Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 12-Dec-2013, 20:24
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Doesn't help the lack of sports bikes around running a 160 tyre

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 12-Dec-2013, 20:30
Mille
Bikes: 900ss 600ss xr400

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Can't quite remember the thread for the neutrl switch it is either M10 X 1.25mm or M10 X 1.00mm think its the former

It is M8 X 1.0mm pitch and 16/20mm length
Old 12-Dec-2013, 20:36
Mille

Quote:
Doesn't help the lack of sports bikes around running a 160 tyre
maybe we'll end up with a touring/commuting tyre and i'll get more than a season out of rear and 2yrs on front!!
Old 12-Dec-2013, 20:47
Mille

Quote:
According to the Senior Technical official he does not thing the standard clip is up to the job of securing the front of the tank under crash conditions and on several occassions he has been proved right on this matter. As such he would like to see the front held more securely, preferably bolted on (this is something that is required in the FIM Handbook but not the ACU Handbook)
is the issue here the clip coming undone (ie will it do if i lock it down with post and R clip and maybe secondary zip tie backup)
or the whole thing breaking (need make a shoddy bracket and use 3 zip ties backup)
Old 14-Dec-2013, 00:53
Montjuic
Bikes: Triumph Speed Triple/DD 620/

Mood: It's a grand life if you don't weaken
Scutineering failure prevention work

I got the oil pressure sensor threadlocked and lockwired and was starting to fell smug, but then noticed that the neutral light had stopped working, I checked back and it's the sensor itself....doh!
So how the hell do you get that little bugger out and a new one back in? It was suggested that I buy a long reach socket and cut a slot up the side for the cable....is there another way to tighten a replacement in?

Finally, I would like to keep the tank clip on the front because the closing action of the flip clip helps to pull the tank down tight onto the frame / chassis. So has anyone worked out how to easily (got to be easy for me!) add a seondary fixing.
The only way I could think of putting a more secure fixing is to remove the flip clip and use the mounting holes for a metal strap that then gets bolted to the plate where the wire clip hooked on. This would be a bit of a faff to lift the tank but cant see another way of pulling the tank down tight.

Last year I thought I may have felt nervous on the start line, it was great I never did.....cant say the same about going in to scrotumeering though!
Old 14-Dec-2013, 08:33
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Mark, do you really need a light to tell you it's in neutral? Same as the oil light, are you going to pull over or stop mid race because the light comes on.
Old 14-Dec-2013, 10:54
Mille

neutral light seems a useless item to me- never been wired on mine anyway- mine came out easy with long reach socket- if yrs is knackered just cut off the wire and use the long reach socket- my socket had a small hole in side which could put screwdriver in- blanking bolt is a m8x 1.0mm pitch about 16/20mm long and a copper washer- job done (once you can find a bolt)

oil light? i think i would stop if i saw it as i cant really afford engines- chances are i wouldn't see it in a race though
Old 14-Dec-2013, 22:55
Montjuic
Bikes: Triumph Speed Triple/DD 620/

Mood: It's a grand life if you don't weaken
Confession!!!!!

All is good advice...however!
Lock wired in the oil pressure sensor and all good, starting to feel smug again (should have known at that point I was about to get a lesson in humility....but oh no, smuggness prevailed). Really worked out elegent answer for tank retainer strap.....smuggness increased.
As the neutral light was not coming on I wondered what was causing it so decided to investigate. So ended up grinding down a 13mm ring spanner so I could remove offending neutral sensor, that done I wiped off the oil, pressed it a few times, re-connected it and it worked at treat. So re-installed it and.....bugger no light! Checked bike in neutral (all the way down and one click up, hey presto neutral), no light, sensor out re-connected it, light working....mmmmm!
Thought to self I wonder if I started bike on paddock stand, ran in gear back into neutral and it magically sorts itself out. So fitted swing arm back, chain, rear wheel....off we go!!!!! No poxy neutral light!
Again checked crossing wires out of sensor and the light comes on.....just about the same time the light came on in my walnut sized brain......gears...all the way down and one up? I am running race pattern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clicked the lever all the way up and one down, light came on sright away.
So if you see me with a spanner in my hand, in my tool box you will find a large rubber mallet.....you know what to do!
Old 15-Dec-2013, 09:33
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Still makes me laugh reading it the second time around Mark. :-)
Old 15-Dec-2013, 15:13

That's brill, it's so easy to go chasing off after a fault.

The first rule of fault finding is to sit down and have a cup of tea, and give the problem a good coat of thinking through.

Mind you it's a bit different fault finding after the first call for line up