Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Race (/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   TT (updated) (/showthread.php?t=7818)

skidlids 29-May-2004 04:02

TT (updated)

The competitor lists are now up on the IOM website, just had a look at the 400s and my bike with Adrian on it will be either the 22nd or 23rd 400 away from the line on race day (no rider at No.60 at the moment). I hope he will be a lot higher than this in the practice sessions after looking at the other entries in the race, with any luck and the bike running well I hope to see him in the top 15 in practice, but we will have to wait and see.
Looked at the weather forecast which doesn't look that promising, looking at the long term forecast the best day of the TT fortnight looks as if it will be the Monday when the 400 race is scheduled.

Still we will know more this evening hopefully I will have a practice report from Adrian telling me that things are going well.

http://www.iomtt.com/results/2004/entriesLW.asp

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by skidlids]

[Edited on 20-7-2004 by skidlids]

Jon 29-May-2004 18:58

All the best Kev, keep us informed of your progress.

Triple Nine 29-May-2004 19:43

Good luck M8

skidlids 30-May-2004 00:19

What a excellent start to this years TT for us.
Adrian says the bike is handling brilliantly and is a real flier, on Monday he will try a one tooth smaller rear sprocket as it is reving so freely (Thanks Dynotech)
Out of tonights 400 runners he was the 3rd fastest rider and had the 4th overall fastest time. with a 103.13mph lap, even his standing start first lap was enough to qualify when he did a 99.81mph.
I'm glad to see our 400 was faster than Maria Costello on her 600 and only a couple of 100ths of a MPH off the odd GSXR1000.

Top Times
1 54 PHILIP STEWART 400 Yamaha FZR 21:49.9 103.69

2 56 ALAN BENNIE 400 Yamaha FZR 21:53.0 103.45

3 56 ALAN BENNIE 400 Yamaha FZR 21:54.1 103.36

4 63 ADRIAN CROSSAN 400 Kawasaki ZXR 21:57.1 103.13

On the darker side of the TT it is sad to report today there has already been one fatality which was a French racer.

skidlids 30-May-2004 00:26

Must point out a small few of the front runners in the 400 class such as John Mcguinness, Johnny Barton and Richard Britton were out on their bigger bikes, but we are still looking good, cant wait until Wednesday practice when I will be there.

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by skidlids]

skidlids 30-May-2004 21:27

Following a couple of minor nigles in Yesterdays practice, both the clutch and gear shift mechanisum has been changed today, swapped with the ones from the spare engine. Also a 44 tooth rear sprocket has replaced the original 45T. Fuel consumption is looking good as after yesterdays two laps there was just over 2 litres left in the tank.
If tomorrows practice is wet then only one lap will be done, if its dry then it will be another two laps so then we can see how the effect of the gearing change on lap times and fuel comsumption, but as long as we get one more session with 2 laps before race day we will be OK.

Rattler 30-May-2004 23:17

Good reporting mate, keep us informed.

Nice one...

Tim

skidlids 31-May-2004 23:06

2nd fastest in 400 class this evening with a 106.43mph flying lap even the standing start lap was over a 104mph. Awesome now to go and phone him and get a run down on tonights practice

skidlids 01-Jun-2004 03:35

2nd practice session was held on Monday evening and although a few of the top 400 riders were again out on their bigger bikes Adrian put in a couple of blinding laps with the bike pulling the slightly higher gearing really well.
In the 400 class he was 2nd fastest overall with a lap of 106.43mph with the standind start lap at just over 104mph, he commented on how a few of the 600 and 1000 proddy bikes were holding up so thinks there is still a bit more to come.
As the bike was missing the odd apex by a couple of inches he is going to try a slightly increased rear rideheight.

Also going well is Dean Silvester on Steve Caffyns CSC Racing R1 which Mark Buldock normally rides, looks as if Adrian, Dean and Steve are conspiring together to volunteer me for a entry in next years Manx on the ZXR400. We will see.
Dean will be riding Steves CSC 996RS at this years Manx and could well win it after finishing 4th first time out on it in last years Senior ManxGP which was also his first time racing a V-twin, which again is usually raced by Mark on the short circuits here, last year in the MRO and also at the Castle Combe meet that some of the Hants DSC lads came along to watch and this year the bike has been winning all the North Glos Sound of Thunder races, its a EX GSE Bike frttled by JHP.

Hopefully when I get out there tomorrow I might be able to get access to a PC and add a few more updates, If not I'll let you know how we got on when I return.

WeeJohnyB 01-Jun-2004 11:50

Great reports, please keep it going if you can....it almost feels like we're there. Best of luck.

WeeJohnyB

skidlids 05-Jun-2004 13:31

Since I left home there have been practice sessions on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday evenings, I missed the Tuesday one as I was traveling up the motorway to catch the Ferry. Adrian only did one lap which was near on a 104mph as other riders did flying laps it Appeared that Adrian had dropped down the leader board.

On the Wednesday we spent a lot of time hunting around for a smaller rear sprocket but without any luck. So the Wednesday evening practice was again only 1 lap, with no changes to the bike over the previous night the lap time was identical as we were limited by the gearing.
Thursday we had two sprockets turn up a 43 tooth and a 42 tooth so were hoping to try one of them in the Thursday afternoon practice. But this was cancelled due to rain and low cloud on the mountain.

So for Friday evening practice we fitted the 42T rear sprocket along with a new SuperCorsa rear tyre. Wasn't sure if Adrian was going to do 1 or 2 laps as it would depend on if the bike was pulling the gearing, The standing start lap was a 21min 29secs at a speed of just over 105mph, as Adrian came across the line at full chat on the opposite side of the road from the pit lane it was obvious he was going for a flying lap. 20mins and 55secs later he again crossed the line for a speed of 108.2mph. Putting him 4th overall that evening. We still had some fuel to spare in the tank so should be OK for race day.

A new front SuperCorsa has been fitted and the bike checked over and we are now ready for Monday Raceday, which looks like it will be the last time the 125s and 400s will be run at the TT.

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by skidlids]

Rattler 07-Jun-2004 12:59

Great stuff!

Ozz 07-Jun-2004 13:21

Excellent stuff. Will be looking out for the race today. Looks like it has been delayed again.

Ozz 07-Jun-2004 14:56

Delayed delayed delayed! Mist coming in.

Ozz 07-Jun-2004 16:26

Watching the thing live (well website showing timings) but he doesn't appear to be going!?

Ozz 07-Jun-2004 17:22

Appeared to be 14th after lap 2 but no details on final result yet.

Ozz 07-Jun-2004 20:41

Doesn't look like he finished as per the provisional results.

bradders 09-Jun-2004 01:16

looked out for him (by name) on the M&M coivergae tonight, it was 125/400 class, are they dispanding these classes after this year?

chris.p 09-Jun-2004 07:36

Texted Skidlids last night, Adrian is in Nobles hospital, a few broken ribs, bruised liver, knee needs an xray, burn on the leg thats needs a skin graft.

Both mine & Cathys best wishes go to him for a speedy recovery.

As for what happened I do not know yet, will have to wait till Kev gets in contact or puts an update post up.

Chris.:roll:

Ozz 09-Jun-2004 09:03

Blimey. Best wishes to Adrian for a fast recovery.

skidlids 10-Jun-2004 22:06

Right I'm back 4 days early with Adrians van and my road bike in it along with the spare ZXR400. Most of the race bike has gone in the skip.
Adrian is VERY LUCKY TO BE ALIVE, thankfully he is slowly recovering and will hopefully get a skin-graft soon. Knee doesn't seem to bad. He had to go back on Oxygen this morning as he has been over doing it with quite a few visitors, mainly marshalls.
Still not certain what happened, various reports from marshalls etc that point to either a problem with the bike or the bike clipping some debris in the road. As of yet I have found nothing obvious with the bike, no broken or loose clip-ons, same goes for the foot rests and the steering damper was all OK, all of which is amazing considering the state of the bike.
May have to save the pics for Pronto or Bike Sport.

The race had been going really well, finished lap1 in 13th place and then moved up to 12th at the end of lap 2 .
The pit stop went well , he completed lap3 in 11th place
Then on lap 4 with a likely finish of 8th place he crashed at the Black Dub and was air-lifted to hospital.

following day I pit crewed for Dean Silvester on the CSC Yamaha R1 in the Proddy 1000 class and low and behold he came off it on the final lap, this time it was a low speed spill at the Gooseneck which he walked away from with some minor bruising.

BDG 10-Jun-2004 23:04

Skids

So sorry about what happened, hope Adrian makes a quick and full recovery.

Rattler 10-Jun-2004 23:06

Sorry to hear this - hope he gets better soon

TP 11-Jun-2004 11:49

SH*TE!!!!

I hope Adrian is ok, and makes a speedy full recovery!!

Poor *******!

Whele 11-Jun-2004 15:48

Soory to hear the news Kev, glad Adrian's OK and recovereing.

See U soon

skidlids 11-Jun-2004 20:04

Thanks for the thoughts guys I'll mention them to Adrian

To give you a idea of the damage here is a pic of the engine

chris.p 11-Jun-2004 20:38

Give Shaun at R&S Performance in Worksop a ring, I believe he has some crankcases, drop me line if you do not have the number.

[Edited on 11-6-2004 by chris.p]

skidlids 11-Jun-2004 20:49

Cheers Chris but I have a spare engine, besides the crankshaft is snapped off on the No1 cylinder big end only leaving the inner crank web for that cylinder, the conrod is also missing apart from the small end, the block is cracked up to the cylinder head, sump and clutch cover were ripped open and the generator has vanished. Hope to salvage the tuned cylinderhead and the race inlet cam, Ram airbox is salvageable but carbs need replacing as does the modified radiator.
Along with the two parts of the engine here is a pic of the other bits we salvaged

chris.p 12-Jun-2004 08:56

Mmmmm, not a lot left mate.
Off to Silverstone today & tomorrow, if your going give me a bell, will meet up.

ianh 13-Jun-2004 01:31

Hi Skids,
thought i,d produced some scrap this year !, glad to hear Adrian,s OK, catch you later ,
Ian

skidlids 13-Jun-2004 10:56

Cheers Ian, thanks for the U2Us,
Have you got your bike sorted and whens your next race.

I was hoping to do a few North Glos and New Era meets next month but in light of the TT accident and loss of transponder I may give them a miss.

Kev

skidlids 20-Jul-2004 11:20

Well Adrian is back on the road again and should be riding his 1946 Matchless to the Hagbourne bike night this evening.
He is still waiting for the Skin graft on his leg which will hopefully be done in the next couple of weeks

A few pics and info from this years TT can be found here
http://www.iomguide.com/races/databa....php?rider=399