Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Welshpool (/showthread.php?t=271426)

banger san 17-Nov-2013 11:11

Welshpool

Guys, what time is everybody thinking of getting to welshpool, in time for a bit of tucker and a few jars at the local hostelry?

bally71 18-Nov-2013 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by banger san
Guys, what time is everybody thinking of getting to welshpool, in time for a bit of tucker and a few jars at the local hostelry?

Hopefully yes .. It's only an hour for me so should get there about 6 I reckon

banger san 18-Nov-2013 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by bally71
Hopefully yes .. It's only an hour for me so should get there about 6 I reckon

I'm hoping to get there by about 7, 7:30

skidlids 18-Nov-2013 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by banger san
I'm hoping to get there by about 7, 7:30

Depending on how deep the snow is

badgerpilot 19-Nov-2013 00:59

M6 traffic dependant, 7 is my target too.

mat2hew 19-Nov-2013 10:35

dunno, got to work up to 2ish then 4¼ hours google says,,, plus the coffee and wee stops. might want some lunch as well....

milesaway 19-Nov-2013 21:04

forecast looks bit better now

snow on the mountains here now but forecast for fri not as grim as it was- looks like 5c sunny with no big frost on thu night after all (at the moment):roll:

Bimjob 20-Nov-2013 00:44

I shall prob aim to get there for 6-7 ish. 3 hr drive so not too bad hopefully. Will be ready for a beer and scran :)

mat2hew 20-Nov-2013 16:42

if I feel as knackered as I do right now I'll probably have to stop for a sleep as well.

skidlids 20-Nov-2013 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mat2hew
if I feel as knackered as I do right now I'll probably have to stop for a sleep as well.

How old are you. Hope you have your slippers and electric blanket with you

mat2hew 21-Nov-2013 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidlids
How old are you. Hope you have your slippers and electric blanket with you

I have, and a hot water bottle. thanks

vespa 23-Nov-2013 10:59

How was it?

banger san 23-Nov-2013 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by vespa
How was it?

Great fun, weather perfect, bloody hard work and feeling a bit stiff today

bally71 23-Nov-2013 12:30

Totally awesome day

bit too many B roads for my liking but other than that couldn't fault it for a good time

Forgotten how much I loved the muddy stuff ...

Watching Andy B slowly destroy his bike over the day was the icing on the cake .. until he got lost .. and that was the hundreds and thousands and the cherry :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh and crowbarring the KTM 450 off matt .. and finding out that the "beast" was actually the most user friendly bike there .. and it had heated grips too ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

oh .. and riding through puddles to soak people .. makes me **** my pants

here's to having daft crashes and falling off without hurting yourself and smashing your bike to bits .. and fixing stuff with the heel of your boot

and a very big hurrah to Miles for organising the whole thing

I'm hoping we make it an annual event

hows about this for next year :D ....
http://www.redtread.com/lads_long_weekend.html

mat2hew 23-Nov-2013 19:22

I can't wait to do it again, Don't think the Mrs would let me go to Spain without her though.

I did quietly chuckle to myself when he said sometimes groups of freinds try racing each other and that's when accidents happen.. so don't race!

Would you expect US not to race?

mat2hew 23-Nov-2013 19:27

Things I learned...

I have learned that 450's are better than 250s and KTMs are better than Honda's.

That is just from a me riding point of veiw, I don't know of care about reliability or running costs or anything like that.

I didn't try the 'girls bike' because Badger wouldn't get off it.

milesaway 23-Nov-2013 23:18

Quote:

I have learned that 450's are better than 250s and KTMs are better than Honda's.

That is just from a me riding point of veiw, I don't know of care about reliability or running costs or anything like that.

