Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 13-Oct-2013, 06:14
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
Exclamation 2013 Badger blog - careful ,it's a big 'un

Well here’s a summary of 2013 purely from a personal selfish point of view, if anything you read offends you then pahahahahaha, tough!

I started the year with a few targets, to get my first win, to survive, to finish top 3 and to enjoy racing with some top mates. If you wanna bypass reading all this, I succeeded with them all.

Snett – total washout so went down to Brands to watch a couple of mates in Thundersport.

Oulton – mid pack qually but an awesome first race with Steve Newman, bringing home my first pot, a hard fought for 3rd but a fuelling error (not putting enough in) cost me another 3rd as I ran out of the stuff with just over a lap to go in race 2 (tosser!). This shame was compounded by my entourage of fans standing right at the point I bimbled to an embarrassing stop, with head hanging low and marshals waving me off the track I pushed the forlorn Badger through the barrier with lid on and visor down to hide my sulking face. On top of this I wondered who in God’s name this Jim Brian character was, an appearance of such talent was definitely not in my script (pesky newcomers)! As it turned out my troubles were nothing compared to others, the start line melee of race 1 left a couple of decent chaps far more battle scarred than my ego. Brummy Dave popped his shoulder out, Chris Clarke knocked himself out and Si Willis’s tyre had a chunk taken out, a bad way to start the year but I enjoyed the pot.

Anglesey – a track I’ve always liked but 6th in class in qually didn’t inspire me greatly and once more Jim feckin Brian (WhoTF??). Race 1 restored my faith in myself however with 2nd place, it all seemed to go to plan (Mr Hallifax excepted) and that Brian fella put back in his place. I knew the Brummeister was never going to be far away but who was this Andrew Claridge bloke? Never mind, he won’t be a problem. As many know I’m quite a fan of my duvet so to be out on track for the Sunday warm-up was somewhat of a novelty, but by jingo I was glad I put the effort in. Half a lap into the session Badger stopped playing and I had to pootle round back to the paddock. Aided by the splendid Simon Willis we found both spark plugs had given up and a new pair were swiftly donated by the aforementioned gentleman. Just as Badger was being put back together Ghostie wanders by “that fuel hose is too long, it’ll kink” he commented but what did he know? Not long till it was race 2 time and as the gate was opened Badger spluttered to a halt, I leaned him up against a barrier, frantically seeking an explanation as the rest of the grid prepared for the warm up lap. A badly kinked fuel line came into my view, a bit of pulling and wedging later Badger was alive once more but I had to start from the back of the grid, 8 red mist filled laps later I’d pulled myself up to 4th. Another 4 and I may have snatched 3rd but this fly-by-night Claridge geezer had a pot, bless him. In the holding area someone asked what had happened “kinked my bloody fuel line” I replied and immediately wished I’d kept my gob shut, Ghostie was well within ear shot! “You f*ckin idiot, what the f*ck did I tell you!” came the mild mannered supportive encouragement from behind the dark shades, but how could I argue? Anyway, Mr Brian had binned it, tee hee hee, that’ll teach the ne’er-do-well to mess with the big boys. Then, oh sh*t! He may have dropped it but he’d set a new lap record, crap, this guy knew his onions and was a threat! Race 3 didn’t go to plan either, too many errors let Brummy and Jim get away from me and with Tom on sparkling form I had to settle for another 4th spot.

Donington – was a no go for me right from when the schedule was announced, was my little girl’s 9th birthday and as much as I love racing and all who make it so good there was only 1 winner for my attention that day. Shame really as rumours soon surfaced of a most unceremonious dismount by Mr Jenkins and I was a tad upset I missed it for he generally does so in quite a spectacular fashion.

Snett – a re-arranged fixture that was always going to be difficult, with no chance of getting the Friday off work, the strong prospect of rain and my god-daughter’s confirmation on the Sunday meant time (and my buttocks) was too tight for I to be possible. A new name begun to get mentioned too, of a chap who wears his hair the wrong way round on his head, a shiny pate but with a furry chin, how odd! As Andrew Blomfield they address him.

