Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-Aug-2012, 04:37
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 999 / Kawasaki Z1000

Talking 1098 starting issues

Just after some advice from fellow 1098 owners on whether their machine fires on the button?

My bike seems to struggle to start. If i hit the ignition button it will turn over and over then occasionally start but more often than not will turn over and not fire but fire on the second push of the ignition button straight away.

Over the last few days it's now requiring 4 presses of the ignition button and it pops, starts and stalls. Plus the battery appears to be getting weaker and weaker. Is it just the battery or possibly the sparks? Or something worse? It doesn't help that my oximiser packed in a few weeks back.

The dealership claims its normal for the bike to struggle.

Any advise / experience would be appreciated. Best bike I've ever had! Can't help but grin when riding it..... When it lets me!
Old 31-Aug-2012, 09:40
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Have you got another battery you can try? Sounds like it doesnt have the oomph to move the motor

My 848 is easy but my old high comp sps was a nightmare and exactly as you describe...used to eat batteries
Old 31-Aug-2012, 16:45
Mille

Cheers Bradders, yeah gonna get a new battery and oximiser I think as it does seem to be getting weaker and weaker.
Old 31-Aug-2012, 20:19
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I'd suspect the crank Sensor
My 1100 Monster was doing the same sort of thing, it started a couple of months ago and slowly got worse, often cutting out when cold and hard to start, it got to the point where one evening it took ages to start.
I purchased another crank sensor but before it turned up I seem to have cured it by playing with the connector where it plugs into the main loom.
Now starts every time and no more cutting out.
At least I now have a pickup ready for next time

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 02-Sep-2012, 22:13
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
I'd suspect the crank Sensor
My 1100 Monster was doing the same sort of thing, it started a couple of months ago and slowly got worse, often cutting out when cold and hard to start, it got to the point where one evening it took ages to start.
I purchased another crank sensor but before it turned up I seem to have cured it by playing with the connector where it plugs into the main loom.
Now starts every time and no more cutting out.
At least I now have a pickup ready for next time

Ill check that tomorrow... Dont suppose you know where the sensor wire is on a 1098 do you Kev?
Old 03-Sep-2012, 00:14
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Not off hand Dean, having never owned one but its usually in one of two places, either on the alternator casing near the front or on top of the crankcase next to the front left engine mount

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook