Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 27-Aug-2012, 13:37
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
My Donington report, abbreviated version

Desmo Due Rd 6 Donington Park

Friday testday
Spare Bike ran well but had some serious judder under braking while playing with a GSXR1000, I don't think running standard ST forks helped

Race Bike performed well, but got Black flagged for Noise in 3rd seesion. I don't believe I was over with the baffle I had fitted and as the Tacho had packed up and I wasn't prepared to stiffle the engine any more with a more restrictive baffle I sold my Afternoon sessions to Brian Bates as it was his first time at Donington.

Spent late afternoon/early evening Scrutineering getting through between 30 to 40 bikes and even more riding gear.

Saturday Raceday

Free Practice OK taking another couple of seconds off of my practice day times, Quallifying was in two parts finally taking place over only 3 laps but managed another improvement putting me 14th on the Grid.

Saturdays Race (race 1)

Not a Bad start but Alan Ball came flying past on the run to Redgate and nabbed my line,costing me a few more places,started working my way back up the order and had just passed Brummy Dave and Alan down the inside into Redgate when the Brake lever came back to the bars, a quick stamp on the rear helped me avoid collecting them both and taking us all into the kitty litter.

Replaced the AP racing Pads with New EBC HH pads, flushed the fluid and refilled with Shell 5.1 and improved clearance between right hand caliper and disc, then wait to try in Sunday warm up

Sunday

Warm-up, Chance to bed the new pads in, all seemed well

Race 2, Fair start and dropped in behind Kev P, when Ghost's bike slowed coming out of Goddards Kev P swerved to the left and i swerved to the right to avoid him. Kev then made a mistake and ran off track at Coppice, I could see he was still upright so new he would be rejoining and trying to chase me down, what I din't realise was Tony Norman (Parkkit Racing) on Matt Lawsons bike and Alan Ball were right on my back wheel and without Kev P in front of me I let my guard down and they both swept by, what followed was a great battle all the way to the flag with places swapping on a regular bases and my lap time just dropping into the 1m 55s

Race 2, Another good start until Tom came right across my front wheel and if I hadn't braked while cranked over we would both have been on the deck, as this stood the bike up a bit I had to run wide and several riders dived down the inside so I again dropped in behind Kev P, around Shwantz his right foot came off the beg and unsettled him so I took advantage and passed him, knowing kev was right on my rear wheel I got my head down and by the 3rd lap i was again into the mid 1m 55s and again on lap 4, on lap 5 i nearly lost the front on the change of direction through the Foggy esses and it wasn't long before Tony and Alan were again swapping places with me, Tony tried coming around the Outside at Redgate and on the exit was bouncing violently across the curbs, so much so I backed off a bit to give hime room to get back on track, this allowed Alan to pass down the inside. A lap latter Alan was on the Grass down Craner and again i backed off as it was obvious he was going to be rejoing at the wrong angle and at speed after the Old hair pin and before the bridge, as Alan passed in fron of me I moved to the right and headed for into Shwantz only to be passed by Tony who had carried more speed into the curve and got ahead of me.
All through the race Ghost was not far up the track ahaead of us and with 3 laps to go his bike started smoking on the down changes, with two laps to go I couldn't see him or his bike or the entry to Redgate due to the amount of smoke and this into the Old hairpin, macleans and Coppice, heading doen the straight towards Foggies Tony was braver than me and on the same line and Ghost with the bike billowing out smoke, so I moved off line incase I had to avoid two bikes, as it turned out Ghost ran off track and Tony sailed through Foggies while I on a tighter line had a slower entry and had to swerve around Ghost rejoining as I headed to the Melbourne loop, I managed to close the gap a bit on Tony but he beat me to the flag.

As normal with race weekend I sorted out a few people with more of my spares including Throttle assembley, Oil pressure Switch and a MAP Sensor, even ended up removing a front caliper from the Spare bike

Good to see Craig bounce back from crashing his 996 in Class 1C, there were a few crashes over the weekend but among the DSC guys I don't think there were any serious injuries and most were back out racing at sometime over the weekend. A couple of Blown engines, Pete Blomfields 996 will probably cost a bit more to fix than Ghost's 620 and Andy Blomfield will be looking for a Swingarm to fit a early Monster.

Great riding by the top guys, Andy C with 3 wins dispite his practice day crash, Andy P with two seconds and a 3rd and Dallas for his 2nd and two 3rds.
Great to see Tom get his first win, Chris to come back from his Cadwell Crash with a couple of excellent results and Spence also again getting a couple of great results including a win and putting it all on the line to try and get a step higher on the podium in race 2

Also thanks to Bernie the Cheif Tech for sorting the Dyno runs and Tony for carrying out the checks, as it hppens the Dyno is still reading slightly high by around 3%, from the results I got to see at least 4 bikes measured were over their class limits although I wouldn't suspect any of them being outside the rules and if i did we do have enough money in the DD fund to lodge a protest. I'm sure Tony will look at the figures and try and reduce the error to give a more accurate reading.

Great to see everybody and appreciate Mark and Wendy Shore travelling all the way up from Cornwall just to support us all as Mark couldn't race having suffered several broken ribs when he lost out in a fight with a cow. also great to see Matt Lawson and family coming up from Kent not only to keep an eye on his bike but also supporting DD.

Condolences to Steve Mason and his family on their loss this weekend, the DD paddock misses you

Good to see so many DD supporters in the Paddock, from the Regulars such as Roy, Sandra, Buggsy, Steve, Shel and family along with those that travelled up from Oxfordshire

Finally big thanks to Trudi for looking after us all, along with sorting the raffle, late entries and phoning around drumming up the Marshalls required so the meeting could run.

Weather was very kind to us lets hope it is at Cadwell in 3 weeks time when hopefully all those with bike problems will have them sorted out in time.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 27-Aug-2012, 13:43
Mille
Bikes: 500 Pantah, TT2, 749R, 944ssie, Rickman Kwak 1170, Yam 1200 Super Ten

Mood: The Older I get the Faster I Was!
Great report Kev........makes my weekend look a bit boring!
Old 27-Aug-2012, 13:53
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyG50
Great report Kev........makes my weekend look a bit boring!

Alright for some you have a boring weekend resulting in two 2nds and a 3rd along with a fastest lap, I feel like I'm either flat out or kknackerd and end up lapping 5 seconds slower battling for a top 10 finish.

Sadly my technical skills outweigh my riding skills, but when your having fun none of that matters.
look forward to catching up with you again at Snetterton unless I pop in for a cuppa when I'm in the area

Old 27-Aug-2012, 14:53
500SD

Mood: ready to race
Good wright up kev and some great racing was good to see you back to your self and having a battle with you
Old 27-Aug-2012, 15:34
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 620SS Desmo Due 800SS Minitwin 1000SS Monster 750

Mood: Inquisitive cat
Can i just tag on to this and say a big thanks for what ranks as one of my most enjoyable weekends on a bike since i started racing .. the missus is already bored stupid with me recounting the various overtakes and shananagans

The on track battles with you two kevs and tony where top notch .. really couldn't of enjoyed myself any more

Apologies to you guys for getting "a bit wild" at times in the last race .. without the benefit of the track day to learn a few lines and breaking points i was generally making it up as i went along and only got worse as tirdness started to creep in .. i'm normally a bit more measured than that ..

and thanks for not collecting me after my little off road excursions
Old 27-Aug-2012, 17:52
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
nice report Kev

Nice report Kev, I soooooo wish I was out there with you, It sounds like you enjoyed racing at Donington (the best bit of tarmac in the world).

Matt
Old 27-Aug-2012, 21:25
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Great weekend indeed, and the sun was out most of the time

Hants - Meet Popham Airfield every 2nd Sunday of the Month @ 1pm

Ducati Snells of Alton : >>
848 Corse SE Evoluzione 2 : >>
Dementor Site :>>
Sponsor of DD Riders
Old 27-Aug-2012, 21:36
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
What a great read, you must have had a secretary to hand.
Old 27-Aug-2012, 22:31
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Nice and jealous
Old 28-Aug-2012, 00:08
MotoGP God

Pics of the two bikes
Race bike has had a recent fairing change along with bracket and clocks
The Spare bike has inherited the parts removed from the Race bike and houses my old 5 Speed engine running on 750Ss ie throttle bodies and injectors with the fuel map in the ECU modified to suit, which is one of the main things I was testing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	Race Bike.jpg Views:	392 Size:	108.7 KB ID:	13208  Click image for larger version Name:	Spare Bike.jpg Views:	334 Size:	149.9 KB ID:	13209