Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Possibly Looking for a 998r (/showthread.php?t=111909)

Totto 27-May-2012 12:34

Possibly Looking for a 998r

After a long break from bikes after getting run over on my last Ktm I am now possibly in the market for a clean 998R , it needs to be std or have all std parts included , not to worried about mileage but under 10k would be better !

No mad silly 20grand bikes please as I don't think in this climate any 998R is worth that maybe a few years ago but not now !

Email me any info or contact me via DSC.

Ferris_trevor@hotmail.com

Many thanks for any help.

Eyore 30-May-2012 17:33

Just wondering why not a 998S as opposed to an R,the differences are tiny but the price isn't:rolleyes: I can understand an R as a garage queen but an S as a bike to actually ride makes more sense imo.

Ray 30-May-2012 20:37

Hmmm........the performance difference might be very small, Ducati only claimed the r had 3bhp more than the s but the r had more goodies.

Carbon body work, ohlins front forks, bigger bore shorter stroke engine,

I rode a 998s and feel wise it didn't ride a lot different with the showa nitrided forks but the engine just didn't have the grunt of the r, maybe the s I rode was a poor example.

Did a you have a go on mine and I'll have a go on yours swap with someone years ago who owned an MV f4 1000. They also had a 998s and it was killing them to know if the r was a big step up from the s. Their view was there wasn't a big difference, certainly not enough to justify the big £££££ it would cost them to "trade up":D
Incidently I thought the MV was a beast, like sitting on top of an F1 car engine but a bit of bus handling wise:o

If the OP is who I think he is then maybe owning a r is a long held itch that needs scratching. :D

Ray

Chef 30-May-2012 21:33

Ray - that's why I bought a 998s

The 998r looks better as does the 996r but not much in the performance if the 998s is well set up - mine makes circa 150bhp and fuels really well :)

ps it's the one in my avatar

skidlids 30-May-2012 23:15

the 998R is the only version of that style of bike with a 999cc engine, so a very rare beast

Cobbett 30-May-2012 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray
Did a you have a go on mine and I'll have a go on yours swap with someone years ago who owned an MV f4 1000. ... I thought the MV was a beast, like sitting on top of an F1 car engine but a bit of bus handling wise:o

The guy who sold me my 998S bought an F4 afterwards. He hated the handling and got rid almost immediately.