Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 03-Jun-2011, 13:40
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Awesome report

Anglesey,,, The Awesome Report!

Well where do I start?,,,, Luckily we had a six week gap after the racing at Mallory Park, because it seems you that you can recover from a broken collar bone and rebuild a bike in that time.

I didn't know whether I would be going to Anglesey to race at all the week preceding, but I was quite determined that my bike would be ready even if I wasn't, the doctors said NO! YOU MUST NOT!, which was generally agreed with by my family and some of my friends and many of my customers, who I speak to every day. It seem that most people thought that I would obviously give up racing or riding a motorcycle now that I have 'seen the light' and realised how stupid it all is?

****ers!

So Thursday lunchtime I collected the horse box and started to load up the bike and stuff and my wife came out the house and said “you going then?” she new I would be, I had decided that I should go.

I felt that I could ride a bike but wasn't sure about race pace, but felt that it would be important (to the championship) that I get some points even if I wasn't even racing for a top 5 position which I hoped I would.

I had planned to take it very easy on Friday and maybe only do a couple of sessions so that I didn't hurt myself before the racing even started on Saturday but as you know I ended up doing the whole day. I felt pretty good about most aspects apart from right hand corners where I kept imagining a nice easy low side, which would almost certainly re-brake my collar bone and really hurt, strangely left handers didn't bother me as much the only other thing I had tried once or twice was quite hard braking, but It really hurt, late braking overtakes were going to be out of the question tomorrow.

Saturday morning came and we all went out for free practice, without problems I think, then qualifying, it was a damp but drying track which is probably the the most dangerous condition, I left the pitlane, behind Jolley and followed him for a bit feeling quite comfortable until Ghost over took and I realised that I wasn't going to do well following 2 class B bikes (in Class A I need to be faster) and I new that overtaking them would not be easy so I rolled off a bit to build up a nice gap in front, then The Pie Man overtook so I rolled off a bit more to build up more of a gap but Neal went in leaving me a big gap but wondering how much longer I had left to get in a good lap, so I thought I need to get moving now and did 1 good lap, although I didn't think I had gone nearly fast enough I had got pole, for the first time this year, with a broken collar bone!

Race 1 came around and I was still wondering if I could go flat out for 12 laps as my collar bone was aching quite a lot after doing more than I should have on Friday, As the lights went out I dropped the clutch and the bike took off, class A bikes have soooo much more go off the line, in class B I never made the first corner above 4th or 5th place, but with the extra torque of the 620 I made turn 1 in front and went about riding as fast a I could, Before this year, I've never led a race from the front and I have to say that I'm not much good at it, I seem to need someone to catch up with before my brain switches to race mode, somewhere during the race Neal overtook and ran me a bit wide but I managed to catch up and take him back, then again, then again, then thought if he is behind on lap 11 he will overtake and win, so I decided to follow him until the last lap and then take him at the end, unfortunately I got a bit held up in traffic at the hairpin and couldn't get close enough to get him, I did try into the cork screw, but it was never going to work. - ANOTHER BLOODY 2ND!
Race 2 After pole, and actually having a decent race with Neil in race 1 my target of a top 5 had changed a bit and I was now looking for a win! At the start I got another good start and led into the first corner, but again after about lap 4 or 5 Neil did his usual sit you up into a corner overtake and passed me, and pulled about a second gap, so I thought O.K. Game on and I did start to catch up a bit but then started out-braking myself into some corners and he started to pull away. After a few more laps I decided that another 2nd place was the best I was going to get and I had a 5 second gap behind so I eased up a bit, then I noticed that the gap behind was falling Fast but I couldn't get going again. I kept out braking myself again? I've never really done this before, but thought maybe it was my shoulder. With just a couple of laps to go I could feel Angry and Steve flying in formation behind me and as I expected they both out braked me into rocket, and I was down to 4th, I tried at every corner to get back past Angry but couldn't make it stick then on the last lap I tried to out-brake him into rocket but couldn't stop (again) and ran really wide so 4th it was.

After the race we stopped in parc ferm and I practically fell off my bike exhausted, I later found that my brake master cylinder was leaking and was probably why I kept out braking myself! I guess I'd done o.k. But I still want that win!

If I remember correctly, I owned Snetterton Last year, Roll on Snett!

Matt
Old 03-Jun-2011, 17:39
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Nice one Matt
I think you have a great attitude to your racing, even when things are hurting you still seem to be enjoying it

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 03-Jun-2011, 18:03
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Did not expect to see you there Matt, so was supprised when walking round the paddock there you were, take my hat off to you racing with such a short gap to Snetterton but well done m8, heres hoping your fully recoverd for Snet.
Old 04-Jun-2011, 12:46
Big Twin

Yep fair play to ya Matt. I think under the circumstances you are now top of my list for the honoury "True Grit Northerner Award". Ron was the leader riding with broken fingers but alas he fell off.

If you own Snetterton, can I have a free track day. LOL

See you there dude.
Old 05-Jun-2011, 22:24
Mille
Bikes: DD 620, 998 Matrix, 500 Pantah, Honda 350 K4, Drixton 500 Honda, Triumph 1050.

Mood: Depends on how many crashes I have!!!!!
Matt top results considering, and as Neil says above the call of duty. Wont be at Snetterton, but will see you at Pembrey, one of my favorite tracks, f**cking long way a away but like it all the same.
Hope all oges well for you and Neil, and the rest at Snet.

P.S Just finsished racing the classic at Knockhill, 6th from back of the grid which was good. So started from 6th for next race, up to 2nd then the guy in front chucks it, so it swas run him over or take to the grass, you don't stop on wet grass!!!!! Medical centre, duct tape and got a 4th from back of the grid again. From 4th finished the day with a 2nd, yes Iknow that 2nd place stinks don't it!!!!

Steve
Old 07-Jun-2011, 19:53
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
"True Grit Northerner Award".

????? that's like saying average southerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
If you own Snetterton, can I have a free track day. LOL

No! I have to be careful at how much I big myself up before snetterton, just incase. But, what the hell, I can feel a win coming on!!!!!!

at the moment I don't have any brakes, I sent the master cylinder off to brembo to be fixed and haven't heard anything about it since!!!!!! anyone got a spare one?

AWESOME
Old 07-Jun-2011, 20:02
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat2hew
????? that's like saying average southerner

No! I have to be careful at how much I big myself up before snetterton, just incase. But, what the hell, I can feel a win coming on!!!!!!

at the moment I don't have any brakes, I sent the master cylinder off to brembo to be fixed and haven't heard anything about it since!!!!!! anyone got a spare one?

AWESOME
What size? I have a nice radial one 19x20 I think
Old 07-Jun-2011, 20:11
Big Twin

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
What size? I have a nice radial one 19x20 I think

thats what I need mate, i'm still hoping mine comes back, but if not i'll ask.

I do have an oem 999 one but can't get enough clearance behind the screen, I'd need to move the fairing about to get it to fit and I've had enough trouble getting it to fit at all since everything got bent at Mallory.

Thanks
Matt
Old 07-Jun-2011, 20:25
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
let me know, I'll try and remember to put it in the spares box. You may need a lever; its shorts after knokcing the end off at cadwell last year but works ok with 2/3 fingers