Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Any ideas on how best to polish carbon fibre? (/showthread.php?t=5853)

robracenut 11-Mar-2004 23:35

Any ideas on how best to polish carbon fibre?

Got some DP carbon fibre that has slight surface abrasions on it, spoiling the smooth lacquered finish. Is there any way to renovate/polish these out without removing the parts from the bike and having them professionally ground down and relacquered? They're not deep abrasions.

Thanks!
Rob

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by robracenut]

belthead 12-Mar-2004 09:04

An American-made liquid polish called McGuire's is used to polish abrasions out of perspex aircraft windows. Should be suitable for light marks on the clear-coat over the c/f.
Try a bit out carefully tho' to start with.

niggs999 13-Mar-2004 18:52

polish

robracenut my bike fell of its stand recently had sratches in the carbon side deflecter, i polished small scratches out using atsol metal polish paste and buffed it up with car wax.it work a treat niggs:saint:

robracenut 13-Mar-2004 22:56

Thanks guys! -- will try both (carefully!).
Couldn't find either product on the 'net but I guess Belthead means 'Meguiars' (www.meguiars.co.uk) and Niggs means 'Autosol'??

What wax did you use Niggs? Any kind in particular? (Sorry to hear your bike fell off it's stand btw -- hope there's not too much damage!)
--Rob

niggs999 14-Mar-2004 19:37

scratches

any car wax go carfully with the artosol it dulls the resin but the wax brings up. even deep scratches will cum out in time, depends on the depth of the gell niggs:):D

robracenut 19-Mar-2004 10:18

Just to confirm I've used both of the above methods, and both work well. The Meguiar's PlastX is designed to restore and polish clear plastic , and that brings the carbon clear coat up really nicely to a mirror finish, while removing light marks.

The Autosol metal polish paste is amazing. Does a great job of removing deeper scratches and actually leaves a nice shine itself.

I didn't use the car wax cos I thought the wax dulled the shine of the lacquer a little.

Top tips, guys! :-)

Rob