Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Any thoughts on 2006? (/showthread.php?t=17337)

domski 08-May-2005 19:46

Any thoughts on 2006?

I know it v.early in the year, but does anyone have any ideas/proposals for next season?

A new class for 900SS/800ie with slicks? (the old man mentioned this before, I think it's a great idea)

Keep the 600/620 class limited again with no big bores? or increase to 680 across the board?

Wets?

Warmers?

The Pirelli's work very well I think in the dry.

How many rounds? 6 is good, maybe max of 8? Any more and it gets expensive and time off work is a problem etc.

Defo would love to do Oulton Park in 2006.

What do you guys & gals think?

Yes, I am still THAT bored :lol::lol::lol:

domski 08-May-2005 19:54

Quote:

Originally posted by weeksy
Myself, Crust and R1-Ian are planning on entering a bike next season. That's only assuming the 620ie are not allowed big bores as we'd be running a 583. We don't mind wets, warmers and slicks though :)

You'd never get off the line with 3 of you on it :lol:

...or are you getting one each?

ericthered40 08-May-2005 20:01

not racing this year but next year warmers would be nice :saint:

domski 08-May-2005 21:14

I've heard worse ideas ;)

Be cool to have you out there dude. You can show us all how it's done :P

TP 08-May-2005 21:32

Well ... lots of interesting stuff could be done I think. It's a bit exciting to be in situation to suggest these changes and actually have a possibility that one of them will be adopted.

So - lots of ideas about how it could be progressed. First of all, I think it would benefit the club to keep the current desmo due series going - to allow the entry level racing.

I have two idea's about another championship that could be run alongside it. First is running 900SS's and the second is running 748's (no R's or SPS's though) Same deal with regards to engine mods, FI is free, shock free, fork internals free, clutch free but the heads aren't allowed to be touched. I would include any road legal tyre with warmers and wets.

Tonio600 08-May-2005 21:39

I think DD is perfect like this.
I wouldn't like any change for next year. But maybe my riding skills...

TP 08-May-2005 21:47

Quote:

Originally posted by TP
Well ... lots of interesting stuff could be done I think. It's a bit exciting to be in situation to suggest these changes and actually have a possibility that one of them will be adopted.

So - lots of ideas about how it could be progressed. First of all, I think it would benefit the club to keep the current desmo due series going - to allow the entry level racing.

I have two idea's about another championship that could be run alongside it. First is running 900SS's and the second is running 748's (no R's or SPS's though) Same deal with regards to engine mods, FI is free, shock free, fork internals free, clutch free but the heads aren't allowed to be touched. I would include any road legal tyre with warmers and wets.

I forgot to say, an 8 round series as well :D

And I'd prefer a 748 series to be honest - I think it would be pretty cool.

AK 08-May-2005 21:53

2 sections within the starter class: 620's and std 583's
Means it wouldnt be too expensive for new entries:) keep control tyre & all susp etc as now.

add in a class for up to 900's - all mods permitted warmers/wets - the lot, and Bobs your uncles auntie:D

C

skidlids 08-May-2005 21:57

I rember having a discussion last year on Bikes for a DSC race series, the class would have included 748's no engine tuning, no R's or RS's, 900SSie again no engine tuning and 900SS's allowed to use 944 kits and free carbs. Sadly since that discussion I have sold the 748 I trackdayed and raced last year to enable me to do the Desmo Due series.
Only real change I would like for next year is seperate classes for the differnt types of Desmo Due. Happy enough to have wets introduced but not to bothered about warmers if we used Diablo Corsas alongside wets.

domski 08-May-2005 22:04

748's seem to be way cheaper than 800ie's too, if there was a 900ss/800ie class.

16 x 748's on biketrader for under £4000 (same as a 620)

I think the main issue would be getting enough people in both classes, otherwise could end up with 15 x 600's and 10 x 748's.

phoenix n max 08-May-2005 22:08

I'd like to see a 583 class but i'm biased ;) I'm happy not to have warmers but wets would be nice even though it increases cost. I think the tyres behaved very well on the whole.

TP 08-May-2005 22:08

Quote:

Originally posted by domskidue
I think the main issue would be getting enough people in both classes, otherwise could end up with 15 x 600's and 10 x 748's.

Fair point. I think we'd end up with more though, but I can't substantiate that, just a gut feeling.

psychlist 08-May-2005 22:20

Errr!?!

"Don't run before you can walk"

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Etc. Etc.

Some of us haven't even got to grips with THIS year yet and already there's talk of changes for next year? Trying to do this on a budget is looking nigh on impossible!

When this DD series proves the success at the end of the year that it appears to be already then there MAY be a case for expanding the DSC range of races but after the tremendous effort put in by the organisers to get this series off the ground we should all be working towards maintaining it's attraction and ensuring it not only continues next year but is just as successful ;)
We've got the field as level as reasonably possible at the moment, wet tyres (more cost) means spare wheels (more cost) and tyre warmers (more cost) at Cadwell would probably have been a waste of money anyway.
Somebody give Dom a chess-computer to keep him occupied please :lol: :P :lol:

AK 08-May-2005 22:21

Quote:

Originally posted by phoenix n max
I'd like to see a 583 class but i'm biased ;)

I agree Lin:) not just cos we have a 583, but there are likely to be more of the 97 - 2001/2 M600's that will be coming on sale. Also, add in the 600ss' that also could be about, and you could have almost an equal playing field.
There were limited BB kits for the older bikes this year and none for the later carbed ones, so factoring this in, to split the class could be the way to go.

Quote:

I'm happy not to have warmers but wets would be nice even though it increases cost. I think the tyres behaved very well on the whole.

again, the option to take this up would be usable - riders choice dependants on their budget. But keep it as an option.
As Ian (old man) said in another thread - he was glad to have the exisiting tyres, as he wasnt worrying to much at being held in the paddock due to a hold up at the end of the previous race.

C:)

ali 08-May-2005 22:25

900ss/sl/monsters, absolutely no engine work, free shock and free fork internals, standard brakes, diablos, free exhaust, free air filters/jets.

Loads of em about for less than a 600, cheaper parts than a 600, more high-sides than a 600!:D

My 2p; any 4V series is going to cost a bloody fortune, as much as I'd love to race a 748 :ninja:

Ali

TP 08-May-2005 22:28

First up - Paul, we're just putting forward some idea's is all. I think the current Desmo Due series is, and will continue to be, a roaring success.

Which is why I think it should be maintained into 2006 - even at the expense of any other DSC series starting. I personally would love to see a 748 series get off the ground as well and I'd love to take part in that - Desmo Due and Desmo Quattro. Although Ange (my wife for those not aware) would prefer me to stay in Desmo Due as I've already spent the money on the bike etc ... It would stop me talking about minitwins though and I think she would appreciate that :D :frog:

I can but dream ...

domski 08-May-2005 22:31

Quote:

Originally posted by TP
we're just putting forward some idea's is all.

...and I'm bored again :lol::lol::lol:

You lot will be wrapping me in cotton wool at Castle Combe to ensure I don't break any bones again :lol:

TP 08-May-2005 22:33

Quote:

...and I'm bored again :lol::lol::lol:

You lot will be wrapping me in cotton wool at Castle Combe to ensure I don't break any bones again :lol:

Nah, you're finding some pace - I'll be breaking your arms but making sure I do your fingers as well though ;)

domski 08-May-2005 22:36

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I nearly fell off my chair then ;):D

TP 08-May-2005 22:37

Quote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Did you break anything?

:frog:

phoenix n max 08-May-2005 22:42

Quote:

Originally posted by TP
It would stop me talking about minitwins though

Pah - race a Sluiceooki over a Ducati ? :o

TP 08-May-2005 22:43

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by TP

Nup - race an 800SS against the Sluiceooki's

New rules allow air-cooled bikes up to 820cc to run in minitwins.

domski 08-May-2005 22:44

Quote:

Originally posted by TP
Quote:

Did you break anything?

