Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Sport Touring: ST4 / ST3 / ST2 (/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Ducati Pannier Inner Bags (/showthread.php?t=29597)

Athelstan 20-Apr-2006 09:10

Ducati Pannier Inner Bags

Hi ST'ers
Anyone out there used the "official" Ducati Pannier Inner Bags?
Are they any use, for example, are they waterproof - very tough - zipped or stud fastened?
How much do they cost?
Anyone know the "Ducati Part Number"?
Know wher any are for sale?

Or shall I just stick with putting my clothes n toothbrush in plastic bags before I stuff them in the ST's excellent waterproof panniers. Feedback most welcome.[/font

rockhopper 20-Apr-2006 09:31

They come up on ebay now and again, i've been tempted but for the £75 or so that they tend to go for i'd rather stick to bin bags!
When we stop at hotels we tend to take the panniers off the bike anyhow.

rockhopper 20-Apr-2006 09:35

967035AAA is the part number

Athelstan 20-Apr-2006 11:08

Thanks Rockhopper for the part number.

I also take the Panniers into the hotel on tours, however, there have been occasions when they have been so filthy and wet from a 400 to 600 day ride that I am a liitle ashamed of the mess they make on a nice clean hotel room carpet! Not the conduct of a gentleman - me thinks.

Red Steve 20-Apr-2006 15:52

I have a set of the inner bags that I use on my ST3. A little pricey, but aren't all Ducati accessories and parts!

The bags have a zip closure and a nice carrying handle. I bought them as I tour quite a bit on the bike with the wife and we've found them much easier to use than taking off the panniers and lugging them into wherever we happen to be staying. I think they are 100% waterproof and have lasted well over the 2 years I've had them.

Much better in my book than a Tescos carrier bag.

rockhopper 20-Apr-2006 16:46

How much are they new Steve?

I just worry that if i leave the panniers on the bike some scrote will break into them.

Rushjob 20-Apr-2006 17:21

I've got a set - don't use them much but if going to a hotel they are used for the reasons given above.... hotel carpets and sheets don't like second hand road dirt & chain lube!

Athelstan 20-Apr-2006 18:01

Thanks for the feedback Red n Rushy

Q: How much did you pay for 'em (U2U me if you want to keep it confidential) and where did you buy'em.

Q. Vanity question - my YELLOW ST4s may be a little upset if, and it is a real if, they come only in red........heaven forebid. Do they come in any other colour other than red.

Finally - do you two have any pictures of the inner bags you can post here?
Many Thanks to All

Rushjob 20-Apr-2006 18:18

£40 from another DSC'er....
Mine are black and that is the only colour I'm aware they come in.
Pictures - see here - Ducati.com

YMFB 20-Apr-2006 18:49

as far as price availabilty and flexibility Tesco carriers are excellent, however they do look chavish if stopping in a hotel. If a set of Ducati/non fango bags came up I would be seriously interested. Im sure I read somewhere that BMW bags may also fit, ok if your conscience allows.

Rushjob 20-Apr-2006 20:31

There's always the option of these if the genuine ones don't suit....
Motobags...
Also some useful under seat bags too.
Good special offer right at the bottom of the page.

[Edited on 20-4-2006 by Rushjob]

Athelstan 21-Apr-2006 08:53

Rushjob - as ever very informative.

Right then - Ducati Black is fine, so all I have to do is to find a source that will sell me a set (preferably new) at a "fair" price - so come on all you official Ducati Retailers, sharpen ya pencil.

John W 24-Apr-2006 22:49

Hi all,

I too have a set of these, and use them all the time. Below are my comments :

- They only come in black.
- I have yet to get any water inside tyhe panniers, but they do not claim to be 100% waterproof. I bet the zip would let water through without too much effort.
- they are an odd shape, so you have to be fairly imaginitive with your packing.
- because of the funny shape we actually pack other things around the outside of the bag to make full use of the panniers. The wife thinks they are next to useless due to this.
- the underseat motobags are excellent and VERY recommended. I carry extra tools, tie wraps, spare scottoil, puncture repair kit, and a sponge (!?!)
in just one of them.

imo, if you can get the inner bags at a good price, have them. If not, compression bags from somewhere like blacks are just as effective.

Cheers,
John.

Athelstan 25-Apr-2006 09:01

John
Many thanks for your "owner's comments" - much appreciated.

Yep, if I can get some at a reasonable price I will buy the Ducati pannier inner bags.