Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   dumb DD race prep questions from non ducati man (/showthread.php?t=171379)

yeendy 10-Dec-2012 19:05

dumb DD race prep questions from non ducati man

well chaps i have completed all the paperwork , got the bike , all i need know is a bit of help from you old sages and i should be out to play next year,
the bike i have purchased is a monster which has a bikini fairing and belly pan , what do i need to fit a full fairing as i prefer that look ,
the bike is an ex DD race bike which raced last year at cadwell. do i need to do any winter maint on the bike besides oil and filter, ie drain tank and carbs , belts, etc , the bike is kept in a warm dry place so the winter will not harm my new toy, sorry for the dumb questions , cheers in advance

Ghost 10-Dec-2012 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeendy
well chaps i have completed all the paperwork , got the bike , all i need know is a bit of help from you old sages and i should be out to play next year,
the bike i have purchased is a monster which has a bikini fairing and belly pan , what do i need to fit a full fairing as i prefer that look ,
the bike is an ex DD race bike which raced last year at cadwell. do i need to do any winter maint on the bike besides oil and filter, ie drain tank and carbs , belts, etc , the bike is kept in a warm dry place so the winter will not harm my new toy, sorry for the dumb questions , cheers in advance

Well you will need a full fairing to start with, then just fashion brackets to secure it. I only use a Bikini fairing, easy fix when it goes down the road or off it completely.
As its been raced you will want to treat it to some decent oil and filter. Belts are not overly dear on the 583 so put a pair on. Just have a good check around as if something can fall off it certainly will. So cable tie multi-plugs together after making sure terminals are clean and silicone greased.

Just obvious house keeping really. Good luck with it. :)

bally71 10-Dec-2012 19:31

got a 1098 fairing on mine .. was a pretty easy to fit .. had a new fairing stay made by chaz ..little bit of cutting around the bars and a couple of brackets and le voila .. mucho sexy time

dunlop0_1 10-Dec-2012 19:57

Make sure things that should be tight are tight and things that are supposed to come undone do so.
All the stuff Ghost said but remember not fully synthetic oil.

Book a TD in Feb.

:D

banger san 10-Dec-2012 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
All the stuff Ghost said but remember not fully synthetic oil.

:D

Why not fully synthetic?:confused:

chris.p 10-Dec-2012 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by banger san

Fully synthetic ok on a 583, but not a 620 as the clutch will slip till it gets hot.

Chris:burn:

banger san 10-Dec-2012 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris.p
Fully synthetic ok on a 583, but not a 620 as the clutch will slip till it gets hot.

Chris:burn:

There's been a lot said about about clutches slipping when synthetics are used, that is typically caused by using oils with friction modifiers in them, a good quality synthetic designed for use in a motorcycle engine is unlikely to have friction modifier added so the clutch should not slip.

Andy

dunlop0_1 11-Dec-2012 05:24

Quote:

Also the cost. :o

banger san 11-Dec-2012 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
Also the cost. :o

That's one reason I do understand :)

antonye 11-Dec-2012 10:13

Quote:

There's been a lot said about about clutches slipping when synthetics are used, that is typically caused by using oils with friction modifiers in them, a good quality synthetic designed for use in a motorcycle engine is unlikely to have friction modifier added so the clutch should not slip.

When DD first started, many years ago, we were all given sponsorship packs from Shell which included their fully synthetic oil.

I think just about everyone had problems with clutch slip using that, but once we switched to the semi-synth it was resolved.

The fully synth didn't go to waste - it went in my 748 instead ;)