:frog:

Wind!! :o:saint:

phoenix n max 08-May-2005 22:45

Quote:

Originally posted by TP
Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by TP

Nup - race an 800SS against the Sluiceooki's

New rules allow air-cooled bikes up to 820cc to run in minitwins.

Thats more like it :)

skidlids 08-May-2005 22:53

So how much would a Ducati 750ie cost, got to be cheaper than the newer 800's and could still be a cheap laugh in Mini twins. Would the 750ie engine be a straight swap with a 620

Loz 08-May-2005 22:58

Quote:

Originally posted by skidlids
So how much would a Ducati 750ie cost, got to be cheaper than the newer 800's and could still be a cheap laugh in Mini twins. Would the 750ie engine be a straight swap with a 620

Hi Kev
You can have my Y-plate 750Sport for £3000, but you're not allowed to look at it first (or know the mileage)!
:lol:
I believe the engine is a straight swap with the 620.

TP 08-May-2005 22:59

Quote:

NFI mate, haven't looked into it.

I was looking at buying a M800 or something. The ohlins shock I bought will fit the M800 but not the S2R so could be a plan for me if I went that way.

If there was a 748 DSC Desmo Quattro series I'd be keen on that I think.

Given the amount of spares around and fairings etc for these bikes I can't see how they would be much more expensive than a 900SS/monster series.

Obviously I acknowledge that my knowledge in this area isn't my strongest point so can anyone plump up some rough numbers that would show the 748 series being more expensive? Ali?

Monty 08-May-2005 23:00

Ok, some thought behind the series we have NOW.
We thought of 748's-bit expensive, not to buy but to maintain so not really an entry level bike.
The original DesmoDue idea was to use 750's-which got changed since they are conparatively rare.
I wanted 900's since there are loads of them about-but got outvoted since they are faster and heavier so as Ali said-more highsides.
So we settled on 600's and apart from the 583-620 debate it looks pretty good don't you think-was certainly a big topic of conversation at Donnington today.

John

AK 08-May-2005 23:01

the 620's use the part of the 750 engine Kev, thats why they are miles away from the 600's in bhp/power

Regrettably, the M750ie was only sold in the UK from Nov 2001 to July 2002, (any after that were 'old stock' bikes, pre 800ie launched in the late autumn 2002, which in turn was discontinued for the S2R launched last year) so they are quite a limited bike - like the M800ie's, tho I dont know about the 'ss's.

C

TP 08-May-2005 23:02

Quote:

Originally posted by Monty
Ok, some thought behind the series we have NOW.
We thought of 748's-bit expensive, not to buy but to maintain so not really an entry level bike.
The original DesmoDue idea was to use 750's-which got changed since they are conparatively rare.
I wanted 900's since there are loads of them about-but got outvoted since they are faster and heavier so as Ali said-more highsides.
So we settled on 600's and apart from the 583-620 debate it looks pretty good don't you think-was certainly a big topic of conversation at Donnington today.

John

What was the talk about today Monty?

I hasten to add that I would see any new series as being an addition to the current Desmo Due series.

skidlids 08-May-2005 23:04

sold my old 916 Strada race bike with slipper clutch, Ohlins shock and a few other bits for £2800 and I sold my 748 racebike with the SP engine for less than that with spare wheels.
So going the 620 route is not necessarily the cheapest way into racing a Ducati,

AK 08-May-2005 23:07

Quote:

So going the 620 route is not necessarily the cheapest way into racing a Ducati,

which is why I think the field should be split for next year - saves newcomers spending lots on 620's or BB kits - can just run std 583's and still be in with a good chance in 'their' section:)

C

skidlids 08-May-2005 23:11

Quote:

Originally posted by Monty
So we settled on 600's and apart from the 583-620 debate it looks pretty good don't you think

I'm sure it will look alot different after the next two rounds where top speed is going to count a lot, there is no way my 583 will be able to pull the same gearing as a 674 or 620, especially the 6 speed ones.
At least I have a fairing, be handy if I could tuck in behind it.

