Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 22-Sep-2009, 12:55
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
tyres...again????

it is amazing how the same issue crops up over and over again....Nothing ever changes in the DSC, bless it!

The tyre letter from Pirelli exists or certainly did exist (I have recently thrown out an enormous pile of DSC paperwork away in which I think there was a copy). - As Chairman at the time of the start of DD we were very concerned about liability, both financial and moral, - racing is dangerous and we wanted to reduce risk to both the Club and certainly the riders. At the time there were "issues" around road tyre suitability on track, - I can recall the conversation regarding a dreadful accident at Brands Hatch, that if I recall correctly unsuitability of tyres in a sudden downpour were in part to blame.

Right from the start the series was setup to be step up from track days so riders would not have race experience and very purposefully did not want decisions over wets and slicks, and the resulting wrong decisions ending up with accidents.

I did a search in my inbox for Pirelli and founds loads of e-mails, - this one dated 15th March 2005 between the then RC is quite interesting:
Quote:
5) A lot of you will be aware of the ongoing police investigation into the death of a superstock rider last year, this caused us a problem over the tyre issue for the series. It should be noted that Pirelli came forward and provided us with the necessary written confirmation of the suitability of their Diablo tyre for the series. This has in all probability saved us from having to cancel the series or introduce an expensive tyre option including 2 sets of wheels, warmers, wets, etc. which the majority did not want. Do not underestimate the potential liability issues that we were having to deal with here and what this commitment from Pirelli means.

Obviously this took us a lot longer to sort out that we had hoped for, however we have managed to do it and the series goes ahead. Some rather snide remarks have been made in Pirelli's direction on the message board. I think that I should set the record straight in this area. Firstly no where does it say that you have to buy your tyres from A & R racing, market forces will always apply, but they will have stocks of tyres at each of the rounds for those that might need them. Secondly as we asked Pirelli so late in the day, they were not able to put loads of money (free tyres!) into the series because of their other commitments

Old 22-Sep-2009, 14:23
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC Racing
Up your own chesnuts matey.....and trump you with mi tyre warmers!

Dam, you got me there. Trump away triumphantly

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 22-Sep-2009, 18:01
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Ooooh a 749 series.......
Old 22-Sep-2009, 19:07
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by couchcommando
Ooooh a 749 series.......

Now there is an interesting idea!
Old 22-Sep-2009, 20:01
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Where do I sign?
Old 22-Sep-2009, 21:21
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
Chris,

Well put, there has not been a formal/written request to the RC to consider the choice of tyres that the series might run. There has been a lot of speculation and words on the forum earlier in the season, but that is not a proposal.

Ultimately we are not aware of any racer that is not happy to race on the Pirelli's, in fact they would seem to be suitable for the series under all conditions and the main thing is that the manufacturer has signed off on that.

Yes we could look at wets, but as Chris.P pointed out that increases costs for all involved, not saving costs. With regard to using a "cheaper" tyre, the ultimate decision is not cost but rider safety on track - can anyone show that in any way the Pirelli is lacking in suitability?

Why is the point always being MISSED

It isn't about the suitability, its about the monopoly on supply. open it up to ZR's there are then oodles of suppliers one could get them from.

As it is now HR'S suppliers are easily counted on one hand.

As I have said before a light DD bike will get far more heat in a tyre on track than a T9 will on the road, so that is not a dismissing factor.
Old 22-Sep-2009, 21:58
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
It isn't about the suitability, its about the monopoly on supply. open it up to ZR's there are then oodles of suppliers one could get them from.

I bought a pair of ZR's by mistake at the beginning of the season. It did cost me £20 more than what Holbeach charge us for the HR. For once, I am quite happy with that monopoly if really monopoly there is...
Old 23-Sep-2009, 10:44
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Why is the point always being MISSED

As it is now HR'S suppliers are easily counted on one hand.

As I have said before a light DD bike will get far more heat in a tyre on track than a T9 will on the road, so that is not a dismissing factor.

I am afraid that you have this wrong. It is not about a monopoly of supply (no one has insisted that you buy your tyres from Holbeech and I confirmed that I could order them from my local supplier on a 48hr basis this morning) it is about the tyres being used being "fit for purpose".

We have previously been informed by Pirelli (and I reconfirmed this at the begining of this season) that the Class A bikes (our most powerful) do not have enough power or weight to work the ZR tyre hard enough to get them up to operating temperature for safe racing under the conditions that we operate under at New Era events.

If the bikes had more than 90bhp and weiged more than 175kgs, then they would be recommending the ZR rated tyre - we do not meet either criteria.

Hopefully that will put this to bed once and for all.
Old 23-Sep-2009, 11:59
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
I am afraid that you have this wrong. It is not about a monopoly of supply (no one has insisted that you buy your tyres from Holbeech and I confirmed that I could order them from my local supplier on a 48hr basis this morning) it is about the tyres being used being "fit for purpose".

As my linkon page 3 of this topic shows FWR can do the rears but at £99

Stickstuff can do a rear for a tad over £88 and a front just over £68 os about £157 a pair

http://www.sticky-stuff.co.uk/produc...oducts_id=5799

http://www.sticky-stuff.co.uk/produc...oducts_id=5762

Not what I would call a Monopoly
Also BuggsySPS has looked in to what the tyre company he works for could supply them for, they can supply them but at a cost greater than Holbeach

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 23-Sep-2009, 11:59
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:

We have previously been informed by Pirelli (and I reconfirmed this at the begining of this season) that the Class A bikes (our most powerful) do not have enough power or weight to work the ZR tyre hard enough to get them up to operating temperature for safe racing under the conditions that we operate under at New Era events.

If the bikes had more than 90bhp and weiged more than 175kgs, then they would be recommending the ZR rated tyre - we do not meet either criteria.

Hopefully that will put this to bed once and for all.

I don't accept that as a valid argument, 125 Hondas and the supermono class, carry less mass than ours, same to not much hp difference.

You cannot sit there and justifiably say that a 748/749/999 road bike will work a tyre harder on the road than a Desmo on the track, as that is a total nonsence.

You made the point a supplier can get in 48 hours. Common used tyres i.e ZR Rossos would be in stock, even at mediocre suppliers