Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:06
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
I think Skids is referring to my post on Ducatisti, in my 09 prep thread, where I stated that my crank was ready to pick up after balancing. The crank and all associated parts are made with certain tolerances. When you hand the entire mass over for balancing ( crank, rods, pistons, gudgeon pins, circlips ) all thats done is to make sure that WITHIN THE FACTORY TOLERANCES the crank is not running out of balance. What I have had done is nothing to do with performance enhancement, just to try to ensure the engine doesnt fly apart. NOTHING has been lightened outside tolerances, NOTHING has been polished, its just been PUT TOGETHER PROPERLY, no more no less. Its a bog std 583 crank, with bog std 583 rods, and bog std 583 pistons, and bog std 583 gudgeon pins, and bog std everything. I have several engines and have mixed and matched parts.....so balancing is then an absolute necessity imho. NOT lightening or polishing, BALANCING. Its NOT been modified in any way shape or form, nor even has it been lightened to get to minimum factory weight, just put together to run evenly.

According to the rules it's illegal then
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:10
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Chris it would not be easy to police, as I have already mentioned doing it on weight would require the crank to be fully stripped from the bike and then weighed on accurate scales and compare to a verified factory figure with a +/- tolerance.

and as the RC don't have to stump up any protest money (see extract from rule 2.1.1 below) is it worth the risk/cost of having a bike that is thought not to comply with the rules

2.1.1 Compliance Control
are placed in a parc-fermé for a period of at least 30 minutes.

Any motorcycle can be checked for compliance with these rules, and any other technical requirement, if requested by a representative of the DSC Race Committee.

The DSC Race Committee may require a rider or team to provide such parts or samples as they deem necessary without the need to resort to the ACU protest procedure.

At no point do you have to ask your engine builder to balance the crankshaft and they can't make you do it, the rules clearly say No Modifications, its the same rule for everybody.

There you go Matt, I think I win

Chris
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:12
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
.....the rules also state :
Wheels including diameter and rim width must remain as originally produced by Ducati since 1992 for the 600/620 bikes.
Front wheel 17” X 3.5”, Rear Wheel 17” X 4.5

but we all know 748/916 wheels are used......I think some common sense needs to prevail here.

But that is cheating then, you would be well within your rights to protest those that run 916 type wheels and your protest would be upheld.

Or are you saying its OK to cheat because others have done it?
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:16
Mille

Not at all Tim, cheating should not be allowed. My understanding of the rules is that no mods are allowed to the crank, and as far as I can see balancing a crank is merely good practice, not cheating in anyway, as I have already said, it is absolutely bog standard in everyway, with no performance enhancement inferred or gained from just putting the thing together properly. I handed them a crank, 3 sets of rods and pistons and gudgeon pins, circlips piston rings etc and told them to balance the thing.
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:19
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
i am so glad we dont do this any more.
have a nice day everybody, as we do now

sorry if you think i am taking the pi55 but this is something i realy dont miss

just goes to show you have to be careful what you say as blueprinting means putting the engine together properly as not many factory engines are put together to within close tolerance.
What nogaro has done is the right thing for the engine as in putting it together properly which some people call blueprinting.

im going to butt out now as my 6pworth is just spent.
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:25
WSB Hero

Quote:
Not at all Tim, cheating should not be allowed. My understanding of the rules is that no mods are allowed to the crank, and as far as I can see balancing a crank is merely good practice, not cheating in anyway, as I have already said, it is absolutely bog standard in everyway, with no performance enhancement inferred or gained from just putting the thing together properly. I handed them a crank, 3 sets of rods and pistons and gudgeon pins, circlips piston rings etc and told them to balance the thing.

No issues with the crank - but it sounds like Class B is the new Class A with a selection of engine parts available to create the best engine - nice work.

Part of the challenge and enjoyment for me of DD was creating and building a bike that was within the rules, but took advantage of any available advantages that could be had by applying the rules. Sounds like you've done that with the crank, by using OEM parts that best match (without any machining) to run as efficiently as possible.

My point was about the wheels, if riders are cheating (knowingly or otherwise) by using illegal wheels then they should be protested, or better still, a quiet word should be had with them to point out that they are outside of the rules if they don't run a 583 or 620 OEM wheels. Then they avoid getting protested (and paying out £s) and also avoid getting black-balled by the rest of the paddock.

Maybe its time to plan and run an early "this is what you can do to a DD bike and this is what you can't" session.

Or maybe as part of a FAQ list in the DD section?

Tim
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:27
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK
i am so glad we dont do this any more.
have a nice day everybody, as we do now

sorry if you think i am taking the pi55 but this is something i realy dont miss

Get out of it, this is why you still read the DD section !!!!

Anyway, its bloody freezing outside, we can't ride our bikes and the season is months away, what else can we do???

And its a laugh.
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:28
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler
No issues with the crank - but it sounds like Class B is the new Class A with a selection of engine parts available to create the best engine - nice work.

Part of the challenge and enjoyment for me of DD was creating and building a bike that was within the rules, but took advantage of any available advantages that could be had by applying the rules. Sounds like you've done that with the crank, by using OEM parts that best match (without any machining) to run as efficiently as possible.

My point was about the wheels, if riders are cheating (knowingly or otherwise) by using illegal wheels then they should be protested, or better still, a quiet word should be had with them to point out that they are outside of the rules if they don't run a 583 or 620 OEM wheels. Then they avoid getting protested (and paying out £s) and also avoid getting black-balled by the rest of the paddock.

Maybe its time to plan and run an early "this is what you can do to a DD bike and this is what you can't" session.

Or maybe as part of a FAQ list in the DD section?

Tim

ok... two questions..

how can you tell the difference in the wheels - is it obvious for numpties lke me?

second - I assume the wheel I got from you was kosher
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:31
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily
ok... two questions..

how can you tell the difference in the wheels - is it obvious for numpties lke me?

second - I assume the wheel I got from you was kosher

I think its more of a 583 thing? But could be wrong. As the earlier wheels were a lot heavier than the later 620 Monster and Sport ones. I only ran 620 wheels on my 620 ( I don't know if the 916 type are any lighter than these anyway) - so the one I sold you is fine as its an original 620 wheel.
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:36
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler
Get out of it, this is why you still read the DD section !!!!

Anyway, its bloody freezing outside, we can't ride our bikes and the season is months away, what else can we do???

And its a laugh.

a month away tim just a month
and yes, i like to delve in here on occasions not to remind me of the politics and borrocks that i dont miss any more, but to enjoy the banter with the dd people still.
after all if it wasnt for dd then we wouldnt be doing what we do now in running in a great club which has televised racing all season