Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Trackdays & Race Schools (/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Alternatives to Trailers. Anyone seen these? (/showthread.php?t=21947)

VanDaMauler 18-Sep-2005 11:35

Alternatives to Trailers. Anyone seen these?

Next year I wanna get a 4x4 to be able to tow a trailer.

But the thing with a trailer, is when its not in use, you gotta store the thing and hope Pikey`s dont sniff it out and nick it :mad:

Saw this, its looks like a good alternative, what are your thoughts?

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/Motorcycle_Carriers.htm

rockhopper 18-Sep-2005 12:00

Like it says, you'd need to be careful you dont exceed the nose weight limit of your car. Note that none of the detail pics show a decent sized sports bike on the carrier!

skidlids 18-Sep-2005 12:17

Providing you have the right 4X4 or larher car then they are not to bad a idea. The RSV aprilia shown in one pic must be around the same weight as a 748/916/996/999 etc so they should be up to the job especially if its a Desmo Due race bike that needs to be transported.

VanDaMauler 18-Sep-2005 12:18

This pic has a big , heavy Millie on it, they gotta weigh more then a 996.

[Edited on 18-9-2005 by Bubbles]

VanDaMauler 18-Sep-2005 12:20

I`m thinking of a Warrior next year, big tow bar, one of these on the back...
Trackdays will be a doddle.:cool:

skidlids 18-Sep-2005 12:23

Just add a couple of air shocks on the rear and pump up when carrying a bike

gaz3014 18-Sep-2005 12:38

Had a Mountain Bike carrier that fitted to the tow bar of my car, and it was limited to 60KG!!

I know that it's not even close to that of a sportsbike, but it still lifted the nose right up. Plus I'm not sure about how save the towball would be able to handle about 180kgs of speedmachine!!:cool:

My personal opinion is that it would be too dodgy!!!:ninja:

LesPaul 18-Sep-2005 13:01

Dry weight of a 996 is just under 200kg, the towball limit on a Shogun Sport (much the same as a Warrior) is 110kg so don't think it would work.
How about a folding bike trailer, there are some really neat ones on the market which will fold up and fit in the boot of a medium size saloon car (obviously not with the bike on :lol: )

Darren

mikesps 18-Sep-2005 13:14

How about their trailer, it only picks up the front wheel. Should reduce the tow-ball load.

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/motorcyc...rualic_003.htm

Maybe you could turn the whole thing around and push a Morris Minor at 140MPH with your Ducati. :D

Dibble 18-Sep-2005 13:20

Quote:

Originally posted by mikesps
How about their trailer, it only picks up the front wheel. Should reduce the tow-ball load.

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/motorcyc...rualic_003.htm

Maybe you could turn the whole thing around and push a Morris Minor at 140MPH with your Ducati. :D
#

I like the idea of that even less,the bike will still have some tipping motion I imagine and all those forces acting on the front wheel and tyre .... and i imagine you'd end up "dragging" the bike about ....