Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Removing Rear Shock Advice/pitfalls? (/showthread.php?t=32811)

m1keyp 27-Jun-2006 21:48

Removing Rear Shock Advice/pitfalls?

I have just ordered a new rear shock.

The Haynes manual is fairly straight forward regarding removng the shock, so is it really that easy?

What can go wrong what should I look for?

Thanks Mike

keefer 27-Jun-2006 21:51

get plenty of WD40 or similar on the bolt at the bottom of the shock that goes through the swing arm.
that is normally the worst bit.
otherwise yep fairly straight forward

Bungi 27-Jun-2006 22:18

not sure exactly whatthe haynes manual says now.

i go about it by putting a strap around the sub frame and lifting the rear of the bike from a cross member on the garage roof, just enough to take the weight off a bit, the the bolts just pop out easy when there is no load on them. same to get it back together

desmobob 27-Jun-2006 22:29

It's easy.

I've removed two in the past couple of months and I have to admit it's so far the easiest bike to remove a shock from.

Obvious, but make sure you support the bike from somewhere other than the rear wheel. I removed the rear brake assembly and stuffed a piece of solid steel tubing in their, then stuffed similar metal in the transmission side where there's a hollow hole under the engine case. Lowered the two pieces of metal onto some axle stands I bought from Halfords for £20.

The shock linkage bolts can be a real b**ch to remove without taking the load from the rear wheel, so I used a piece of long 2x4 wood timber that I levered under the rear wheel while I undid the bolt with me left. Reverse to bolt back together.

9rrr 27-Jun-2006 22:31

remove shock

i FOUND IT FAIRLY EASY. i WOULD PURCHASE 2 AXLE STANDS TO SIT UNDER YOUR FOOT PEGS. THIS TAKES THE WEIGHT OFF THE SWINGARM. REMOVE RIDE HEIGHT ADJUSTER BY UN BOLTING THE BOTTOM AND TOP BOLTS. REMOVE TOP SHOCK. SIMPLE.

m1keyp 28-Jun-2006 20:01

Thanks everyone for the quick and reassuring replies.

I have an eazyrizer http://www.bike-lift.com/ bike lift so taking the weight will be easy.

Bring on my Maxton

Pete A 29-Jun-2006 10:43

Hi Mike,
If it's any help I've got a pair of modified axle stands that I use to slip over the foot pegs - (they've got tubes fitted lined with plastic bushes so as not to damage the pegs) - give me a ring?
Regards,
Pete

desmobob 29-Jun-2006 11:05

Only problem with lifting the bike totally off the floor is you then get the weight of the rear wheel pulling the shock linkage rather than pushing which can make undoing the bolts more difficult, and more so when re-fitting. If I were working on my own, in the future I'd most probably remove the rear wheel, you'll see :)