Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Jun-2018, 09:11
Bikes: 68 Triumph T120 , 95 900 SL , 01 Aprilia mille, 08 Speed Triple, 80 Honda CB250rs

Mood: comic but serious
Starter running on after keyturned to off position

On my 1995 Superlight I have just taxed and MOTed I was about to go for a ride last night when the starter motor jammed on I turned off the key, but it kept running until the battery was flat. The battery is only 1 year old and is now not taking a charge.
Is it the starter switch on the handle bar or the starter relay under the battery that is causing the starter to run on after the ignition is turned off?
What other problem could be causing this issue?
Old 13-Jun-2018, 21:04
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hi There!

I'd not heard of this before but these guys have:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-super...-cranking.html

I have a Mini (yes as in Austin) solenoid on my 944ss and never had an issue with it.

Good luck
Old 14-Jun-2018, 09:13
Bikes: 68 Triumph T120 , 95 900 SL , 01 Aprilia mille, 08 Speed Triple, 80 Honda CB250rs

Mood: comic but serious
Thanks Frank
last night I tried to start the superlight again with a remote battery as the bike battery appears to be not charging and may be the cause of the fault. The starter engaged and the engine started as usual. But it is a Yuasa Lead acid battery that lives a pampered life in a heated garage and has not required charging since being fittef in April 2017. I will check again today as it seemed to be charging last night at 11.7 volts when I left it.
Old 14-Jun-2018, 12:24
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I never would of imagined a LOW battery voltage could cause this issue but it appears so...

Might be a pre-cursor to a failing solenoid?

Hopefully your charging issues are no more than Rectifier, I'm afraid they are prone to overheating and failure, checking the Generator cables/connectors is well recommended too.