Reliability good and running costs much less on honda xr like mine and worth looking at- air cooled + less stressed engine- less power but heaps of torque- totally adequate most for kinds of non serious stuff- avoid full mx version of honda crf- expensive top end rebuilds a certainty

milesaway 23-Nov-2013 23:41

Thanks to all who came along and made it great fun weekend- didn't mean to soak anyone in huge puddles or start andy's day of diving on the ground before breakfast was even over (honest)

Glad everyone enjoyed it and great the weather was on our side
Think just about everyone fell off at some point and no one hurt themselves (much) and got a feel for it by the end of the day
Be happy to do it again anytime it's not frozen or snowing

Thanks for welcoming nicki into the fold- she had a really good day and kept the pace impressively I reckon

Look foreward to seeing any pics and scott's vid- shame i didnt have a helmet cam too coz had cracking view of three comedy falls from andy

Si1208 24-Nov-2013 00:04

It sounds like you all had a blast ! I wish I had saved some leave... but hey ho!

For what it's worth, I did a 5-day tour with Redtread Spain, and it was brilliant. They cater for all levels - even total noobs like I was at the time. I gather there has been a change of management since then, so I don't know how that has gone, but the location and the terrain are excellent

badgerpilot 24-Nov-2013 08:48

Quote:

Nobody wanted her first thing did they?? :(

I got kind of attached to her by lunchtime so all you 250 an 400 never enjoyed the thrills of clutch slip any time you got near full revs! :eek:
2nd or 3rd gear was all you needed until you wanted to go fast or up a hill.

Bimjob 08-Dec-2013 13:52

Well I've succumbed. Just bought a crf250. Went for a quick 10 minute blast this morning down my local green lane and bumped into a nutter and great bloke called ginge who proceeded to take me out hooning around mud plugging at ridiculous speeds. I didn't get home for hours and got a bit of stick off the mrs as she thought or maybe hoped I was dead in a ditch somewhere. Anyway I only crashed twice which is quite good by Blomfields standards! I think that Welshpool trip has given me a great winter hobby. I haven't laughed so much in ages but Im not sure I will be able to walk tomorrow!, :-)

skidlids 08-Dec-2013 13:57

Nice one Jim, it's great fun during the winter and even more of a laugh when the Snows deep and hardly anything else can move

milesaway 08-Dec-2013 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimjob
Well I've succumbed. Just bought a crf250. Went for a quick 10 minute blast this morning down my local green lane and bumped into a nutter and great bloke called ginge who proceeded to take me out hooning around mud plugging at ridiculous speeds. I didn't get home for hours and got a bit of stick off the mrs as she thought or maybe hoped I was dead in a ditch somewhere. Anyway I only crashed twice which is quite good by Blomfields standards! I think that Welshpool trip has given me a great winter hobby. I haven't laughed so much in ages but Im not sure I will be able to walk tomorrow!, :-)

good move- hours of really cheap biking fun once you have yr own bike- me and nicki went out last weekend for good trip round bottom of mountains and got her through some much trickier muddy stuff- if you ever fancy coming over this way again with it we'll find some good places to go

Bimjob 08-Dec-2013 15:24

That would be awesome miles. Will def take you up on that. I know what you mean about cheap. Had half a day out riding and got fuel, bacon butty and a jet wash with change out of a tenner! Let me know when suits you and I will come down your way

milesaway 08-Dec-2013 15:57

found another place that do stuff really close but only on own bikes- can make 4 of us at least with you me nicki haydon and anyone else who fancies it- maybe we should buy andy a bike for the amusement factor

mat2hew 08-Dec-2013 16:31

I so so really really wish I haddn't spent all my money,,, I want one.

Bimjob 08-Dec-2013 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by milesaway
found another place that do stuff really close but only on own bikes- can make 4 of us at least with you me nicki haydon and anyone else who fancies it- maybe we should buy andy a bike for the amusement factor

Def all chip in for a bike for Andy just for giggles, this time though we have to strap a couple of cameras to him so we can relive the **** taking moments over and over!

Bimjob 08-Dec-2013 17:01

Quote:

I so so really really wish I haddn't spent all my money,,, I want one.

Mine was quite cheap Matt. 04 plate £1750 ready to roll. The 450cc bikes youve got your eye on seem to be about the same sort of money as the 250s. Just get one, wrap it and put it under the Xmas tree and look really surprised when you open it!

milesaway 08-Dec-2013 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimjob
Just get one, wrap it and put it under the Xmas tree and look really surprised when you open it!

I like the sound of that plan