Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 25-Oct-2012, 01:59
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
My Round 8 at the Snetterton 200

Friday Practice

1st session spent on the Bike I had for sale just to check it out
2nd session on my own bike and feeling comfortable
3rd session now raining so was out looking for where the standing water would likely form on race day

The rest of the day was even wetter so gave it a miss, I let James take the Sales bike for a test ride on behalf of Dave Whitehouse and after James came back in Dave bought it so another bike out on the grid come Sunday

Saturday qually, decided to drop to the back and do my own thing, after my 3rd lap I was lying 3rd in the timing and next lap was going to be better but got baulked going onto the Bently straight. Never did manage to get another clean lap so ended up heading up row 3 in 9th place

Saturday race, Got a good start and sitting around 7th overall, then James dropped back while Roxy passed me into turn 1 and on the next lap Paul P made a mistake coming under the bridge hitting a false neutral that let me pass. Next up was Kev P so it was head down and stick in a decent lap that dispite getting passed by Dallas took a bit out of the Gap between me and Kev.
Next lap and the gap had remained the same not helped by the bike being under geared on the Bently straight (should have fitted a 45 rear) so I decided to try and push a bit harder braking harder for the chicane and dropping down 3 gears rather than the 2 on previous laps keeping to the left of the wet patch, as it turned out I was a little to far left and onto the detergent used for cleaning up a earlier oil spill. And before I knew it the front end had tucked and I was rolling up the track with the bike sliding ahead of me.
Gave my Right knee, thigh and hand a good bashing and snapping the right clip-on and breaking my Brembo Radial. My spare bars are slightly different giving a slightly different riding position. My spare Master-cylinder had problems bleeding up so I borrowed one off Kev P which bled up instantly

First time to check the bike was Sunday warm up which is when I noticed the brake was a bit spongy, on returning to the pit garage I found it was a 15mm master cyl so a bit undersized for a twin disc setup. To counter this I ran the lever on max span but in the first race on Sunday this caused other problems as evrytime I tried braking hard I was rolling on the throttle causing me to run wide, after a few laps I decided I had enough of this and with my knee nagging at me I decided to pull in.

Trying to bleed any more air out of the brakes before the next session but couldn't improve things as there wasn't any air just the 15mm size issue

For Sundays second race I ran the lever closer to the bars so as not to roll on the throttle under braking and although it worked in this respect it gave me little confidence under braking and after a few laps the knee was nagging me again so I headed for the pit lane.

So what started as a promising weekend ended up going pear shaped but I still faired better than some so i shouldn't complain.

So I ended up with Zero points and 3 more DNFs to add to my 2 from earlier in the season so now planning next season and working on getting my race budget in place, hopefully aided by the selling of a Class A and a Class B bike

I have a new van to convert, my old van to sell, a 620 Monster to prep and my current DD bike to repair properly. so next season may be the best part of 5 months away but that time will soon get used up as I'm kept busy.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 25-Oct-2012, 10:10
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Nice write up. Get on the Hottrax event in Feb, few others may be
Old 25-Oct-2012, 18:04
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
By the time I prep'd one of my big bikes, fitted tyres, booked flights etc that would be a large chunk of next years race budget

Well chuffed with the service from Mode Performance at Silverstone, I dropped in there just before lunchtime today and they repaired my Brembo Radial Master while I waited and also let me have a spare washer should it happen again, all for £30

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook