Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 04-Dec-2005, 21:01
Mille

First Ride

We'll the rain held off for today so I took the opportunity to to have my first ride on my new SPS. Not a special road, no special scenery, no awesome corners, no other bikes to ride with ... but boy what a ride. I'm 40 yrs of age with two young kids and I thought my life was over! Not now! I got home with such a grin on my face ... my Mrs said that she hadn't seen me like it for years, and it was like she got the man she married back. I've been on cloud nine all evening after spending an hour of therapy cleaning the bike after I got home.

I don't know if everyone feels like this after their first proper ride on a Ducati, but it was exactly what I had imagined and exactly why I had lusted after one of these babies ever since I got my first bike nearly 25 years ago. You don't have to be doing anything extraordinary to have a fantastic time on a Ducati - the sound and the feel of the bike are so awesome and it just oozes character after all those UJMs I have owned. The last time I had as much fun on a bike was on my 250 LC when I was 18 years old and still on L-plates. The Ducati has the same way of making you feel so "special". Remember when you were 10 years old and you got that new pair of football boots that were so great that you had to wear them to bed? Well the SPS makes me feel exactly the same. If I could sleep with it I would!

All I can say is, if anyone out there is thinking of buying their first Ducati then do whatever you have to do to make it happen ... you owe it to yourself before you die! And if anyone out there has been riding Ducatis so long that it no longer gives them that thrill (does that ever happen?) then give me a shout and I'll ramble incoherently at you about it till you remember why you bought the thing in the first place.

Gobsmaked!
Old 04-Dec-2005, 21:09
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
You've brought a huge smile to my face - honestly.

I remember feeling like that twice. Once when I first rode the 996. And then again when I rode the 998R.

I'm glad you posted that, and I'm glad you had such a good time. You've reminded why these things are so special.

Old 04-Dec-2005, 21:14
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
You've brought a huge smile to my face - honestly.

Mine too! I rode my 996 for the first time on a freezing day this March, it made me smile too, but not half as much as it did during the summer! Wait until you get the SPS out on a warm day on a great road (or even better, a great track ) The best is yet to come!

Great post BTW
Old 04-Dec-2005, 21:15
Big Twin

I got an ST2 3 1/2 years ago when I was 42 - midlife crisis thing, had 18 years off of bikes and the last one I owned before that was a BSA 250 C15. I was so excited. A few months later I traded up to an ST4s. BIG grins again and for the next 10k miles. Then a year later I got the 749s and been riding that for over 2 years now. STILL grinning. It doesn't end.

In fact ... I had put it away for the winter but I think I might have to exhume it for the trip to the pub on Tuesday!

[Edited on 4-12-2005 by HW]
Old 04-Dec-2005, 21:16
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Spot on, David. I've been out on my Monster today. She is now tucked up in the garage, covered in mud - just from ordinary country lane riding. I went hither and thither today, absolutely loving it

I can't put my finger on exactly what it is that Ducati does for me. All I know is, I could quite happily have done another 300 miles, time and daylight permitting, and I would have had the same grin on my face as I did when I got home at 5 pm with a rucksack packed with the Sunday Times and the Sunday dinner. Nice to see your post up here.

How mucky is you bike, ce soir???
Old 04-Dec-2005, 21:30
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

Yep, me too.

Picked my 748 up from Leeds, aged 39. Rode back the 60 miles to Wigan, with a big smile on my face.
Old 04-Dec-2005, 21:36
Big Twin

Yep I felt the same way when I first rode my 916 and felt the same way When I rode the 996 for the first time.

It brings a smile to my face everytime I ride it

As for a Track day well my grin was stuck for days afterwards

Enjoy mate but for your sake Book a track Day
Old 04-Dec-2005, 21:40
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
I often think of selling my sps....then I ride it!! Couldnt agree more! Great post.
Old 04-Dec-2005, 21:59
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
nice, glad you enjoyed it.
keep it clean though
Old 04-Dec-2005, 22:09
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

great post, glad you enjoyed it.

I have been to tom and dick this weekend to get out so I spent four hours cleaning the ST4 instead ! and now I can see a quick rinse after a ride out doesnt cut the mustard so from now on its the pressure washer and a proper clean after every ride until they stop using salt.