Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Brake problems??? (/showthread.php?t=14445)

Twinfan 21-Feb-2005 16:35

I'll get mine on here later...

jobr 21-Feb-2005 17:22

Mine is an 04 749s purchased November 2004 last six digits of the frame number are 003690.

Jools 21-Feb-2005 17:59

I've never owned anything later than a 2001 ST, but on the these bikes the brake and clutch lever have a large grub screw near the pivot. It looks for all the world as if you can use this to adjust the lever span but this is a mistake, because if you adjust it too far the master cylinder piston doesn't return far enough to let brake fluid return and the brakes effectively 'pump up' until they lock.

Since, somebody mentioned 'grub screw' earlier on in this thread could it be a similar problem?

I know the 749/999 have a different master cylinder and I've never really bothered to look that closely at them so I could be talking rubbish

guest1 21-Feb-2005 18:10

Quote:

Originally posted by Jools
I've never owned anything later than a 2001 ST, but on the these bikes the brake and clutch lever have a large grub screw near the pivot. It looks for all the world as if you can use this to adjust the lever span but this is a mistake, because if you adjust it too far the master cylinder piston doesn't return far enough to let brake fluid return and the brakes effectively 'pump up' until they lock.

Since, somebody mentioned 'grub screw' earlier on in this thread could it be a similar problem?

Front brake has "dial" for adjustment so the grub screw theory may or may not be relevant.
I know on the superlight it had a small plastic insert between the adjuster and the cylinder plunger.

Jon 21-Feb-2005 19:24

Your getting confused with the span adjuster and the screw that takes up slack in the lever before pumping the fluid.

V2 PETE 22-Feb-2005 01:12

my details are

registered march 2004

binned feb 2005

frame no ends in 002616

interesing to see tf's conclusion on the matter...!!!

pedro 22-Feb-2005 08:39

i can see d.i jack frost getting in on this one?:lol:

V2 PETE 22-Feb-2005 08:49

you may have radials on yours ..
but you may have the same lever and master cylnder.....!!!!!!!
you say you of to spain too....!!!!
are you the next guy.........:puzzled::puzzled::puzzled:

V2 PETE 22-Feb-2005 08:52

british hospital food is one thing...!!!

spanish hospital food , well thats another.........:barfy::barfy::barfy:

Twinfan 22-Feb-2005 09:35

Quote:

Was yours a front brake problem, if so really scared now as yours is only 8 frames away from mine

Yep, Pete has had exactly the same problem as me. Front brakes locked, bike went down. I forgot to get my frame number last night, so I'll have to do that later.

Scary stuff huh?

Quote:

you may have radials on yours ..
but you may have the same lever and master cylnder.....!!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly...