Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Jun-2013, 11:13
Bikes: Ducati 999s, Kawasaki ZX7r, Kawasaki KX250

999 Fuel Pump Relay - tricky little problem

Short post then I'll add to it - wrote a long piece and it failed to post. Lost it !!
Old 03-Jun-2013, 11:33
Bikes: Ducati 999s, Kawasaki ZX7r, Kawasaki KX250

My weekend !

Saturday - bike warmed up in garage, couple hundred yards to main road, accelerating away from junction, bike died. Coasted to road side. Turning over, no sign of firing up.

Neighbour cycled up - Termi's
He had heard it cut out and was checked nothing nasty had occured.
Bit of a head scratch then pushed it back home (full leathers, bit warm, glad only 600 yds or so)

Quick search around suggested either side stand relay or fuel pump. For the former, on a paddock stand, clutch in, first gear, should start. Fools the ECU into ignoring the relay. Not the solution in this instance.

So then started a hunt for the fuel pump relay. Dealer suggested under lhs fairing and it is visible on an 8" pig lead. Not on the 2005 black swing arm bike.

You have to remove the battery box. Not immediately obvious. Surprised there hasn't been a thread on this, but the sequence that works is:

- disarm immobiliser/alarm
- fairing panel off
- battery retaining bracket remove
- battery out
- battery box - three allen head screws
- clip cable tie holding cable to back of lhs radiator fan
- disconnect two connectors top left behind fan (one is the fan, other one not sure, it's red/yellow)
- battery box will fall forward sufficient to access heat shield screws
- very gently undo the four self tappers
- rear of battery box exposed
- fuel relay is front, lowest position - around 25mm x 25mm x 12mm (just forward of the ECU)

Couple of things

- this whole area was wet and mucky
- Ducati use material webbed tape around loom bundles. This was a sticky mess hanging off most cables
- looks to me like road dirt/wet is blasted from front wheel in and around oil cooler and gets into this cavity. No way for it to dry out or get clean. Quite a black hole
- I was expecting a corroded relay - this wasn't the issue. Relay connector has four wires coming in, (one of which is brown) and a short 45mm loop of brown back into the connector. Mine this loop had chafed through so i had two short pieces of wire sticking out the back and the incoming brown wire insulation chafed back exposing the copper. Bizarrely as the brown loop had chafed on the brown incoming, even when copper on copper it had still worked. Until it finally broke apart.
- having convinced myself that that was the issue, fitted inline bullet connector to rejoin
- encased the relay in the finger of a rubber glove
- spent a good hour or so throughly cleaning this area out. It's fiddly to access
- re-assembled with washers under the self tappers to spread the load around the holes in the ally heat shield

Not the most impressive bit of design I've seen.

Has anyone done the work to relocate relays somewhere more sensible?
Alternatively has anyone replaced lead battery with lithium and used the space to create a different battery box, better shielding all these relays from the road dirt?

I can see how this would be the source of stranding many at the road side.

btw I'm not really into wet riding for fun, but have had several wet track days. Also do wash the bike, wonder if water collects in here.

Finally, one forum post I found had an intermittent problem - a radiator hose clip was loose and when under pressure was squeezing coolant onto electrics. Couldn't be seen when bike was cold and not running.....look for corrosion signs/source

Here endeth my weekend wisdom
Old 03-Jun-2013, 16:18
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileypau
Relay connector has four wires coming in, (one of which is brown) and a short 45mm loop of brown back into the connector. Mine this loop had chafed through so i had two short pieces of wire sticking out the back and the incoming brown wire insulation chafed back exposing the copper. Bizarrely as the brown loop had chafed on the brown incoming, even when copper on copper it had still worked. Until it finally broke apart.

The loop is probably where it jumps the main incoming 12 volt feed that goes to a relay contact across to the relays coil, with the other side getting earthed by the ECU, providing all interlocks are correct (Sidestand, Clutch switch, Neutral)
So no 12 volt no energised relay and as both carry the same 12 volt copper on copper wasn't a issue just the breakage as you say

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook