Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 11-Feb-2012, 22:43
Mille
Bikes: M620ie, DD583R #30

8 Rounds = How many miles of motorway?

I needed to phone around for van insurance this week after the AA jacked their renewal from £310 to £445. Got a new classic vehicle policy with Flux for £211 , this is no commercial use and limited to 3000 miles, so needed to check the travel from High Wycombe to all 8 rounds. Suprised that it's 2480mls, Brands closest at 150, and longest run Anglesey at 500 return. Better bump that limit up!

I'd expect around 38-40 mpg so thats about £400 of diesel, add road tax, £230?, comes to £850 minimum for the seasons travel and accommodation, not bad. This is the real world though so this years belt service and repairs for the mot have already exceeded that

pete

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power". Abraham Lincoln ...53 horse power should do it
Old 11-Feb-2012, 22:47
Big Twin

Pete.
What ever you estimated double it. I used 12 sets of tyres alone last year, but thats me.
Old 11-Feb-2012, 22:57
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Pete - where did you get the insurance? I'm fed up with trailering mine but its the ins cost which stops me getting a van
Old 12-Feb-2012, 10:23
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 848 and 583 dd race bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
Pete - where did you get the insurance? I'm fed up with trailering mine but its the ins cost which stops me getting a van
Well you have seen my can Paul, I only pay about £380 fully comp with all the mods listed.
Old 12-Feb-2012, 10:28
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Cheapest quote I got on a £400 shed was £600 and that was tpo.

I get fuel 'free' hence I tow but I hate it!!
Old 12-Feb-2012, 10:31
Mille

Morning Paul, I saw on Visordown (why don't we have a van section at DSC?) racers were reporting a good deal from Adrian Flux insurance, the online provider is, http://www.fluxdirect.co.uk/about.php.
But only got a good deal because the T4 is a 1995, so fits into their Classic Vehicle Cover, + had to give them a convincing reason why I'd own a van thats not used for work, (fishing and surfing were the most common uses apparently) all the more difficult being a Gardener,+ had to show I had another car for commuting, + 2 yrs no claims on vans, and generally all round good behavior probably helped.

Most Insurer's do see 'hobby' van ownership as an aberration and want to lump you in with 'white van man'

pete

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power". Abraham Lincoln ...53 horse power should do it
Old 12-Feb-2012, 10:51
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I paid £415 for my Ducato 2.8 TDi and thats with a few years no claims but I can use it for whatever I want

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 12-Feb-2012, 13:29
Mille
Bikes: DD 620, 998 Matrix, 500 Pantah, Honda 350 K4, Drixton 500 Honda, Triumph 1050.

Mood: Depends on how many crashes I have!!!!!
All,

I have run vans for about 10 years now, initally only Norwich Union and RAC would quote but they were reasonable when not used for Business considering the vans were fairly new. Approx £250-400 over the years. Now there are more companies doing insurance, and price has went up!!!!!

Now I have my L200 on Commercial, not for business with Admiral (Gladiator) and that is £400.

My big Van is now on a Motorhome Policy, and costs £270 with Comfort Insurance. The whole van/motorhome is valued at 3 times the price of the original van, but is half the price to ensure. I must state that I got some of the work done professionally and have receipt and documents to prove this. To change from a van to a Motorhome there a 4 stipulations.
1. Must have fixed water tank (Mine has plastic one fitted under the sink in a cupboard?
2. Must have a fitted wardrobe (Mine takes 1 set of leathers)
3. Must have a fixed bunk
4. Must have a Toilet (mine has a boxed off area with door, and the loo is a portable bowl/water tank. Another mate has his in the cupboard under the sink, shuts the curtains pulls out of the cupboard and uses, then puts back in cupboard)
Old 13-Feb-2012, 20:18
Mille

Another way to bring down the insurance is to convert the van to a camper, you need to show to the dvla that it has a cooker, at least one side window, a bed that is at least partially fixed to the van and I think some water storage.

You can also get a registered for the LEZ in an older van thats been converted to a camper. Even vans that are rated at over the max tare for LEZ can be re-rated if it obvious that you arn't going to be carrying loads of cement or whatever.

pete
Old 13-Feb-2012, 23:55
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicoops
Another way to bring down the insurance is to convert the van to a camper, you need to show to the dvla that it has a cooker, at least one side window, a bed that is at least partially fixed to the van and I think some water storage.

You can also get a registered for the LEZ in an older van thats been converted to a camper. Even vans that are rated at over the max tare for LEZ can be re-rated if it obvious that you arn't going to be carrying loads of cement or whatever.

pete

Not sure about that! My motor home isn't eligible based on a sprinter?.