Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   starter problems any one???? (/showthread.php?t=5978)

marksduc748 17-Mar-2004 18:40

starter problems any one????

hey guys. just had my 749 in bits and rebuilt it and come across a problem, which is now when I turn egnition on and it reads the key etc lights go out then I press the start button and it turns over but wont stop turning over when I take my finger off the start button so have to switch it off by the off switch on the handle bars or by the egnition, flick it back on and its ok till I press the starter button again. So got any ideas?? close to putting my head through the noose but that wont help. all ideas and I will be greatfull.

kwikbitch 17-Mar-2004 18:50

Get a red one???

kwikbitch 17-Mar-2004 18:52

Ouch! Sorry!
I have had 3 quarters of a bottle of red...

marksduc748 17-Mar-2004 19:07

well dont make yellow stuff in a bottle.
if they did I would buy loads cos its all down to taste. and not a lot of that in red my friend.
:frog:

nelly 17-Mar-2004 21:09

Firstly, go over and check the bits you've taken off.
The starter button can stick if the mounting screws are overtightened. The plastic moulding distorts.
Other than that, the solenoid could be sticking.
Don't leave the engine running with the starter spinning it over to for too long. It'll more than likely wear the spragg clutch.

marksduc748 17-Mar-2004 21:33

hiya nelly just spoke to some one and reckons they are supposed to do it but it never did before I stripped it now I am confused!

Dibble 17-Mar-2004 21:46

Listen to Nelly mate, exactly the same symptoms I had with mine .. except the only way I couls get it stopped was to put it in gear and stall it ...

Sounds like the exact same thing with the solenoid sticking ...

and Mark, whoever told you they are supposed to do it ... well I'm afraid he doesn't know his rear end from his elbow ... sorry ...

Oh, and according to my invoice from Nelly, they are just over £30 plus VAT ...

So not too terminal or expensive in the greater scheme of things ...

Good luck mate ...

andyb 17-Mar-2004 21:55

errr..... yes, 999s are supposed to do it. Dibble if your thinking of a 998 etc then they dont of course.

marksduc748 17-Mar-2004 21:58

done all that nelly changed the selenoid and the switch on the bars cos I have one I am breaking. he seemed adoment thats what they do I might have to contact ducati and see what they have to say but there again I can always use the 748 good old reliable thing and in the best colour (yellow) looks like the ropes going on. :( good old technoligy!!

marksduc748 17-Mar-2004 22:06

but do 749? I know my 748 doesnt.