Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 06-Nov-2012, 00:53
Montjuic
Bikes: Triumph Speed Triple/DD 620/

Mood: It's a grand life if you don't weaken
Newbie looking for the plot!

I did not realise it, but it seems I must have mislaid the plot.......
when I told my wife and friends that I was going DD racing in 2013 they all said, that at my age 'I must have lost the plot'. So if anyone out there knows where it is, please let me know, because if it means being sensible and boring I need to avoid finding it!
I now have a bike, but would like a bit of advice about what range of sprockets would be useful to have, and what are the essential spares to start the season with.
Any other advice would be great, but looking forward to seeing everyone in the paddock next year.
Old 06-Nov-2012, 07:56
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
You'll find the plot on the 1st corner of your 1st race

Depends what year your engine is and whether 583 or 620 and 5 or 6 speed

Stick some info up, plenty will help
Old 06-Nov-2012, 08:37
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpet
I did not realise it, but it seems I must have mislaid the plot.......
when I told my wife and friends that I was going DD racing in 2013. They all said, that at my age 'I must have lost the plot'. So if anyone out there knows where it is, please let me know, because if it means being sensible and boring I need to avoid finding it!
I now have a bike, but would like a bit of advice about what range of sprockets would be useful to have, and what are the essential spares to start the season with.
Any other advice would be great, but looking forward to seeing everyone in the paddock next year.

How old are you? You may be the oldest on the grid, but no prizes for that and no one will let you win easily either. Welcome to the fold.
Old 06-Nov-2012, 09:41
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
How old are you? You may be the oldest on the grid, but no prizes for that and no one will let you win easily either. Welcome to the fold.

Sorry Phil its still you,we must not have 2 G.H.O.S.T.s. but he may be bald.lol.
Old 06-Nov-2012, 10:51
Montjuic
Bikes: Triumph Speed Triple/DD 620/

Mood: It's a grand life if you don't weaken
Newbie details

Bike: 600ss, 5 speed box, Maxton fork internals, Gubellini adjustable rear shock, managed to get linkage from rear sets on upsidedown for race pattern, currently got Pirelli's on but need to get correct tyres (where do I get them from and how much are they?)

Rider: 53 year old who apparently should know better! Living near Oban on west coast of Scotland, done a number of track days etc. and years ago some Enduro's and Hare and Hounds meetings but never been road racing. Am now booked in for CTC with the ACU and getting all other paperwork in order.

I want to try and get to a few track days at the circuits so having an idea about gearing to go with would be great, also would be good to have a starting point for the race weekends. Also what other spares / replacements(apart from the rider!) would it be good to start the season with? And finally what other advice for first few races
Old 06-Nov-2012, 13:59
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
sounds like a decent bike and tbh age wise you'll be at home with the old guard...

depnds on year of engine as to sprocket choice. Do a search in the DD section for a gearing chart - its Skids worksheet - tells you all you need.
Old 06-Nov-2012, 14:35
500SD
Bikes: Honda CB350 K4, Ducati 749s

You don't need that many. To be honest people will probably say front 14 and 15 and rear from 44 to 47. However, it all depends on how YOU ride. 14 46 is a good starting point though.
Old 06-Nov-2012, 16:20
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spjallen
You don't need that many. To be honest people will probably say front 14 and 15 and rear from 44 to 47. However, it all depends on how YOU ride. 14 46 is a good starting point though.

They are 620 5 speed ratios Simon.

There are quite a few knocking on 50+. As for me I shall be one year younger than my race number in February.

If its a 95ish SS you want a 14 & 15 front rear std is 41 so you ought to have 42/43/44/45.

Replacement clip ons and levers possibly master cyls as well. tyres from pro-tyre Dunlop Qualifier H rated. that is if we still go with that tyre. We may get a better deal on something else, so wait for any announcement in the next month.

Spare chain and softlinks. Coolbox full of beer for when you can't ride it.

Its a bloody long way to the circuits from up there, altho' Steve Mason lives close to Knockhill.
Old 06-Nov-2012, 21:08
Mille
Bikes: 900ss 600ss xr400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost

If its a 95ish SS you want a 14 & 15 front rear std is 41 so you ought to have 42/43/44/45.

i got through this season fine on 14+15 front and 39 40 41 on my '95 600ss but with some engine's final drive ratios ghosts figures will be better- skidlids is most likely to be able to help you work out which engine you got- rest is trial and error- if you rev out in top in 1st half of straight you're too low- if not you probably not far out- theres a site called "gearing commander" on net that i found helpful working out the different combinations

best tip from me is ride as fast as you can without falling off
Old 06-Nov-2012, 22:32
500SD
Bikes: Honda CB350 K4, Ducati 749s

Yes that's right Phil. Sorry if I confused you. To be honest you'll find a ratio you like then change it through the weekend as you get faster. Pieman stuck to one ratio for the entire season and it worked for him! I fiddled too much this season and that can be as bad.