Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Chain tension - what should this be?? (/showthread.php?t=450)

Rattler 28-May-2003 12:06

Chain tension - what should this be??

Still trying to get to grips with the neutral issue and want to check the chain tension.

N E 1 know what the chain tension (vertical movement) should be on a 996 SPS at the tightest point?

Thanks
Tim

Guido 28-May-2003 12:38

Tim,

As far as I know, all 748/996 models are the same in that you measure the tension at the point of the chain that runs below the swingarm just in front of the curved lower edge of the swingarm. If I've understood the decal on my bike correctly, the tension should be 25mm total movement in the chain in an up and down movement.

Now the argument is, do you take this measurement when the bike's on it's sidestand unloaded or with the rider sat on it?

Hope this helps mate

Jasper 28-May-2003 12:57

I' ve always done mine with me sat on it,'cos it doesn't half tighten when loaded.Wether this is the official way,i don't know!

Rattler 28-May-2003 13:57

The Haynes manual says on the sidestand....

and measure at the tightest point.

I managed to find that bit, but couldn't find what the measurement should be.

I know that I'd seen a mesure somewhere, but couldn;t find it again, it probably was on the swingarm then - DOH!!!;)

Thanks for your help..

Tim

Totto 28-May-2003 14:32

Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper
I' ve always done mine with me sat on it,'cos it doesn't half tighten when loaded.Wether this is the official way,i don't know!

Don't think mine moves that much
Wonder why ?????
:lol::lol:

Jasper 28-May-2003 17:57

'Cos you didn't have half the stuff that me and Old Yella had strapped to our bikes at the NW200!!

Haley 28-May-2003 20:57

Rattler, the chain tension (25mm) is on page 1.2 in the haynes manual.

Its under Drive chain freeplay.

Hope this helps??

nelly 28-May-2003 21:12

I set mine so that I can lift it so it just touches the under side of the swingarm, where the "measurement" is taken, without having to put any real pressure under it.
I set mine on the rear paddock stand and go tight and then back it off to get the tension.

Totto 28-May-2003 22:08

Is the idea of 25mm slack not so that if the rear suspension hit's full compression there is enough slack so the chain will not get stretched !
Correct me if i am wrong !

I seem to remember an article where they compresssed the rear suspension fully then adj the chain so it was just neat ,that way they knew what the correct amount of slack was when uncompressed !

Felix 28-May-2003 22:48

Have you tried to compress it fully? Easier to stick to 25 mm, IMHO.