Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Aug-2005, 13:24
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Fuel tank filling - update

I’m having a problem getting fuel tank to fill on the numpty. Ran out of fuel 2 weeks ago at 130 miles despite being certain I’d filled it to the top. On Saturday evening I went to garage took my time filling it, tipping bike from side to side as I did so, pushed down on forks and seat and could have sworn it was as full as possible, rode less than a mile home parked it on paddock stand and thought I’d check, fuel was no where near filler. Off with petrol can to garage, came back and it took almost 5 litres!! Sunday did 150 miles no problem, pulled in for fuel and once again took my time filling it, fuel meter showed 2.8 gals used yet I got about 9 litres in, I even moved bike whilst filling it to see if that worked. Once again rode off stopped after a mile or so and it was no where near the top. This happened every time I fuelled, only way round it was to fill, ride about 20 miles then fill it again, not easy in north west Scotland where fuel stops are few and far between on a Sunday. I use the fuel meter all the time and can now tell anyway but its still a guess as to how much is actually in there and I’m having to stop at 100 miles just to be safe.

Does anyone know if there is a breather on the fuel tank which might be blocked?? Or can suggest a better way to fill it.

[Edited on 25-8-2005 by Gizmo]
Old 22-Aug-2005, 18:28
Big Twin

Mood: Happy.
Hello Gizmo,

I am sorry to hear your problems with your Numpty.

Yes, there is a fuel tank breather valve it situated under the pillion seat and is white/off white in colour, round and the external diameter is 75mm or nearly 3 inches in old money. Internal diameter is 48mm x 48mm in depth.
Sorry, I'm unable to be precise with measurements as I don't have any callipers or vernier gauge etc.
It is held in place by 6 Allen screws, C shaped metal Rollover Plate (A type of washer to spread the load) then the breather valve and lastly a rubber O-ring type gasket.

The 3 items cost about £80 - £90 the plastic breather being the most expensive. The "Rollover Plate and the rubber O-ring type gasket being about £3 - £4 each.

There is a moving /lifting float within the fuel tank breather valve. I suppose this could stick or jam. I'm certain that the breather valve lets air and petrol pass in to the black plastic Fluid Recovery Reservoir located nearby and connected by hoses.

I'm fully aware of the costs of these parts because when I had my bike re-sprayed the idiot who sprayed it installed the breather valve incorrectly despite me giving him a photocopy of the original workshop manual. I have witnesses, my wife, Paul (Phsyclist), Loz, who both saw petrol pouring out the back of my bike after a fuel stop, a mate, and a Ducati dealership yet he still denied all responsibility when I approached him regarding reimbursement costs.

If you need any info on the multi just inform me and I'll have a go at scanning the manual and sending it to you as an attachment.

Good luck, I hope you manage to sort the problem.
Old 22-Aug-2005, 20:06
Big Twin

thanks for the comments, i'd seen the breather on the parts liting but didn't know if it had moving parts which could stick. thinking about it there might be a float which opens when tank is emptying leting air flow in to replace fuel and gradually closes as you fill tank. i wonder if that float is stuck in the closed or partially closed position ? Bike is under warranty and when I phoned Duc Leeds they hadnt seen this problem before. they promised to phone DucUK and 10 minutes later they called back and told me someone from Duc uk was visiting tomorrow and they'ed speak to them about it. Bike goes in Friday for new clocks ( misting problem) and they might look at it then. I'm loathe to strip the breather myself whilst under warranty. be interested to get the breather pages if you can scan them.

Sorry to hear about your problem, guess its best to put it together yourself then you know its done right, it shouldnt happen if you pay to get job done, name and shame the painter
Old 22-Aug-2005, 23:31
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Mike

i have experienced similar prob a few times whereby you think you have brimmed the tank only to find you do cosiderably less than expected mileage. The 2 worst times were on the Lands End to John O Groats charity ride which really messed me up early in morniong with no petrol stations open in the highlands, and also down in the Sahara where there was a shortqge of stations. I think igts down to the tank design and getting an airlock in the part of the tank under the seat. Bloody annoying

Sorry for speelling this isnt a qwert keyboard here.

I have tried movong the bike, shaking it etc but one in ten it happens no matter what you do.
Old 23-Aug-2005, 01:35
500SD

I sit on the bike whilst filling and jiggle the thing from side to side... a bit like a dad dancing at a wedding...
Old 23-Aug-2005, 12:18
Big Twin

Gizmo, I have the Multistrada workshop manual on CD if thats any use to you? Let me know and I will either post it to you or meet up with you. Funnily enough I passed your house on Sunday, Wanted to let the R stretch its legs a little up the Shap road!
Old 23-Aug-2005, 22:27
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
Mike

i have experienced similar prob a few times whereby you think you have brimmed the tank only to find you do cosiderably less than expected mileage. The 2 worst times were on the Lands End to John O Groats charity ride which really messed me up early in morniong with no petrol stations open in the highlands, and also down in the Sahara where there was a shortqge of stations. I think igts down to the tank design and getting an airlock in the part of the tank under the seat. Bloody annoying

Sorry for speelling this isnt a qwert keyboard here.

I have tried movong the bike, shaking it etc but one in ten it happens no matter what you do.

There has to be a fix Shaun, its impossible top do big mileage without knowing you have fuel left. I can live with the duff gauge as long as the tank fills. If i'm stuck with 120 mile between fils i might as well use 999. i'm hoping this breather thing is the problem, might pull hose of and give it blow job

know what you mean about french or italian keyboards, weird typing on them, try a chinese one
Old 23-Aug-2005, 22:28
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Rally
I sit on the bike whilst filling and jiggle the thing from side to side... a bit like a dad dancing at a wedding...

yup, tried that, also tried almost lying bike on its side as well, anyone in the garage probably thinks i've gone mad
Old 23-Aug-2005, 22:31
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by MARTIN H
Gizmo, I have the Multistrada workshop manual on CD if thats any use to you? Let me know and I will either post it to you or meet up with you. Funnily enough I passed your house on Sunday, Wanted to let the R stretch its legs a little up the Shap road!

yup, that would be great Martin, email me the file if it isnt too big if not I'll be out Sunday and Monday.

what time did you go by?? thought i saw a duc with a sports car behind about 9AM just before i headed off to the midge mash. take it the r was a bit more fun over Shap
Old 23-Aug-2005, 22:39
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Mike its not a solution but being very slow and carefull when filling is the best i have come up with. Not really good solution.

Chinese keyboard must be velly hard werk.

Let me know when you find the solution.

i spoke to a knowledgeable insider who said the seat/ tank thing was a bit of a compromise of form over function, neither being satisfactory.