Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Sprocket Carrier - Cush Drives (/showthread.php?t=18403)

Pete A 07-Jun-2005 14:37

Sprocket Carrier - Cush Drives

I'm in the process of fitting an S.T.M. sprocket carrier and was expecting to find the (new) cush drives to be a press fit, but in fact the fit is relatively loose. Having read in previous threads about movement in the carrier/sprocket, just wondered if anyone has used Loctite for assembly to minimise any play.
Regards, Pete

JPM 07-Jun-2005 15:12

For assembly or for use?

If for use I can't imagine it would make any odds the force put through each cush drive would soon break any bonding affect the glue would have.

748mart 07-Jun-2005 15:21

There should be no noticeable play in the cush drives, if there is play your cush drives or carrier are out of tolerance. My cush drives are a reasonably 'firm fit' they pushed in by hand but tight enought to stay in place. I agree with JPM, loctite isn't gonna make much difference.

the old man 11-Jun-2005 00:37

I might have missunderstood the original question but...

The cush rubber is held in place by the bolt down its centre - which bolts to the spider. The sprocket then 'sits' on the cush rubbers.

The common problem of cush rubber movement is caused by the rubbers themsleves breaking up - the centre bolt is bonded to the rubber and this bonding fails, alowing the rubber (and outer metal sleeve) to slide out through the sprocket and machine the hub carrier.

The more recent versions of the Renthal, quick release, sprocket carriers have a small lip machined in which will prevent the cush rubber moving.

doogalman 11-Jun-2005 09:08

I allways us loctite on the retaining nuts, but not on the cush outers into their hole.

Doogalman