Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   05 999S vs 04 999R (/showthread.php?t=14518)

TP 22-Feb-2005 18:38

Quote:

Originally posted by flanker
says him who bought, erm what???
:lol:

But back to the thread.

Jools, I agree with your post but only up to a point. If we all bought bikes aligned withour ability's I have no idea what we'd be riding. But I certainly wouldn't be on a 996! Maybe a crappy 250!

Mark 22-Feb-2005 18:44

Not a 999R per chance, or maybe something else......

adam 22-Feb-2005 19:29

im not one to promote certain bikes :D but, get a 996R, 996R, 996R, 996R. that felt gooood

nathanhu 23-Feb-2005 00:52

i was in the same situation in Nov last year 2004 999r or 2005 999s

i bought the 04 999r for the same money as the 05 999s

the 05 bike (999s) has less power than the 04 R, no carbon fairing, heavy wheels, and above all the short stroke motor which still isnt in any other model in 05 other than the R
if you want to do track days get the R its a compleate package.

Ducnow 23-Feb-2005 11:45

Quote:

Originally posted by nathanhu
the 05 bike (999s) has less power than the 04 R, no carbon fairing, heavy wheels, and above all the short stroke motor which still isnt in any other model in 05 other than the R
if you want to do track days get the R its a compleate package.

My thoughts exactly.... but does the 999R comes with a racing exaust and chip like the 05 S?
And one more thing, i don't really plan to track day the Ducati (well maybe once just to get the taste of it) so i'll just use ti to street riding, what are the advantages/disavantages of the short stroke engine of the R over the S in street riding?
And does the R require more service than the S, or shorter service periods??

C'mon guys help out here

Twinfan 23-Feb-2005 11:52

999R comes with Termis and chip, yes. I would imagine the short stroke motor is a touch more revvy, but the press have said it's a great all round motor. Let's face it, it will end up in the 'lesser' models in the future.

I believe the service interval on all 749/999 models is the same, but the R's have a more detailed service each time i.e. cost more bucks and include belts every time. It's still 6000m or 12 months though, whichever comes first.

Twinfan 23-Feb-2005 11:53

You get a slip-on exhaust with the S and R by the way, not a full system.

Ducnow 23-Feb-2005 12:19

Quote:

Originally posted by Twinfan
999R comes with Termis and chip, yes. I would imagine the short stroke motor is a touch more revvy, but the press have said it's a great all round motor. Let's face it, it will end up in the 'lesser' models in the future.

I believe the service interval on all 749/999 models is the same, but the R's have a more detailed service each time i.e. cost more bucks and include belts every time. It's still 6000m or 12 months though, whichever comes first.

Thanks a lot for the info.
So both come with a slip-on and chip huh? :cool:

Twinfan 23-Feb-2005 12:43

Yup. They call it the assymetric system, and it's a CPU not a chip ;)

COL595 23-Feb-2005 15:59

DucSoon - you know I've just made this very decision. I went for the 'R'.

The only thing the 2005 'S' had going for it was the revised fairing - it is wider and higher, meaning it's easier to get behind.

I'm getting the brand new 2004 spec 'R' for only a little more than the price of a 2005 'S'. It's already taken a 25% depreciation hit, carbon everywhere, short-stroke motor, two exhausts, plus chip, cover, paddock stand, limited availability, that tiny little 'R' on the side, and paint that looks deeper and more lustrous (even though it's actually as thin as a coating of baby oil) - although I won't be able to exploit any marginal performance difference, it still had to be the better bet.

I went into the servicing costs quite thoroughly and they are very similar for both bikes. Although you might choose to specify belts every 12 months, I'm told Ducati themselves specify 24 months, even for the 'R'.

If you shop around, insurance costs can be quite similar too.

You're worse than me for prevarication - what would you call yourself if you bought one - DucGotIt?:lol: