Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   carbon air tubes (/showthread.php?t=17759)

DC 20-May-2005 10:57

carbon air tubes

:)

I am after a set of carbon air tubes for my 748. I want to know what other people think, such as quality etc and what firm they have bought theirs from.
If they exist, I am after the set that let you keep your standard indicaters and air filters.

I am also interested in the carbon v piece and the headlight support and fairing arms.
Does anybody here have this carbon headlight support fitted? Is it ok or is it tosh?

Cheers,

DC. :burn:

antonye 20-May-2005 11:42

I've got the road versions which take filters and indicators - they're a real ******* to get the filters into as they obviously don't come apart!

The only ones I've ever seen are Ducati Performance (or as supplied by MS productions) so they may well cost a pretty penny.

Just try not to crash your bike as they break really easily ;)

rcgbob44 20-May-2005 13:33

DC
I have fitted D.P carbon air tubes to my 998 and they had the guides for the standard air filters. I removed them from mine as I use under tank filters from JHP. I still retain the indicators etc, The quality of the D.P tubes is rubish and there so thin you can see daylight thru` them.

I have also fitted the V piece and am very happy with that, and its even a D.P part.

I had considerd fitting the headlight support in C/F but as yet have not found a decent one. They also have a habit of breaking where they attach to the headstock.

I have also been told by several people that the fairing suppoprt arms in carbon are not a good idea for road use as there primerily ( I wonder if thats how you spell it!) for racing use and are not really strong enough for a road bike.

Ray 20-May-2005 13:53

Got DP tubes on my 998 as it came with them. Yep the filters are a pig to fit into the runners and yep you can see daylight through the carbon.

Ray.

DC 20-May-2005 14:57

mmmmmmm,

seems like I may be looking for a while yet then as I do not want to fit the under take air filter. And as for the carbon headlight support. If thats the case I think that I will leave well alone!

Cheers chaps,

DC.:burn:

Dibble 20-May-2005 15:01

DC

Why dont you want the undertank filter ??

Just being curious ....

I run carbon tubes with a JHP filter and she runs superbly .....

I think unless you are a trackday god the difference is negligible ....

I have a spare 2nd hand filter that you can have to try if you like ..... take the standard filters out of your current tubes, run the undertank one and see how it goes, if it is detrimental then you know not to .... all found out first hand by you for free ....

u2u me if you want it ...

JPM 20-May-2005 15:06

Don't forget Dibbs you can remove the mesh in the nosecone for the filters also as that won't be needed either.

Henners 20-May-2005 15:18

DC - I'd recommend going with the JHP type filter as the inline ones don't allow you the full intake roar and, just as important, relies on the seal between the airbox and the tank to keep dust/flies/etc from entering the engine - something it doesn't always do very well :(

beancounter 20-May-2005 15:24

Shazaam will be along shortly to remind us all (again) why undertank filters should not be used.....

If you can't wait, do a search on previous posts...

p.s. yes, I use an undertank filter

Ray 20-May-2005 16:04

There are several types of " JHP" undertank filter.

I have just replaced the the type that forms a tube between the two airbox intakes on a 998 with pipercorss filters in the carbon air tubes.

The mark 1 backside dyno seems to indicate improved throttle response, better pull at low revs and various other subjective points and the ears less induction roar. (no mesh fitted before and after)

Off on the dyno in a week or two's time to do the "after" figures power figures.

Ray.

[Edited on 20-5-2005 by Ray]