when you want. It also means no unsightly grips on your bike through the summer months, and they're cheaper and less hassle to fit too.
Old 05-Aug-2005, 17:20
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo
Been thinking about fitting heated grips for the winter ( JPM don't even think about the ageist comment I know will have gone through your mind when you saw this thread go up :P) saw the Ducati ones on Ducati Store website but can't believe the price, £230 eek.

Anyone know if thats what all dealers charge for them or of any good options??

I saw the title and I couldn't believe it!!! Sorry but you are officially OLD! :P
Old 05-Aug-2005, 17:29
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Antony has got it dead right.

I've tried heated, grips, gloves, waistcoats, willy warmers, everything for riding thru winter and the waistcoat is by far the best IMHO.

heated grips do help as in you can wear thinner gloves when its cold though, but thay work better with either a full fairing (not on a Multi) handguards, handle bar muffs, or 2 litre plastic milk cartons cut open, used as handguards, which look really NICE!

Silk gloves under some Hein Gericke lobster gloves are the best, and of course the heated waistcoat.
Old 05-Aug-2005, 17:51
Big Twin

Problem is i have poor circulation, ( i shouldn't have said that with JPM lurking) I can keep my body as warm as I like but my hands and feet get cold Too many years spent riding pedal bikes in winter has taught me that one

As Shaun says I'll fit handguards to keep wind off then a good thin thinsulate lined glove but i want somehing to keep me icle fingers from going blue.
Old 05-Aug-2005, 17:56
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by JPM

I saw the title and I couldn't believe it!!! Sorry but you are officially OLD! :P

We know we are old, one day you too will be old and will own your dream bike and trailer until then please go back to your room and close the door quietly
Old 05-Aug-2005, 18:18
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Mike

i think your age is just right, perfect in fact, ignore them young farts
Old 05-Aug-2005, 18:20
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
NURSE!!! They're at the computer again .... can you wheel them away?
Old 05-Aug-2005, 18:34
Mille

Mood: Replacing 999...
OK I will probably regret this but I have had two R1100S's. Last one was a boxer cup replika (trying to justify myself here!).

Anyway, being a BMW it came with heated grips. Being BMW it came with two settings, hot and meltingly hot.

However if I wore thicker gloves for the winter, it stopped the heat coming through. If I wore thinner gloves, my hands were nice and warm on the palms but cold on the back.

I settled for medium thickness gloves (Alpinestars gortex) on a hot setting and found them pretty good. BUT I agree, pointless if the rest of you is cold.

Having been used to them I would be lying if I said I hadnt considered them again, but I dont ride my Ducati enough in the winter to warrant it.

On prevous bikes when I was commuting all weathers I tried 'Oxford Muffs' and found them no good at all.

Heated grips work if you get decent ones, I have tried cheap ones and they dont work & look crap too. If you are going to get them, get the proper ones, even see if BMW fit them, and get a heated vest. That combination would see you through most things I would have thought.

Now I will await the onslaught of having been a BMW rider with heated grips. Bring it on!!!
Old 05-Aug-2005, 18:35
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
Mike

i think your age is just right, perfect in fact, ignore them young farts

Children of the 50's who've never grown old Shaun

Meant to ask, where were you born ??