Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 09-Nov-2009, 08:27
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicoops
Just wondering what your testing for here ?
My bike was well off the pace last time out, what other testing can be done prior to taking the heads off ?
cheers peter

A leak down test will test the sealing on the Rings as well as both inlet and exhaust valves, Carried out at TDC on the compression stroke.
Ideally you would carry it out at 100psi so as to get a percentage reading, but I find 60psi to be better as you need to lock the engine at TDC with a bit of wood between the swingarm and rear wheel as even 60psi would spin the engine over

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 13-Nov-2009, 18:59
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
In a quest to save some weight off my 173kg porker I have been to see a local guy about modifying my exhaust to turn it into a 2 into 1 that I can then fit my Harris Titanium can to, which I last used on my Class B bike.

Picked up my 2 into 1 conversion on the way home and am very pleased with the quallity and price.
I may get around to fitting it to the bike this weekend but the priority is to finish off the race harness and get the bike running again.
But once the exhaust is fitted I'll take some pics.

Old 13-Nov-2009, 21:58
Mille
Bikes: M620ie, DD583R #30

How much is too much?

Quote:
Depending on time available I would like to get around to removing the heads, lapping the valves in and reshimming as well as fitting new Piston Rings. Although a recent Leak down test only showed a small acceptable leak level.

What sort of % leak would be acceptable ?, should you be trying to get it down to 5 - 10% on a 600, also what sort of compression should there be ?

Good luck fitting the 2in1.
Old 13-Nov-2009, 22:43
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicoops
What sort of % leak would be acceptable ?, should you be trying to get it down to 5 - 10% on a 600, also what sort of compression should there be ?

Good luck fitting the 2in1.

When I originally checked my 620 a few months ago I got approximately 3% leakage on each cylinder when pressurised to 60psi
I was told if its below 8% not to worry, above that and you have hissing in either the inlets of exhasut ports then its worth lapping the valves in.
If its hissing through the crankcase breather then consider new rings.

Hopefully fitting the 2 into 1 will be down to good design and craftsmanship and not luck, Its the harness I need the luck for

Old 14-Nov-2009, 23:37
MotoGP God

Quote:
Its the harness I need the luck for

How right I was
Spent all day finishing off the harness and fitting it to the bike, by lunch time I had it all in place and flicking the Ignition Toggle switch resulted in the clocks going through the usual checks and then the immobiliser light going out.
But after that it was all down hill, I just couldn't get the Starter Solinoid to pull in. The bike was in neutral with the Green neutral light on, the wire fron pin 38 of the body connector on the ECU that normally goes to the sidestand was connected to Earth to over ride the interlock. The operation of the RH switch gear was checked and checked out as it should.

I have previously checked the ECU/Clocks/Transponder key on my S2R and they worked fine, the bike ran all be it a bit rough (no suprise there)

The Harness came from a breakers with damage to a dozen wires or so including 3 or 4 going to the clocks, but I replaced these and fitted a new connector to the Air temp/MAP sensor.
And the Clocks/ECU set up came from the states and maybe from a later model.
So currently the Bike powers up, fuel pump primes but nothing happens when the start button is pushed.

I maybe looking for a broken wire within the loom or a compatability issue between a later ECU and a early harness, although the only difference I can make out is the later bikes using a clutch switch that goes to pin 33 on the ECU body connector to allow you to start the bike when its in gear when pulling the clutch in. I know my S2R needs its lights on to run but I've tried this by putting 12V on to pin 2 of the clocks connector but it hasn't sorted the starting problems although the clocks do light upnicely.

Will see if I can get any futher with it tomorrow, may even fit the setup back on to the S2R just to check all the units are still working.

Old 15-Nov-2009, 09:43
MotoGP God

Just put the ECU, Dash and Ignition Key on my 2006 S2R 800 and that started up OK. so it looks like there is an issue with the harness.

Anybody got a wiring diagram for a 2002 M620Sie that they could post up or point me in the direction of as I only have a wiring diagram for the 2005 model.
There may be another differnce in the two that i'm not aware of

Old 15-Nov-2009, 09:53
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Kev, you could just as easily bypass the ecu and wire the starter circuit conventionally.
Old 15-Nov-2009, 10:03
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Just put the ECU, Dash and Ignition Key on my 2006 S2R 800 and that started up OK. so it looks like there is an issue with the harness.

Anybody got a wiring diagram for a 2002 M620Sie that they could post up or point me in the direction of as I only have a wiring diagram for the 2005 model.
There may be another differnce in the two that i'm not aware of

They are different found that out with Rattlers dd bike when he sent his loom to Track Electrics, the Haynes Manuel I have has 3 or 4 different looms which look pretty much the same until you look at the ecu connections.
Old 15-Nov-2009, 14:05
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Kev, you could just as easily bypass the ecu and wire the starter circuit conventionally.

I've had to do just that as there is no neutral switch wire going to the ECU, not used in this way on the early models, neither is the clutch switch. So as far as the ECU is concerned the bike is in gear with the clutch out so not allowing me to start it.

So I now have it running so will look at fitting the PC3 USB next, but not today

Old 15-Nov-2009, 23:35
MotoGP God

With the 620 now running and still having a few hours to spare today I decided to do a bit to the Class B bike and then take a few pics of which this is one.

Even had time to pop out on the S2R, missed Kev, Trudi, Dave & Brenda at H-cafe but caught up with Nev748 over there, good to see he's looking after my old 748
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	Photo0034.jpg Views:	248 Size:	114.6 KB ID:	11321  

Last edited by skidlids : 15-Nov-2009 at 23:39.