Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 11-Dec-2013, 01:21
Montjuic
Bikes: Triumph Speed Triple/DD 620/

Mood: It's a grand life if you don't weaken
2014 Regs changes?

Has there been any further instruction about further securing the fuel tanks? Is the standard fit flip clip not enough?
Also, I have lockwired all the other engine blanking bolts, but cant work out how to wire the neutral sensor nut/bolt thingy, does this, the ignition pick up lead engine connection nut, and oil pressure sensor connection have to be done as well?
Old 11-Dec-2013, 06:38
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
The neutral switch is not lock wired would be beneficial to loctite it tho'. Several including me have had oil pressure switches fail, so I use a blanking plug loctited in. The nut for the pickups tightens onto a rubber gland again that cannot be effectively wired.
Old 11-Dec-2013, 07:34
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpet
Has there been any further instruction about further securing the fuel tanks? Is the standard fit flip clip not enough?

According to the Senior Technical official he does not thing the standard clip is up to the job of securing the front of the tank under crash conditions and on several occassions he has been proved right on this matter. As such he would like to see the front held more securely, preferably bolted on (this is something that is required in the FIM Handbook but not the ACU Handbook)

Quote:
and oil pressure sensor connection have to be done as well?

Oil pressure switches should certainly be done, not only are they into a oil gallery its a pressurised one at that, although the norm is for the centre part to fail and leak oil, which is why doing away with it in favour of a blank is an option especially if you don't use a oil pressure light.

Quote:
Also, I have lockwired all the other engine blanking bolts, but cant work out how to wire the neutral sensor nut/bolt thingy, does this, the ignition pick up lead engine connection nut?

Again if you don't run a neutral light replacing the neutral switch with a Blank that can be lockwired is a good idea, otherwise as Phil says loctite improves its chances of staying oil tight

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 11-Dec-2013, 19:14
Mille
Bikes: 900ss 600ss xr400

apart from tank clip, neutral and oil press sensors are there any other new places to do that will fail tech inspection- I quite like having an oil light so should this just be loctited? anyone know offhand what size needed to blank neutral sensor

ps- please can we keep the dunlops (mine are nearly new!!!)
Old 11-Dec-2013, 20:24
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesaway
apart from tank clip, neutral and oil press sensors are there any other new places to do that will fail tech inspection- I quite like having an oil light so should this just be loctited? anyone know offhand what size needed to blank neutral sensor

ps- please can we keep the dunlops (mine are nearly new!!!)

Can't quite remember the thread for the neutrl switch it is either M10 X 1.25mm or M10 X 1.00mm think its the former

Working on the Dunlops but had to miss the NEC bike show so a missed oppotunity. Thing is they will be discontinued at some point as the D211 compound that they are based on has already been dicontinued

Old 12-Dec-2013, 15:40
Bevel Head
Bikes: Anyones

No pressure Kev, as I expect it's not ultimately your call but do you have any idea when a tyre decision will be made ?

I have a couple of decent offers on the Dunlops, if I buy in bulk, but knowing my luck I'd end up with 10 sets of Dunlops just as you announce Pirelli !
Old 12-Dec-2013, 16:07
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark 999
No pressure Kev, as I expect it's not ultimately your call but do you have any idea when a tyre decision will be made ?

I have a couple of decent offers on the Dunlops, if I buy in bulk, but knowing my luck I'd end up with 10 sets of Dunlops just as you announce Pirelli !

Thing is Mark, at some point in 2014 Dunlop intend to discontinue the tyre we are currently using.
If they can't supply tyres to see out the race season it becomes a problem.
If they intend to replace them with an improved tyre as they did last season when the D212 replaced the D211 range of race tyres, then we need a change over date and assurance that there will enough sets of tyres available for the whole grid
If Dunlop do upgrade the tyre they are hardly likely to tell us ahead of any press announcement and these sort of things often get announced around the time of the Docklands show.

Our contact at Dunlop is currently trying to find out if it's possible to secure enough of the existing tyre to supply the DD series for the whole year.

I presume this would be based on last years known sales figures, but in 2014 if we do an extra round we would need to increase that figure by 12.5%.

We had this issue with Pirelli a few years back, we had been using the H-rated Diablo for several seasons and then they withdrew it and supplied us with the Z-rated Rosso, which was to stiff and to hard a compound, before the season was even over they had brought out the Rosso2 but we were stuck with the Rosso, hence our change to Dunlop the following season.

I missed the NEC bike show due to work so also missed an oppotunity to have face to face discussions with people from Dunlop

Old 12-Dec-2013, 17:03
Bevel Head
Bikes: Anyones

That does go some way to explaining why there are deals out there then !

Hmmm !
Old 12-Dec-2013, 18:51
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
oh no! if we end up with another crap tyre i'm going to jump up and down and cry!!!
Old 12-Dec-2013, 18:53
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
We had this issue with Pirelli a few years back, we had been using the H-rated Diablo for several seasons and then they withdrew it and supplied us with the Z-rated Rosso, which was to stiff and to hard a compound

if that does happen I better make sure I bolt my tank down 'coz I'll be off on every corner,,,,, again.