Loz 08-May-2005 23:11

It isn't just the cost of purchasing of the bike that is relevant here ... air-cooled 2Vs are cheaper to maintain than 4V jobbies, so the running costs for DesmoDue will always be less than for "DesmoQuattro". IMO.

domski 08-May-2005 23:14

Quote:

Originally posted by Loz
It isn't just the cost of purchasing of the bike that is relevant here ... air-cooled 2Vs are cheaper to maintain than 4V jobbies, so the running costs for DesmoDue will always be less than for "DesmoQuattro". IMO.

No one is disputing that Loz.

The idea of 748's or anything else would purely be an EXTRA class, not a replacement.

Obviously people then have a choice :)

TP 08-May-2005 23:19

Quote:

Originally posted by Loz

It would be the overall cost that I would be looking at though. If we went down the 2V 800 route then the 748 would be significantly cheaper to buy and would therefore offer you the same overall cost or in fact be actually cheaper. The 2V 900 might be cheaper again. But if we already had the 'cheap' class as the Desmo Due series then I don't see why a slightly higher spec Desmo Quattro (or Desmo Due but larger capacity series) wouldn't be a great addition to the DSC racing calendar for '06.

Given that and if I had the choice I would choose to race a 4 valver. For me that's what they were designed for so it makes sense to do it - there's a sort of romantic appeal to it for me. Don't tell my wife I used that R word in a sentence!

If I had larger genitals I'd consider getting a 748R or similar and run it in the axe murderers next year.

But sadly I don't :(

Loz 08-May-2005 23:19

Sure thing Dom, just answering Skidlids post. Although, I have a worry that by providing a choice of series, you may possibly split a finite "pot" of participants into two (or more) under-subscribed series. Maybe after a second year of Desmo Due is a good idea?

My personal opinion is that discussing an additional class at this time is premature - but I acknowledge people's right to do so ;)

Loz 08-May-2005 23:25

Quote:

Originally posted by TP
It would be the overall cost that I would be looking at though. If we went down the 2V 800 route then the 748 would be significantly cheaper to buy and would therefore offer you the same overall cost or in fact be actually cheaper.

Sorry Tony, but why would 748s be cheaper than 800s over the course of a season (assuming a conservative one crash out of six to eight meets)?

Quote:

The 2V 900 might be cheaper again. But if we already had the 'cheap' class as the Desmo Due series then I don't see why a slightly higher spec Desmo Quattro (or Desmo Due but larger capacity series) wouldn't be a great addition to the DSC racing calendar for '06.

If you said 2007 calendar, you'd have no argument from me!

skidlids 08-May-2005 23:25

Between myself and Dallas we ran the 916 Strada for over 3 seasons, just replaced the oil, filter and Belts on a regular basis and the clutch once, so was quite cheap to race only marginally more than my Fireblade and less than my TL as I kept spending money on trying to get my TL to handle properly.

TP 08-May-2005 23:29

Quote:

Originally posted by Loz
Quote:

Originally posted by TP
It would be the overall cost that I would be looking at though. If we went down the 2V 800 route then the 748 would be significantly cheaper to buy and would therefore offer you the same overall cost or in fact be actually cheaper.

Sorry Tony, but why would 748s be cheaper than 800s over the course of a season (assuming a conservative one crash out of six to eight meets)?

Because 748's are a lot cheaper to buy when compared to the 2V 800's

Quote:

Quote:

The 2V 900 might be cheaper again. But if we already had the 'cheap' class as the Desmo Due series then I don't see why a slightly higher spec Desmo Quattro (or Desmo Due but larger capacity series) wouldn't be a great addition to the DSC racing calendar for '06.

If you said 2007 calendar, you'd have no argument from me!

Why does it matter? What difference would it make to you, or anyone else if it there were two series on offer for DSC members next year?

Please bear in mind as well that we're merely thinking out loud. I've stated above clearly that I think the current Desmo Due series would take priority over, and perhaps at the expense of, any other series that could get off the ground.