Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Mar-2004, 19:25
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
How do I get the airbox off

.....without dismantling the whole damn bike!
I'm finally getting into the guts of this 750,but have been puzzled as to how to remove the front two bolts securing the airbox.Haynes thinks its a simple matter of undoing two bolts however I seem to have an oil cooler in the way.
What do I do next?
Old 05-Mar-2004, 20:32
500SD

Right!
after a lot of swearing I've got the airbox off and I've almost reached the reason for this adventure.....to clean out the carburettors.What I've found is that the oil cooler is in the position haynes states for monsters-on top of the rocker cover leaving very little clearance.
Whats much more problematic for me is I've also found a de-icing set of oil pipes attached to the carbs,and I have absolutely no idea what to do now as this isnt covered by the manual-surely I wont have to drain the whole bloody oil system?...will I?
Help?
Old 05-Mar-2004, 20:59
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I remember mine being a bit of a nightmare when I changed my carbs over, removing battery, air box and catch tank etc etc.

Mine was a bit easier in that the oil cooler is fitted at a lower lever but even then it was a bit fiddly getting to some of the fastners.

Not sure about the de-icier system as I have not even seen one of those yet but the only advise I could give is if you have a digi-cam to try and take a few piccies - if possible to help during re-assembly.....worked ok for me.
Old 09-Mar-2004, 14:26
500SD

Indeed the forces of darknes fight against me at every turn.....
I'm emptying the stale petrol from the tank into the only container I can find in the garage-a lawnmower,only to be spotted by my dear wife,"ooh thats handy,that means you can cut this grass while its nice!"
Hoist by my own petard methinks.
Old 09-Mar-2004, 20:15

Most of the oil should already have drained back into the sump. Suggest you remove the oil cooler (undo the pipe unions at the cooler) and then tie the lines in a position above the sump using cable ties. Do the same with the carb heater lines - dont let them fall below the sump or the oil will drain out.
Old 10-Mar-2004, 10:31
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Dave,

Its obviously wayyy too wet to even contemplate cutting grass but, it seems to me you really NEED to drain to tank and complete all maintenance work to ensure your bike is ready for summer (hee hee)

Frank