Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Sport Touring: ST4 / ST3 / ST2 (/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Fairing Rubber Gromets (/showthread.php?t=7617)

Athelstan 22-May-2004 13:37

Fairing Rubber Gromets

Yesterday as it was chucking it down I decided (because mum was out with kiddywinks) to take off the fairing and give the those areas you cann't normally get to a good spring clean. It was then that I notice that some of those black rubber bungs that hold the fairing retaining screws in place were in not so tip top condition.

Therefore before disaster stricks and one of those tinkers goes kaputt on me does anyone know of a cheaper (other than Ducati) source of supply for a complete new set???

Any feedback would be very much appreciated. :eureka

Jools 22-May-2004 14:01

They're called Wellnuts and lots of places stock them, although none of them seem particularly cheap. I saw some at Riverside Motorcycles in Northampton, although that's probably not going to help you in Switzerland. The usual mail order folks, Busters, Demon Tweeks etc should keep them though

I don't know the current price of them because I got a complete set of new ones included in a kit of Pro-Bolts aluminium fairing screws, they look quite nice so you may want think about replacing the screws as well. I can't remember how much I paid for them but they're on the Pro-Bolts web site

In my experience though, the still work alright even when the grommety bits look tatty, so you may have nothing to worry about.

Having said that, they make getting the fairing off a complete pain in the censored, so I'm looking to replace mine with Dzus fasteners.

[Edited on 22-5-2004 by Jools]

Rob B 22-May-2004 18:34

I have a big box of em, how many do you need and I'll work out a price inc pastage for you.

Rgds,

Rob

Athelstan 22-May-2004 21:30

Cheers Rob

In answer to your question - enough to last me forever I hope.

Now that means 8 of the "big uns" for down underneath, then I reckon 20 of the "small uns" should keep me in spares for the rest of my natural.

Re postage - I am visiting friends (none bikers sadly) in London on June 2 so you could post'em there. Re payment - just tell me what method you wish and send me a U2U with the address details.

Athelstan 22-May-2004 21:33

Jools

Thanks for the swift reply - if Rob cannot help me then I'll try your suggestion of Pro-Bolts.

Cheers, and if you ever need any info re biking in the alps - just ask :)

Rushjob 22-May-2004 23:13

I can get a box of 50 Rawlnuts ( the same as Welnuts, only cheaper and they seem to last better too! ) from a contact for £20 + vat if anyone wants a box.
Andy

John W 24-May-2004 00:03

Yep, my local fasteners suppliers (Margnors, Guildford Surrey) sell them too.

Important info to get the right replacements is the thread size (M4 I think) and the overal length and diameter.

Phil Parratt 25-May-2004 10:14

Wellnuts

Rob41 - you have a U2U:roll: