Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 29-Dec-2006, 02:04
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
You're up late Ian!

Thanks for the kind words mate, I sometimes wonder if people are interested or not. I don't wish it to come across as if I'm rubbing peoples noses in it. I'm just having a great time and wanted to share the experience. It's also so that my family and friends can keep an eye on me!

Good skills on the potential loan of your bike, I'd love to be able to repay the people for what they've helped me achieve.

Got to come back on the 1st though. Bummer!

Cheers,

Tim
Old 29-Dec-2006, 02:36
Big Twin

The day after the trackday, we went to see the famous Monterey bay aquarium as it was only a few hundred yards from our hotel.

It was now really windy and the weather was awful. Once again I thanked my lucky stars that the highlight of my trip hadn't been ruined by rain.

The aquarium is a great place, particularly if, like me, you were fascinated by underwater nature programs as a kid. I used to sit for hours watching Jaques Cousteau and the like as they sailed their way around the world. The visit to the aquarium has really made diving something that I want to do, but at the right place and time. Like winter in Australia for example!

We started our way through the aquarium, and there was a mega jellyfish exhibit. we then found ourselves face to face with the centrepiece of the building, the million gallon tank.

The first thing we saw was this huge Sunfish. It was so cool, it looked like it had dropped in from the Jurassic period for a quick swim around. Unreal. There were also some gigantic Tuna, some barracuda, reef sharks and the showpiece, a real, live Great White shark. The Great White was only a baby, and to be honest, the Sunfish and tuna were just as impressive in different ways, but it was cool to see one close up in the flesh. I now want to do a cage dive with it's older brothers and sisters even more badly!

The very friendly Giant Sunfish.

Look, It's a Great White..WOOOT!

There was a load of other cool stuff, including a large Kelp forest display, and some hilariously entertaining Sea Otters. It's a definite must see if you're in the area.

I drove half the way home, and we decided to try and cut across country to avoid the traffic that would pile up in Santa barbara by taking the 198 across to the 5. The 198 was like the land that time forgot, and the only clue that we weren't in the wild west, was the ribon of modern tarmac ahead of us. There were old buildings and farms that looked like they housed a load of Waltons clones. Weird but cool.

The weather then turned really nasty, with mega winds and rain that forced the 5 to have lanes closed down in the opposite direction due to mudslides, so you aren't having all the crappy weather to yourselves in the UK!

It's nicer today in Southern cali, but still windy!
Old 24-Jul-2010, 17:26
Big Twin

Hmmmmm!

Sat reading this for something to do as the Mrs is off to a Prodigy concert.

I REALLY need to get my act together and organise another adventure for next year.

Trip to Vegas, ride Paruhmp racetrack (one of the smoothest in the universe apparently) go to Bodie ghost town, race at Infineon...and whatever else i can cram into a couple of months.

I do believe I'll start researching stuff