Cadwell – By now it was clear Tom was going to run away with the championship and here on my favourite track normal service resumed, he set class pole, as a local boy, Jim was expected to, and did, qualify well, Brummy always goes well there and did too, I crashed and the 2 Andys squeezed in ahead of me. Sadly race 1 was the reason for the saddest news to date in DD, the retirement of Brummy Dave. As I crossed the start/finish line at the end of lap 6 I heard the familiar sound of the mighty 96 next to me, I looked across and saw Dave signalling with his fingers. 2? There must be more than 2 laps to go, 2 beers later perhaps, 2 wheels on a bike but more than likely it meant f*ck you I’m coming past, not this time sunshine! I tipped in as late as I dared, expecting to swap paint or leather colourings as we’ve done plenty of times before I just kept it pinned blah blah blah and went as fast as I could, never daring to even glance backwards. I felt strong through the Gooseneck and round Mansfield but I also knew Dave was a pillock (in the nicest possible way) who felt the same, I came out of the chicane still in front but at the Mountain we were greeted by waving red flags. With James Gerrard, Roxy and co I waited for further instruction, which was turn round on the track and back to the paddock, but no Brummy fella. Had I lost him and he’d gone up the exit ramp? Sadly not, Dave was the cause of the red flag, he’d highsided out of Mansfield chasing me (a rather poignant fact I’m weirdly proud of) and after an hour or so I met up with his good lady Kim and it was clear that was his last racing moment. Count back to the last completed lap meant I’d come 2nd, not the best circumstances but a good result. 2 more 2nds and a 3rd meant it was my most successful meeting to date, the 3rd place missing out to Andy C on the last lap which was fought tooth and nail right to the flag, brilliant racing! Hope you mend quick Brummy my mate, racing won’t be the same without you.

Pembrey – not my favourite drive or my favourite track by a long chalk but it’s on the calendar so off we went. A very OKish meeting, nothing spectacular, 2 3rds and a 4th is by far a bad haul but all 3 races had the same ending. Mr Claridge mugging me at the hairpin on the last lap each time, I was fecking fuming with myself, each time more so than the previous. Andy Blomfield provided DD with what must be the greatest Muppet of the Meeting display for many moons. After riding superbly in race 1 to bag a 2nd place he obviously felt up in the clouds and proceeded to give my good self “the bird” as he overtook me down the start/finish straight, unfortunately for him on returning his hand to the bar he hit his own kill switch (oh the mirth this generated on exposure) and he promptly coasted to a stop allowing me and various others to come past. Gallantly he realised his blunder, restarted his machine and scrapped his way back up to 4th, well done, till the next race. Race 3 warm up lap, not content with making an arse of himself in the previous outing Mr Blomfield then displayed epic idiotness my by launching himself out of the saddle, out of the race and onto the shiny part of his cranium before a racing wheel had been turned. No sense equals no feeling and he was fine but cue the wa wa wa waaaaaah comedy sound effect.

Brands – qually was wet, bleugh. Race 1 was wet, mehh. Race2 was wet, pfffffft. Race 3 was wet, wooo hooo. I normally quiver, cry and wail like the wicked witch of the west in such conditions, so have my demons of moisture been banished? Probably not but I bagged a 2nd. I got a really good start and found myself right on the tail of Kev Palmer on approach to the hairpin, the theory of “if he can go round corners at that speed on the same black hoops as I’ve got then so can I” was in my head and for 13 laps I just followed his wake. On one occasion I even had the cheek to go round him at Paddock Hill but I soon got back into my rightful place, maybe one day I’ll learn to set my own half decent wet pace, that race I simply followed someone who knew far more than me about what to do. Cheers Kev. Commiserations to Tom for crashing and ending his 100% record as well as his season, GWS matey.

Mallory – f*cking disaster so……..

Pembrey (again) – as soon as it got announced I was seriously pee’d off and wrote off my chances of winning a big end of season pot. As written earlier plus, extra £80 in fuel to get there, I don’t like others deciding how to spend my money, I had to do an emergency shift swap to facilitate the extra 4hrs travelling each way, it was the only track we race that had rain forecast and Blomfield was in 4th place in the championship only 9 points behind me and he’s generally quicker than me round there (when he’s not being a muppet). So with a “what will be will be” mind-set the meeting began with 3 qually laps, totally my own fault. Two and a half laps into it and my oil cooler by-pass pipe blew off, dumping the contents of my engine over my exhaust and into the bellypan, this created the effect of a bonfire chasing me round half the circuit. The oil then found it’s way onto my back tyre which made me navigate the kink like a speedway rider, as I slowed for Honda it went onto the front wheel which made me feel like the aforementioned speedway rider on an ice track, which promptly made me redecorated my undergarments. Leaving the track staff with half an hour’s worth of cleaning my mess (underpants will take far longer) off the track I returned to the paddock to throw my towel as far in as humanly possible, at least I wouldn’t have to worry about either Andy whoopin my ass again. Cue Rod and Dean Wilcock, I thought I’d blown my engine but Rod spotted the cooler pipe and insisted I made the effort to get back out. Ghostie had a set of scrubs on spare wheels in the back of his van so while Rod and Dean swapped them for my oily hoops I set off to cadge some blanking plugs of Skids. Advised by said guru to check there was no oil deflector plate under the filter I removed it (screwdriver straight through method), replacement supplied by Andy Blomfield. Loads of others came to offer a helping hand and sure enough we had wheels changed, oil/filter replaced, blanks fitted, panels cleaned, most of the dumped oil removed from Badger and it was ready to fire up to try. First time he fired and sounded sweet as ever, panels back on, few laps of the paddock to remove any oil from brake pads and back to scrutineering for the all clear, only a wayward jubilee clip required tightening just as our first race got called! Jubilee tightened and the start button was hit………….. nothing, the battery was flat. A push off Jim’s dad was enough to get going again and I went straight out onto 11th spot on the grid. A cagey warm up lap and I was ready to go. After 10 laps I was 3rd and feeling good until what felt like a misfire rocked me a bit, sent me wide at the old hairpin, onto the grass and Miles flew past. A few more “misfires” and I was rather concerned, I took the last lap flag riding on what felt like just one cylinder. What the hell was going on, there was plenty of fuel, had oil crept into somewhere it shouldn’t, then I remembered the flat battery. I fitted a new racing battery the day before, it must be that, I took the chequered flag in 6th place, went round one corner and Badger cut out completely. I had to push him back. At this point I did what every self-respecting DDer would do, went straight to Skids and explained what I’d done. The new battery’s terminals were the opposite way round from my old one and I recalled a spark when I first touched them the wrong way round, Kev diagnosed a blown alternator fuse straight away and when I checked he was spot on. A spare donated by Si Willis and a jump start from the old battery got Badger running again and ready for race 2. I was over the moon for Andy B winning race 1 even though it put him 6 points in front of me with 1 race to go for the season, only a win for me and 3rd or worse for him would see me get my championship 3rd back.
But that’s just how it went, from 11th on the grid I really got my act together, I can’t recall making a single mistake in the whole race. Andy B missed a gear, me and Andy C took advantage, went past to begin our own battle and 3 times I dived underneath him, 3 times he came back past under power. Last corner of the last lap of the last race of the last meeting of the season I threw caution to the wind, dropped it down a gear and gave it full throttle all the way round, with no track left to spare I got Badger upright and heading for the finish line, don’t know how I got round that fast but it gave me enough momentum to crawl past Andy and over the line 0.05s in front. My first win. Andy C was the first to come by and pat my back, not ashamed to admit it but I had to slow right down, I’d welled up and could barely see where I was going. Andy B came in 3rd, I felt a touch guilty but elation soon overtook the guilt.

So that’s how 2013 went for Team Badger, hope some managed to trawl through to the end.

2013 wouldn’t have been possible without the organisation of Hottrax (I’ve done my share of whinging but their efforts are immensely appreciated), Kev Ellis, Trudi and Kev Palmer for their time and devotion to DD, Kev Ellis again for his priceless advice, Si Willis for his kindness with spares, the whole of Team Ghost, Phil, Rod and Dean Wilcock especially for spares, advice, help and motivation, Andy C, Andy B, Jim, Brummy Dave, Tom and Miles for the unbelievable racing and camaraderie, Fanni the Tranny van for getting me to races, Tim Pritchard for the financial, emotional and motivational support but mostly my thanks go to Nancy. Ever present, ever supportive, ever willing and everything to me, don’t know where I’d be without you sweetie. xx

The 2 people I can’t thank for what I consider my basic grounding are my Mum and Dad though I know they’ll have been looking down keeping an eye on me. The pot with winner on it is for them.

Oh, and Badger!!

See you in 2014, TTFN

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50
Old 13-Oct-2013, 06:26
Big Twin

Excellent read that Scott, well done.
Old 13-Oct-2013, 09:10
Bikes: gsx750f

Mood: Happy as a pig in s#@t
Great read scoot see you next year............

This time on the grid........

All the best Dean (team ghost)
Old 13-Oct-2013, 10:15
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
bloody 'ell, I'll read that when I've got a spare ½hour
Old 13-Oct-2013, 10:42
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat2hew
bloody 'ell, I'll read that when I've got a spare ½hour

o.k. read it,, I think that sums up exactly how every DD racer feels at some point, Brilliant.

CU Next year.

it already seems like forever since the last race,,, how long 'till the next???

Matt
Old 13-Oct-2013, 11:41

Great report,
targets for next year ????
Old 13-Oct-2013, 14:11
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
I enjoyed reading that between naps. I bet you got Nancy to type that lot out. Bloody good write up Scott and well deserved. I remember the Anglesey fuel line incident well. Almost as much as follow this cement dust at Pembrey, which I did every lap with no confidence.
Old 13-Oct-2013, 14:23
DSC Club Member
Mille

excellent read dude ,its what dd is all about .So proud as a mate with what you achieved this year and missing it already,see you all about next year and a big well done to all for all the outstanding achievements all through the field ,oh and the signal was 2 minutes till i crash and burn !!!
Old 13-Oct-2013, 20:57
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Great write up,
lot of swearing though almost as bad as Tommy Bridewell
Maybe DD and Eurosport should get a swear box

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 13-Oct-2013, 21:16
Bevel Head
Bikes: Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring, Honda CBR1100XX Superblackbird (at least it's a red one!)

Mood: Happy new owner of a Mutley !
A great read ! Well done for sticking at it at Pembrey - your tenacity paid off !