Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 08-Jun-2012, 17:35
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bally71
Not really the point is it ..

Why not? If you've not raced in the series with the rules as given, how can you have any experience?

If you look at the opinion of those who do have experience in the series, such as Kev and Mike, you'll see that they think the series doesn't need wets.

But as I said before up there ^^ we have rules so you know what you're signing up to before you race. If you don't like those rules, you don't have to race as nobody is forcing you to!!

/blunt

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 08-Jun-2012, 17:54
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 620SS Desmo Due 800SS Minitwin 1000SS Monster 750

Mood: Inquisitive cat
[quote=antonye]The other point to remember is that the rules reflect the wishes of majority of the paddock and not just a few individuals. If the paddock votes for wets, warmers, grid girls, naked riding, etc, then we would implement that as the rules.

QUOTE]

So when's the vote?
Old 08-Jun-2012, 18:09
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Ask Craig he may differ in opinion

IMHO Ghost has called it right: the organisers need to step up when it's too much and postpone or cut short the race/s

But then think of the abuse they will get when they stop a race from starting but won't give a refund....
Old 08-Jun-2012, 18:17
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders

...which is the root of the problem; we all have differing opinions, so we have to go with the majority and not with what the "individual who shouts the loudest" wants!

This consultation/voting leads us to a set of rules, which you then either agree to and race with, or don't agree to and find a different series to race in.

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 08-Jun-2012, 18:22
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bally71
So when's the vote?

The rule consultation period usually happens at the end of the year with rule changes being discussed and agreed as far advance in as possible, otherwise people moan that they don't know what the rules are for the next season.

However, should someone have serious concerns (about any issue) and wish to call a vote for all riders then as Chairman I am happy to listen and to see if we can accomodate those rule changes.

Be aware that major rule changes, such as tyres, would not be implemented until a new season and we would also need to have a consultation period which may include testing of the various options. If it was a major safety concern, or some smaller rule (ie, a rule refinement or clarification to stop cheating or suspected cheating) then these adjustments are easier to fit in during a season, but again we would expect to have a period of consultation to ensure that what we were doing was the right thing and in the spirit of what Desmo Due was created for.

Old 08-Jun-2012, 18:32
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
I don't think cost can be levied by anyone as a genuine reason not to use wets. Most bikes have plenty of money spent on them, some lots, and many seem to have spare wheels. Do you have to have warmers?

Think it's only a discussion based on 2 things
Safety
Spirit of DD

Safety only seems an issue when as described by Ghost, and spirit of DD is cheap controlled racing which 1 control tyre suits
Old 08-Jun-2012, 18:36
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 620SS Desmo Due 800SS Minitwin 1000SS Monster 750

Mood: Inquisitive cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders

IMHO Ghost has called it right: the organisers need to step up when it's too much and postpone or cut short the race/s

But then think of the abuse they will get when they stop a race from starting but won't give a refund....

Raises a valid point that the threshhold of what can be considered as "safe to race" would be lowered by the tyres ability to displace water .. Do you think Hottrax take this into account?
Old 08-Jun-2012, 18:55
500SD

Mood: ready to race
Hottrax do take it in account as they did on sunday the clark of the course wash talking of delaying the racing because of the wind , its in there interest not to send us out if it was dangerous . personaly i dont see a problem riding in the rain ,i was having fun in all three races was happy to carry on ,i got my best results in the wet just got to be smooth and brake in a straight line . it brings out more ryder skills and if you relax its just as enjoyable . ive rode on wets on big bikes they have limits it gives you more confidence but can be over confident hence why we saw so many crash on wets on sunday
Old 08-Jun-2012, 19:44
DSC Club Member
Mille

oops

well it certainly started a discussion,thanks to all for their bit.The bit i was getting at was not about wets or changing the spirit of dd,ghost-bradders and bally have the gist of what i was aiming at.I slid in the same puddles that caused matt to crash,i backed off cos i was already hurting ,It has happened before at snett 100mph plus on one foot and one wheel,even jimbo crashed out !!!but it was a championship race and you cant blame people for pushing.(at this point we need to have matts opinion for the reason of his crash)of course when he is well enough.All i was saying was ,that if at a certain point the prevailing conditions dictate that we wait for a start or postpone or void or stop the race we need to discuss options to control what happens.Sure i can pull off and stop,but i feel that hottrax (for all the best reasons)would have no reason to stop a race due to extreme weather-our rules say that we will race on control tyres,end of argument.If we start thinking about it now,we can fine tune something for next year.The thing that niggles is that we cannot get into any kind of scenario that may incur serious injuries so just a little food for thought.
by the way,on the safety front.I just got out of hospital
apparently the dyson ball cleaner is not what you think!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-Jun-2012, 20:09
Mille
Bikes: 900ss 600ss xr400

it is what it is so therefore it is like it is...

Every type of tyre has a limit of grip, wet or dry.
We manage to have more fallers in perfect dry warm conditions than in wet puddling conditions.
I figure the concept of racing involves riding as close as you dare to either your limit, bikes limit, or tyres limit, whichever is slowest. Racing in the wet has be to the limit of grip, or more your confidence in how much grip you think you have.
With the tyres we run that may not be that much, but they seem fairly predictable and the speed we can reach is considerably less. Therefore when we find that limit we will be going much slower, have more chance of catching it and hopefully hurt less if we loose it. This could be argued as being safer, and cant be disputed as simpler and cheaper. We may look a bit silly to onlookers who don't know what we are doing tiptoeing round, but that doesn't really matter.
Those that push it harder have a chance of gaining places to balance against a chance of falling off. We can all see the patches of standing (and running) water and make our choices whether to back off or gamble on them- letting someone go could loose you the place or equally gain it if they overestimate the grip- you pay your money and take your choice.
Personally i think the middle ground when it's patchy is the hardest and most dangerous when you will push harder where there's grip and maybe run out to a slippy bit- this will still be the case if we allowed wets and could so easily end up on the wrong tyre anyway.
I've had my 2p's worth now and reckon the rules are what they are, are fine, and are what we all chose to do- after all there are plenty of other classes where you can use any tyre and blow our season's tyre budget in a weekend if that's your thing. If we were trying to go 140mph+ with 120bhp+ it may be a whole different story, but I'd rather do this as it's a different kind of challenge and a whole lot of fun!!