Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 10-Oct-2004, 00:44
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Possibility of racing Desmo Due Spec race bikes elsewhere

Today I had a word with one of the officials at North Glos Race club and gave him a copy of our rules and proposal. He could see no reason why we could not enter the 600/620 Ducatis in the Minitwins, maybe even with the 675cc kit, but would have to Police the rules ourselves.

Only had time for a brief discussion as it was during the lunch break at Silverstone and Nino was rather busy.
I suggested they allow us these rules/modifications in the Minitwins as they could be applied to all Minitwins with a 2 valve per cylinder and they could apply their curent rules to the 4 valve per cylinder bikes like the SV650.

Speaking of Minitwins/SV650s there were a total of 3 on the grid today along with about 20 SoT bikes leaving over 15 empty places on the grid for the two races.

I was told that up until last Wednesday they were looking at dropping the Twins race from next years race program, so I will have to find out what has happened to keep it in, hopefully it will have something to do with the Sponsors and as Both this years SoT and MiniTwins was sponsored by a couple of my mates with their own businesses that are local to me I will hopefully get the inside info and also inform them of what I have propossed to the NG club

They have already confirmed a Silverstone meeting next year on May 7th and if they have their other usual tracks of Pembrey (Usually 3 two day meetings), Thruxton, Donington and Darley Moor (2 day meeting) it would offer a fair few more oppotunities to get out and race.

Kev
Old 10-Oct-2004, 00:48
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Good work Kev - sounds like you're right on top of it

I'm interested in running in the Desmo Due and something with NG so am interested to see what progresses.

Cheers Kev.

TP
Old 10-Oct-2004, 18:10
500SD

Mood: DOH!
Is it right that you can run a 650 twin in the 400's now? Think I heard that somewhere and there is a guy who runs an SV in the 400's with new era.
Not sure how competitive it would be but it's another option?
Old 11-Oct-2004, 01:42
MotoGP God

The last New Era meeting I visited had the Hornets, CB500s, 350 power valves, 125s, Formula 400 and one SV650 all running at the same time, but I don't think there was a actual class for the SV.

Here is a link to the North Glos Mini Twins regulations that the SV650s compete under,

http://www.ngroadracing.org/Pdf/minitwins.pdf

the Desmo Due regs provide for a wider range of modifications. So as I see it North Glos only have to apply their origianl regs to the 4 valve per cylinder twins and apply our regs to 2 valve per cyl twins.
With 72 bhp the SVs may still have an advantage but as some of those bikes are costing £4K plus thats to be expected
Old 12-Dec-2004, 02:09
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Seeing a 600ss against SV's would be nice but I fear it would be a bit outclassed in outright speed. The Duke's chassis is better so that might make up for it in some places like Pembrey but, I fear with air cooling and two valves the 600SS would be up against it a bit. A std carbed SV bangs out about 58-64bhp, tweak it a bit and 72 is achievable. 72 from a 600ss is probably near impossible without serious work.

NG's Minitwins class has suffered from poor support from the club imo. I know the club won't thank me for saying this but as the season has progressed racers stayed away and at the end even I did. I don't think I'll be racing with them again in 2005 which, is a shame because it's a very friendly club with a good mix of racers and choice of circuits.
Old 12-Dec-2004, 02:26
MotoGP God

I agree a 600 Ducati will get beaten by a SV650, but thats not the point, from what I witnessed there were plenty of grid spaces available due to the poor turn out of mini twins, essentially SV650s as these are what the rule favour. So why not encompass the Desmo Due rules for two valves per cylinder bikes into the minitwins rules and fill a few more grid slots. I for one wouldn't care if all the SVs beat me, but in trying to chase them I would love to see what I could get a 600SS around Pembrey in.
Noe we have the green light and I am dead set on getting a SS, I will be having a couple of chats with people regarding this matter.
Old 12-Dec-2004, 02:33
Ducati Meccanica

I thought about that too Skid. It was a poor show for the twins and the guy on the CB500 didn't come last in the SoT class.
Its the 600ss that interests me but to keep costs low then I may race my monster.
However I'd love to see some 600ss's out with NG next year but I suspect the Due will give us something to get teeth into eh ?
Old 12-Dec-2004, 02:45
MotoGP God

I'd like to do Pembrey, its a track that is a great equaliser of bikes as can be seen by the narrow difference in lap times between the top guys in any class. Also it is the track I have ridden nearly all my bikes on so it gives me a good reference and as North Glos are there several times a year it would be nice to go along and enter. I'm not sure I would take a 600SS to Thruxton with them that track is just so fast and the hill up to the chicane would kill a 600 twin. But thay are also doing Cadwell, Brands Indy and Silverstone club circuits all of which would be fun.