Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Supersports: SS / SuperSport / Supersport 950 (/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Oil temperatures (/showthread.php?t=488)

Colin900SSFE 29-May-2003 19:24

Oil temperatures

Just out of curiousity, what would you say a "normal" working temp be on a 900SS?

Today was the first good day that I have been able to have a long ride and the temp got to 110º. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance.

Colin.

phillc 29-May-2003 22:14

I've got a 750SS that I've only had for a month or so. Therefore I don't really know what the "normal" operating temp is.

However, I've heard from various other people that the temp gauges can get up to the 3/4 mark, which seems quite hot, but they don't actually go into the "red" and overheat.

This is just heresay though. I've not had a chance to see for myself yet.

Fordie 29-May-2003 23:20

On a hot day you are more likely to see the temp gauge creep up, especially in traffic.When in Spain last year I was quite concerned when my 900 went close to the red mark only cause i was stationary waiting to board the ferry.I turn the engine of if it looks like i will be stationary for any lenght of time. Fordie;)

Cris 29-May-2003 23:30

i've got a 900sl, and have had it for a year now. i too had this panic when the weather started to get a bit hot. the temperature gauge use to get so close to the red that i use to get the bike home as soon as i could to let it cool off, affraid it might just blow.
relax, it's normal for it to get that hot, specially during the summer. i noticed the idle would climb slightly, but it never overheated. not even when stuck in london traffic, during a very hot day.

[Edited on 29-5-2003 by Cris]

David Cook 30-May-2003 08:55

Colin, that sounds high for "oil" temperature.

I was using my 996 on a trackday yesterday (<28C) and noticed that the oil temperature didn't get above 85. Do you mean water temperature?

Jools 30-May-2003 11:25

Remember SS's are air/oil cooled David.

What sort of temperature do you see on your 900 Monster? That might be about the same? Probably a bit cooler 'cos hot air won't get trapped in the fairing like a 900SS probably does at a standstill.

David Cook 30-May-2003 20:32

I was waiting to see who would find my deliberate mishtek.

As regards the M900, I'm really not sure about engine temp because I automatically switch that display to clock mode.

Basically, no help at all - now where's my coat!

Colin900SSFE 30-May-2003 21:32

Still wondering :)

Anyways I do not have a red line, just increments up to 150 degrees.

David Cook 31-May-2003 14:46

Colin, I was out on a 90 minute run on my Monster this morning and paid attention to the OIL temp for you.

The maximum it reached was 96C but I didn't get caught in any traffic. I'm sure that it would have gone well over 100C if it was stop/start riding in this weather.

Colin900SSFE 31-May-2003 14:50

Thx, I too had a blat on the A339 Basingstoke to Alton and back with varying degrees of traffic and it didn't go much over 100. I will take this as normal then considering the ambient temperature today. Must go out and play again :D