Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Magnesium Swingarm (/showthread.php?t=78794)

9rrr 13-Mar-2009 20:27

Magnesium Swingarm

Hi all. Im thinking of getting a Mag swingarm for my 996R.
QUESTION..Would I see a benefit.

How much lighter is it than the standard one.

Thanks Ian

skidlids 13-Mar-2009 20:44

I do have the weights somewhere and know its a decent saving in weight
One of he main benifits is the change to the weight distribution of the bike putting a bit more bias on the front end

9rrr 13-Mar-2009 20:58

Thanks Skidlids. If you do have the weight spec to hand. I would be really interested to know.

Does that mean I would need to have my suspension setup changed If I go ahead and get the mag arm?

skidlids 14-Mar-2009 01:04

Page 6 of the PDF
http://ducatibarcelona.com/ZonaDucat...SBK_chasis.pdf

9rrr 14-Mar-2009 21:19

Thanks very much for this. Much appreciated. Regards Ian

skidlids 14-Mar-2009 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9rrr
Thanks very much for this. Much appreciated. Regards Ian

Your welcome
Good luck in your search for a swingarm, its always worth a call to Jim at Bike Enders in Romford to see if he has any 01708 455530

They are not such good value new at the moment as the Exchange rate hasn't done us any favours

http://www.kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog....el&artikel=150

lapman 31-Mar-2009 21:28

hello lapman here,

When I did the mag swingarm fitted, I also had the mag triple clamps fitted as well, and a new rear spring better suited to my weight. a nimble 13st 7lb....

Both bikes had the corse floating rear disc with the corse rear brake and axle, looked flash but was ****, barely passed the MOT.

As with all things Ducati, you have to use racing lightweight wheels as the standard 5-spokes hit the rear brake!

Never had a problem slow steering on the 853 or the 998R.

I've found a picture of the 853sp i'll try and post it later.

Must be time for a "where are you now" type thing.

skidlids 31-Mar-2009 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapman
hello lapman here,

When I did the mag swingarm fitted, I also had the mag triple clamps fitted as well, and a new rear spring better suited to my weight. a nimble 13st 7lb....

Both bikes had the corse floating rear disc with the corse rear brake and axle, looked flash but was ****, barely passed the MOT.

As with all things Ducati, you have to use racing lightweight wheels as the standard 5-spokes hit the rear brake!

Never had a problem slow steering on the 853 or the 998R.

I've found a picture of the 853sp i'll try and post it later.

Must be time for a "where are you now" type thing.

Dean, good to see your still about, hopefully we'll get to see you this year

I think the Mag arm on Dean's 998R is pictured on his gallery page

tez996 01-Apr-2009 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapman

A good brake that works well doesn't always pass an MOT as its only done at less than walking pace and measures the clamping force on the disc not how well it makes friction ie when its warm etc....

lapman 02-Apr-2009 20:54

tez996, yep you're quite right, but on the bmw i have now i can easily lock the back wheel on the rear brake. Can't ever remember doing that on the Duke's even in a panic.

Kevin,
I'll be back on a duke fairly soon. getting the need for speed...

Posted a picture of my old 748/853 with the mag arm. It's a better picture than the one on the 998R
See you soon
Dean