Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Fork protectors/bungs (/showthread.php?t=14993)

Harv748 08-Mar-2005 18:07

Fork protectors/bungs

You know what I mean, the jobbies than go in the spindle to provide some protection in case of a spill.

I know there are a couple of different makes out there...anyone used the JHP or tecmoto ones?

Any make better than another. Any a waste of time?

I believe someone makes a small diameter version, so the socket can go over them...any ideas who?

Ta:rolleye:

spinoli1 08-Mar-2005 18:34

Hi Harv,

I've got the R&G ones intended for Ohlins forks. I use a thin peice of plastic stock to shim the fit my Showas, and wham them on with a rubber mallet.

It's a good idea to drill a hole through them, so that you can use a bar to get them out without mangling them. The kit also includes one for the r/h side rear spindle. About £27 ex-VAT if I remember correctly.

Not been tested (yet), but R&G bungs really saved my old TL from some major destruction, and they are very friendly and helpful to deal with.

Spinoli

Jon 08-Mar-2005 18:51

Harv have the JHP ones. can recomend that they work:( You don't even have to remove them to takeoff the front wheel. They are designed so that the socket passes straight over them:smug:

Mr_S 08-Mar-2005 19:02

Was thinking of the R&G ones myself, but wondered about the fitment. Spinoli, can you remove the wheels without removing the bungs?

yeti 08-Mar-2005 19:21

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon
Harv have the JHP ones.

They were not big enough for me, so I made some 2 inch diametre ones myself threaded onto a piece of 6 mm bar. The unscrew in seconds, but will hopefully protect the fork from all but the very worst spill.:sing:

Jon 08-Mar-2005 19:39

Quote:

Originally posted by yeti
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon
Harv have the JHP ones.

They were not big enough for me, so I made some 2 inch diametre ones myself threaded onto a piece of 6 mm bar. The unscrew in seconds, but will hopefully protect the fork from all but the very worst spill.:sing:

That why it took so long to change wheels;)

smilo006 08-Mar-2005 20:39

Just bought a set of R&G, fit a treat (Ohlins). There is German company www.b-g-racing.de something, German. They do a set of four for 70 Euros. They have 2 that also fit the back wheel too.

Andy748 09-Mar-2005 00:19

Bought a set off a guy on ebayfor £15. They are the bolt and rod assembly described by Yeti and took minutes few to fit. I have not tried them yet, mind you the forks/brakes were one of the few things I did not damage when I dropped the bike at Silverstone last year.

Mr_S 09-Mar-2005 00:44

There was loads you didn't damage.

You only missed one session....

spinoli1 09-Mar-2005 09:35

Hi Harv,

Re the R&G bungs - not sure if you can remove the wheel with them in place - I've never tried. However, I think the answer will be no.

I'll have a look tonight and report back.