Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Jul-2006, 16:37
Mille

Mood: Mood? I'll give you mood!
Gates timing belts

Bought myself a pair of belts in preparation for neil748r (c'mon sunshine, you know you want to try out your new guage) to do the business.

I was told to buy the Gates ones and the part number I was given was 5192XS 58095 x 17. the belts I got were 5192XS 58095 x 17HSN. I queried this and was told the extra letters meant nothing and were just the same. Not convinced, I contacted Gates - but they've not responded to me.

Does anyone know if there's a difference?
Old 24-Jul-2006, 16:40
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
My understanding is that Gates only supply the correct belts to Ducati and they are not available elsewhere.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 17:03
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
My understanding is that Gates only supply the correct belts to Ducati and they are not available elsewhere.

Yeah, maybe. I was under the impression that Gates won't sell you a belt and say it's for a Ducati. The belt may be identical to another application (Renault's mostly) in size, construction and quality - but they'll just not tell you. Maybe that's why they've declined to respond to my emails.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 18:18
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
My concern would be that whilst it is the same in dimensions terms, it does not have the same strength. One of the reasons Ducati's are hard on belts (they need changing more often) is that they use smaller pulleys than cars and all that extra bending puts more force on them.

I have seen de-laminations and perished rubber in some of the bikes that I have had apart, I just wouldn't take a chance on a belt.
Old 01-Aug-2006, 12:10
Mille

Finally got a reply from Gates. They say that whilst the dimensions are the same, the composition is a little different.

The way it was written suggested that I should steer clear of the car ones - so I returned them and coughed up the extra dough for the real McCoys. £15extra for peace of mind is a good deal in my books.
Old 01-Aug-2006, 23:25
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 748 sp,748 bip , 600ss dd,speed triple.

Mood: neeeeeeed piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie
ive been told the new belts have kevlar weave in them maybe thats the difference??
Old 08-Aug-2006, 11:47
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
chris at california cycleworks sells bucci belts for about half the genuine price. they work fine on my bikes.
www.cacycleworks.com