Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Aug-2020, 19:08

Total loss of engine oil while riding

My initial post got little interest so I thought I would repost.
I stopped at a set of traffic lights. When I set off it was a left turn down a steep hill, the bike stepped out as I opened the throttle. I thought nothing of it and carried on but then saw smoke in my rear view mirror. It was only about half a mike home down hill all the way so I put the bike into neutral and coasted home. On arrival the back tyre was covered in oil but no oil pressure warning light came on. I put the bike in the garage until the next day. The only sign of oil escaping from the engine was the oil filter which was lock wired in place. I removed the filter and only about 250ml of oil came out of the engine. I have checked the long transverse mesh filter and that is clean, the crank case breather is not blocked and there is no Oil in the air box, the reed valves are all clean and working correctly.
The bike has been laid up for about 3 years. I changed the belts, plugs, oil and filter and the bike started 3rd or forth push of the starter button. It has covered 29,000 miles in total and about 100 miles since I got it running again. What should I check next? The filter is a K&N style with the nut on the bottom but all looks ok. I am reluctant to just fill it with oil again and ride as if it does it again it could be a be a big problem if I was riding fast on a bend.
Thanks

Mike
Old 19-Aug-2020, 17:50

All sorted now
Old 20-Aug-2020, 15:21
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk
All sorted now

What was this issue?

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 20-Aug-2020, 15:28

When I took the oil filter off originally, first time I’ve done it on this bike the stud screwed out of the crank case. When I put it back in the deflector plate must have turned. This put it on top of the locator lug cast into the crank case. Resulting in the oil filter not screwing up tight and sealing. Not sure why it didn’t leak straight away when I fired it up and chose to wait until I had done about 100 miles. Glad I was nearly home when it happened.