Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Nov-2021, 21:22   #1
DSC Club Member

Question 998 coolant (expansion ) tank leak issue
Hi folks , anyone had a similar problem with 998 coolant tank leaking ? It’s the one just mounted under the headstock area , I’ve previously had leak issue and replaced the tank, a couple of years ago. looks like it’s just happened again today . They seem to split at the joint on the tank as they're plastic . Quick online search seems it’s a common problem.

Just wondering if anyone found a solution or better product then stock Ducati ones ? Cheers for any thoughts / advise , SB
Old 08-Nov-2021, 10:38   #2
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I thought that this issue was solved on the later 998 by changing the mould for the tank and reinforcing the weak area... but maybe not!

The only other thing that I remember is some people having alu tanks made to replicate the Corse version, but I expect that these would be super hard to get hold of now.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 08-Nov-2021, 14:08   #3
DSC Club Member

Cheers Antony , yes have seen online some examples of the aluminium type unit (albeit not sure anyone makes these now ) and a carbon version which are possibly in stock in Europe ! Wondered if anyone has used these ? Might be more expensive but would hopefully save replacing them . Other than not sure if you can tell the fluid level as I don’t think they have an indicator then as long as they fit shouldn’t be an issue . Appreciate any thoughts. Steve b
Old 16-Feb-2022, 20:26   #4
DSC Club Member

Unhappy
Hi folks , for anyone interested , quick update ….. I finally fitted the new carbon coolant tank ( made by EVR from carbon4us.com) and very frustratingly (understatement ) The pipe connection nozzle on the tank failed / is faulty ! And of course leaks . So it’s on its way back to the supplier ( in Spain ) for their inspection.

I’ve refitted new Ducati standard plastic tank part and hope that one lasts …..