Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 28-Nov-2013, 20:58

New Racer for 2014 :)

Hi All,
After doing a bit of racing with Hottrax this year I have decided to have a go on a Class A bike in 2014, I found a bike which seems to be ok and am looking for advice on racing it next year.
I have no idea what pressures to set the tyres, how many races can you achieve before they are worn out, do they not suffer cold tear with no warmers allowed?
The bike I have is putting out roughly 57bhp, what sort of power are other bikes out there making or is this about what they can make with the tuning allowed??

Any other advise would be great

Cheers
Matt

PS, anyone of to the D&D next week, be good to meet a few of You.
Old 28-Nov-2013, 21:50
Mille
Bikes: 900ss 600ss xr400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness
Hi All,

I have no idea what pressures to set the tyres, how many races can you achieve before they are worn out, do they not suffer cold tear with no warmers allowed?

tyres around f29 / r27
the ends of the spectrum are
- if you like to waste money a pair every weekend
- if you like to save money 3 tyres for a season (on my 49bhp class b) -somewhere in between is probably sensible- they seem fine with lap to warm them- best when natures tyre warmer is shining on them and the tarmac first
keep a good set of scrubbed in ones ready on wheels if you can in case it rains
Old 28-Nov-2013, 22:41

Thumbs up new racer???

hi matt. might be joining you if I can find a good class A bike will be like bemsee rookies all over again. also new racer.
Old 28-Nov-2013, 22:58
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness
Hi All,
After doing a bit of racing with Hottrax this year I have decided to have a go on a Class A bike in 2014, I found a bike which seems to be ok and am looking for advice on racing it next year.
The bike I have is putting out roughly 57bhp, what sort of power are other bikes out there making or is this about what they can make with the tuning allowed??

Any other advise would be great

Cheers
Matt

PS, anyone of to the D&D next week, be good to meet a few of You.

Firstly, welcome aboard, you won't regret it!

If you bought Mr Bates' bike you'd be best advised to fit knobblies!

29psi front and back for me and I used 3 rears and 2 fronts (and ruined a set after only 3 laps by gobbing oil all over them at Pembrey) on my class B but missed 2 meets.

4 full sets would easily do season and if you're any good at eBay you'll get half you're money back.

Would love to say hello at the D&D but I'll be in Cape Verde. Hmmmm, smug mode

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50
Old 29-Nov-2013, 07:32
Big Twin

Matt.

Tyres are subjective as above. I used a new set every race weekend 28 f&r. Max power on an A bike is 65bhp. The series cost wise is similar to cb 500 or steel frame 600 racing unless you want to throw tonnes of money ( as some do ) at the engine to achieve the magical 65bhp.

Excellent paddock and great racing you won't regret it.

Neil
Old 29-Nov-2013, 11:36
Bevel Head
Bikes: Anyones

Welcome to the mad house.

I've just done my first full season on a class A and it's the most fun I've had in ages.

Never had any issues with the tyres, other than in the wet, which makes it interesting to say the least.

I run front and rear at 28 PSI.

Just get the bike on a dyno and get it set up properly, then race the wheels off it.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 13:09
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
HI mark,

I use a set of tyres every meeting, thats 3 days of hard riding and the tyres are rubbish afterwards. I put a new set on after the test day new for qualifying so 1 qualy and 3 races, by the end of race 3 they are well past there best. I then use them for any track days and the following test day, they don't do anything wrong really but they are not as fast.

28psi about right

my bike had 81bhp after I put the 900 back in it.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 13:14
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
57 ain't alot but it makes little difference unless your 2nd place and the guy infront has a bit more, I've had a year racing with about the same, my advice is as roxy says, race the wheels off it and see how you go, a couple of horses won't make a massive difference.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 14:56
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
57 Sounds a bit on the low side, so worth getting it setup properly, cam timing needs to be identical for each cylinder and once thats sorted get the fuel mapping sorted.
I did have a 2002 engine that I never managed to get more than 59bhp out of no matter what I tried, the engine I've been using for the last coup[le of years started off making 63bhp and over time has dropped a couple of bhp but that doesn't tell the whole story. Although only a couple of bhp down it feels as though its missing a lot more in the way it accelerates.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 29-Nov-2013, 17:02

Thanks for all the info on tyre pressures etc, I take it that the pressures quoted are a hot psi reading ?
Think that I will have to get some more bhp out of it, I am 6'2 and 14.5st so going to need all the power I can get!! Have got another engine with a 6 speed box so may be able to get that in and test its power .

Sorry Large not sure who you are?? I'm always up for a good race though