Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Sep-2019, 01:22
Mille
Bikes: ducati 996, hawkati, kawacati

Mood: generally vile and mischevious
Single cylinder 996!

So after many lots of abuse my poor 996 cut out on an open throttle at cadwell. Instantly hauled the clutch in and piled onto the grass, concerned for dropped oil. No such worries.
Anyway, had a look at it today - sparking on both plugs (replaced with iridium for the hell of it), but only running on rear cylinder. Popped a bit of fuel in plug hole and ran on two for a second then back to one. Fuel not getting through. Guessing either ECU issue or injector but uncertain where to go from here. Booked in for the 19th at Baines but was hoping for an easy solution since I'm at cadwell this coming weekend for the PB/PS bash.
Any thoughts y'all? Cheers, jamess
Old 09-Sep-2019, 12:03
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
It's quite common for the fuel hose to pop off the pump or filter inside the tank. I had it on my 748 and Pronto Steve had it with his Sport Classic.

Have a look inside the tank when the fuel pump primes and see if you can see any kind of disturbance in the fuel. Any spray or heavy ripples inside the tank suggest the hose has come off and is spraying the fuel inside the tank and not down the fuel line to the injector.

To fix, drain the tank first then pop the fuel pump out. Check the hoses and replace the crimp connector with a jubilee clip. While you're in there, replace the fuel filter if you don't know when it was last done!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 09-Sep-2019, 12:07
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
MAHLE KL145 is the oem filter.

Eurocarparts sell them - they have outlets everywhere - and also sell online via ebay.

Direct: https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/503330210

Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mahle-KL1...e/332322686680

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 12-Sep-2019, 00:21
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
If only running on one I would guess that fuel is getting pumped from the tank, I take it yours is twin injectors per cylinder so I would expect some fuel to be getting through.

First thing I would do is check the big connector in the side of the ECU is seated correctley, then I would pop the rubber bung out of the ECU and check the EPROM is seated correctley.

Is was on a DSC Cadwell trackday where Dallas's 916 Strada went on to one pot and that was the EPROM working its way loose

A couple of simple checks that you can do yourself

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 28-Sep-2019, 11:31
Mille
Bikes: ducati 996, hawkati, kawacati

Mood: generally vile and mischevious
cheers for the answers - after checking properly it was a bit more fundamental than that - cambelt broke. Erk.
So it's at baines now getting a serious look - verdict soon. Double erk.
I'm not at all surprised - it had been comprehensively thrashed from one end of the country to the other and i'd done 7 trackdays this year. The irony was i'd already booked the bike in for valves and belts, for two days after i marmalised it!