Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Feb-2006, 13:45

Mood: Offshore
Rear Tyre and huggers

Hi all

While fitting my new exhausts at the weekend I noticed that my rear tyre has been rubbing against the hugger and has started to wear a groove in the plastic. The previous owner had fitted new tyres to the bike (Dunlop 207's) when it was sold and I hadnt realised that the 180 section rear tyre was not the standard fitment.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket hugger thay I could use as a replacement that wont foul on the 180 section tyre, or should I just live without the rear hugger until the tyre is worn through then replace it with a 170 section?

Cheers

Darren

[Edited on 6-2-2006 by Darren27]
Old 06-Feb-2006, 13:56
888 at Last !!!

somethings wrong because I would have thought that a 180 section tyre would have a lower overall profile than a 170. Ie a 170/60 section tyre will be "pointer" than a 180/55 and the potential to wear through the hugger greater.
Old 06-Feb-2006, 14:04

Hi Ziggi

When viewed from the rear, the left hand (chain side) edge of the tyre just catches the hugger. There is room above the centre of the trye and on the right hand side. If it is a tyre size problem then it appears to me to be connected with the width than its overall height.

Mind you I am no expert and any help is appreaciated.

Cheers

Darren
Old 06-Feb-2006, 14:09
888 at Last !!!

I'm no expert also but 180 & 170 are both recommended fitment for SS rear tyre. Is it possible that the rear wheel is out of alignment?
Old 06-Feb-2006, 14:17

I checked the adjusters on the swingarm and they appear to be set correctly either side.
Old 06-Feb-2006, 23:41
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

My initial though was that the hugger was mounted wrongly but that seems remote - however, if everything is ok - them perhaps the hugger could be 'splayed' out by putting some washers between the mounting points and the plastic.

Also - I'm ashamed to say its been sooo long since I worked on my bike but, I seem to remember putting the big axle / bearing spacers in the wrong way around and causing a world of problems once upon a time - try measuring the tyre to inner swingarm distance on both sides.

Good luck - Frank
Old 11-Feb-2006, 00:13
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Is it a 4.5 or 5.5" rim??
Old 11-Feb-2006, 14:40
Montjuic

Mood: Here comes the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
like Frank says, jiggle about with the fixing holes for the hugger, either by spacers or by carefully opening them out with a small round file. Cheers, Brian.
Old 11-Feb-2006, 21:08

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies.

I have checked the rim and it is a 5.5 so it should take the 180.

I took off the hugger to try and either fit a spacer or to adjust the holes and noticed that the hugger is not straight. I know that the previous owner had fitted a carbon hugger but kept hold of it when he sold the bike. The dealer said that the orignal hugger could be fitted if I wanted it. I now think that the hugger has been stored somewhere with something resting on it and it has become warped. I have fitted a couple of small washers under it to lift it off the tyre but will keep my eyes open to find a replacement.

Thanks all for the advice.

Darren