Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 25-Mar-2014, 21:34
Mille
Bikes: Class B 600ss #99

Starter motor struggling

I've just tried to fire up the bike and it sounds like the starter is really struggling to turn. All I hear is a buzzing like something is trying to turn.
It has been stood and not started since August last year.
Anyone got any clues what could be the problem?

Thanks
Shane
Old 25-Mar-2014, 22:10
Mille
Bikes: 900ss 600ss xr400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campo
I've just tried to fire up the bike and it sounds like the starter is really struggling to turn. All I hear is a buzzing like something is trying to turn.
It has been stood and not started since August last year.
Anyone got any clues what could be the problem?

Thanks
Shane
my first diagnostic would be get jump leads straight from decent battery- put earth on body/ exhaust and touch +lead straight to + terminal on starter- if spins fine it's something else- if it won't like that whip it off and get it looked at/ find another coz that'll be your problem

if spins fine next try same trick with earth jump lead to battery neg and jump+ to starter- if no go then check battery earth to frame and engine earth to frame near back brake- also put multi meter to + on starter and press button to see if solanoid putting power through to starter

if starter spins with direct power but no live through solanoid check all connections to solanoid- check across connector on small wires to solanoid for power when button pushed- if solanoid clicks you know this connect is good already- undo all thick lead + connections (both sides solanoid, both battery leads and + on starter ) clean and reconnect- be careful undoing 1 on starter can be stiff and swivel in starter body causing new probs- hold connector in moles when trying to loosen nut- good luck- let us know how you get on

Last edited by milesaway : 25-Mar-2014 at 22:28.
Old 25-Mar-2014, 22:23
Mille
Bikes: Class B 600ss #99

Thanks Miles I'll try that