Ducati Sporting Club UK
Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers!
This section allows you to ask questions about insurance directly to Ducati Insurance and receive a reply!

Old 28-Oct-2008, 12:00
GTL

None of our life policies or mortgage policy covered for death on the track. We'd enquired at the time of taking them out. And to my knowledge they don't exist.
And they mostly also have a clause for not riding a motorcycle on the road too.
We had a special track policy, although I can't remember who it was with. They took a very very long time to pay out and the pay out was minimal.
So, the moral of the story is that each time you go out on the track you not only risk yourself but your family too, 'ffraid to say. No mortgage settlement, no money to pay for the funeral, everybody and their aunt knocking on their door to settle credit card debts and overdrafts. It's not pretty, Frank.
A black picture, but a true one.
Old 28-Oct-2008, 13:19
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Thanks Annette, sadly thats pretty much the impression I had of the products available too.

Regards - Frank
Old 28-Oct-2008, 13:46
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
You can get the death cover, but it's not cheap ... I was paying £200/mth
Old 28-Oct-2008, 13:58
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

Before the start of this DD season I doubled checked my two life policies that I was covered while on track. I declared it in writing, and both Standard Life and Liverpool Victoria wrote back to confirm that all is ok.

Also, confirmed my BUPA is ok should I need bones stuck together, and critical illness and accident should I need looking after.

Although racing is in itself dangerous, insurers have a big book of risks and quite likely they take the view that a season of organised club racing is no less a risk in the grand scheme of things than what someone does for a job all day (construction, courier, lion tamer), and what they might get up to at the weekend (rugby, shooting, DIY).
Old 28-Oct-2008, 15:36
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Personal Accident Cover

My separate personal accident cover with Norwich Union has no clause precluding death cover for road riding.
Old 28-Oct-2008, 16:08
Big Twin

Mood: Waiting for the change (Not the menopause)
What about CB, I thought that he was an agent for some American insurance company that covered for racing and other "not so safe in the eyes of the insurance underwriters" type policy.
Old 28-Oct-2008, 17:25
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
My annual travel insurance has a clause that allows riding a motorcycle 'up to 125cc' providing you hold a licence to do so. I had to contact them to confirm that my policy was ok with the fact that I was riding a 1000cc bike as the form of transport for my holiday! They checked and said it was noted on an addition to the cover-no additional cost.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!